Track teams shatter previous PRs in packed weekend

Coach Alex Wong and Assistant Coach Nick Jasso stand with junior William Zhu in front of the Joss tennis courts. The Men’s Tennis team are headed to the Liberty League Championships this weekend. Photo By: Vassar Athletics
Coach Alex Wong and Assistant Coach Nick Jasso stand with junior William Zhu in front of the Joss tennis courts. The Men’s Tennis team are headed to the Liberty League Championships this weekend. Photo By: Vassar Athletics

Women’s Track

The women competed at the Yale Springtime Invitational on Sunday, April 26. Senior Heather Ingraham was at it again setting yet another school record, this time in the 200m. In the 8000m the team had a great showing, with all three runners posting personal bests in their heat. Senior Taylor Quinn had a great showing in the 1500m, posting her first time under five minutes, with a time of 4:57.80, while fellow senior Cassidy Carpenter managed to take sixth place with a time of 4:50.73. In the 3000m freshman Olivia Martin was able to walk away with a solid fifth place, posting a time of 11:01.82. The women will host the Matthew Vassar Twilight Meet at the Weinberg Track on Friday, May 1.

Men’s Track

The men also competed at the Yale Springtime Invitational on Sunday. It was a day for personal bests as freshman Joel Johnson achieved a new one for himself in the 100m sprint, gaining ninth place in the process, while his classmates Peter Winkeller and Kyle Estrada were able to do the same. Junior Morrie Lam posted a personal best in the 200m with a time of 22.87, and took tenth place. In the 3000m steeplechase, freshman Noah Trueblood shaved ten seconds of his personal best scoring a time of 9:48.77. There must have been something in the water because the personal bests didn’t stop there, with yet two more Brewers also posting personal bests; sophomore Gabe Fishman and freshman Michael Scarlett both set new records for themselves in the 1500m. The men will also be hosting the Matthew Vassar Twilight Meet on Friday.

Women’s Tennis

It was a sad and joyous occasion for the women’s team on Sunday, April 26, as they topped St. Lawrence University 8-1 for their final home match of the season. The women took a quick lead over the visitors, winning all three doubles matches. Freshman Kate Christensen took her victory at no.1, which was followed by seniors Samantha Schapiro and Ava Sadeghi taking their matches in straight sets. Sophomore Emily Hallewell just took both sets, winning each 7-5. The lone loss came from a strong performance by the Lawrence lady at no.5, who was able to knock junior Winnie Yeates out, 6-3 and 7-6. The senior pair of Schapiro and Sadeghi received an emotional farewell ceremony at the end of the day. The women will be heading to the Liberty League Championships on Saturday, May 2, to compete for the league title.

Men’s Tennis

The men had two matches over the weekend, the first against St. Lawrence University on Saturday, April 25, which like the women was their final home game. Senior William Zhu was honored in a pre-match ceremony. The Brewers didn’t let Zhu down in their final home game, taking the match 8-1. The team took all three doubles matches, and like the women they lost the final singles match. In their final match of the season, the men travelled to Hobart College on Sunday, April 26. It was a different story heading out of the doubles competition, with the hosts up 1-2. However, the men redeemed themselves in singles, winning five of the six matches to take the day 6-3. The men will be heading to the Liberty League Championships on Saturday, May 2.

Women’s Rugby

The ladies headed to a tournament hosted by SUNY New Paltz on Sunday, April 26. The women played three games, beating the hosts SUNY New Paltz in the final by a hefty margin of 74-0. However, the women had to defeat two other teams before they could take the tournament title. In their toughest game of the day, the Brewers kicked off against University at Albany, missing seniors and captains Meg Slattery and Yael Schwartz, junior Darienne Jones led from the front. She earned three tries on the day. Although the women took a quick lead in the beginning, Albany was bale to haul themselves back in it and the score was 17-10 Vassar, but with a try from sophomore Mary-Margaret McElduff the Brewers took their first game 22-10. McElduff had an outstanding day setting a new school record for number of conversions scored in a season. The Brewers cruised past Bard in their next game, 69-0, and then defeated New Paltz in the final. The women will be sending a team to West Point’s 7s tournament, on Saturday, May 2. On Sunday, May 3, another team of 15 will head to Hofstra University.

Men’s Rugby

The men had their final game of the season on Saturday, April 25. They hosted Drew University, and set a new school record beating the visitors 105-17. Two hat-tricks were scored in this blow-out game, junior Zach Rippe was able to find his way over the line three times. Rippe had a fantastic game, and will be an exciting player to watch come next season. The other hat-trick came from the unlikely hero freshman Nick Olkovsky, who had a stellar game first at outside center and then at fly half, showing real promise as the Brewers look for new talent to replace nine graduating seniors, who are all regular starters. The men are not finished, as they qualified for a spot in the national 7s tournament held in Denver, Colorado on May 23 and 24.

Men’s Lacrosse

The men had their final Liberty League game of the season on Saturday, April 25 against Clarkson University at Clarkson. It was a hard-fought game, which ended with the Brewers losing 11-15. After the Golden Knights took the lead 6-3 heading into the second half, and with three quick goals to start things off in the second, they had solidified a strong lead. With things winding down, and the Knights up 15-8, the Brewers were able to shorten the margin with three late goals. The Brewers end their Liberty League run at 1-6. The Brewers play Swarthmore College on Wednesday, April 29.