Foodstagram: an account of a juicy summertime fling

The classic “Hey, how was your summer?” conversation is inevitable upon returning to school. In fact, the person who asks this obligatory question is often interrupted mid-sentence with the standard, “Good, thanks. How was yours?” It’s debatable if the two conversing are genuinely listening to one another, but the generic “back to school” script is pretty much protocol, so most people tend to just go along with it. After spending a great deal of time interning downtown in Manhattan, I’ve decided to spice things up a bit; my basic “good” has now been promoted to “delicious.” At first, people seem a bit startled by the succinct and unique response, but it’s the truth. For two months I was surrounded by endless options capable of satisfying each and every one of my culinary cravings; from the first day, I couldn’t turn away (I reassured myself that it simply would be rude to ignore them). Little did I know that this culinary conquest would also come with a long list of summer flings. It all started with my first ever Matcha latte, which I couldn’t help but describe as love at first sight. Or so I thought…

A few weeks later I was introduced to acai bowls. Initially, I felt bad about neglecting Matcha, my first love, but I couldn’t turn away. I was completely hooked until things started to get sticky between us. It was tempting to blame this on the drizzled honey and shaved coconut toppings, but truthfully, the authentic taco bar down the street simply stole my heart. And the list goes on. After trading in Prince Street for Poughkeepsie, I am beginning to reconsider whether these romances were more than just summer flings. Each time I sift through Instagram, I am reminded of the many dishes that molded my summer and true love for the creative culinary culture. As I find myself slowly adjusting to the #DeeceLife, I find comfort in the many “foodstagrams” that, after this summer, virtually fill what currently feels like my empty stomach void. Below find a few of my latest coping mechanisms, but I should warn you— follow at your own risk.

With an array of promising meals that come from a range of upscale to hole-in-the-wall secret spots, Jackie Gebel provides a library of photos that one can only dream to eat off the screen. The name speaks for itself with dishes that debatably taste even better than they look (and they look great). Guaranteed to keep your mouth watering all through the night.

Do you ever find yourself starving and simultaneously clueless as to what kind of “food mood” you’re in? Firstly, you’re not alone and secondly, HuffPost Taste is your fix. Prepare yourself for a full-fledged food tour as this account provides both photos of food across the fifty states and inspiration for your next dinner party. You probably won’t find your next diet trend here, however.

Via Instagram, Chef Dominique Ansel provides a taste of his latest creations, which his profile claims is “not always what you think.” Whether a pastry or entrée, each post is likely to leave you torn between admiring the exquisite, artistic details and yearning to devour it all at the same time. A follow earns you an instant visual sample that many have to wait hours in line to taste.

Stephanie Le is the mind behind “I am a food blog” and her 77.5k followers might argue that it could be the very best. Rather than posting pictures from her favorite spots, Stephanie Le goes ahead and recreates them, often with an artistic, appealing twist. It’s hard to believe that Le’s photos are homemade, which in turn, might motivate you to embrace your inner “top chef” too.

Gretchen Röehrs best describes herself as the grownup who is “still playing with food.” Röehrs’ sketches don’t just include food, they personify a plethora of foods into stick figure friends that might leave you pondering over what a radish bodysuit would look like on you. This account will make you understand that saying “bodys come in all types” in an entirely new way.