Strong starts signal successful fall for all Brewer teams

Men’s Soccer

The men’s soccer team opened up their season with a convincing 5-0 victory against Maritime College on Tuesday, Sept. 1. Five different Brewers scored a point on the day as Vassar netted four goals in the first half, including a header by senior captain Jordan Palmer that came on a cross from sophomore Reid Smith in the 15th minute. Senior Tom Weichert then scored off a free kick in the 22nd minute that deflected off the goalie. Sophomore Jose Novas lead the team with five points on the day and scored the next two goals off a rebound from a Wiechert shot and a ball from Palmer respectively. Vassar’s final score came in the 57th minute as senior Nick Hess headed a cross into the net. The men then headed to the Roger Williams/Squad Locker Classic this weekend where they faced Salve Regina this past Saturday. Vassar got out to an early lead via a goal from Palmer in the 33rd minute. The Seahawks then scored twice before freshman Tyler Gilmore scored his first collegiate goal with 2:10 remaining in regulation to knot up the game. The Brewers took the game into a second overtime before settling for a 2-2 tie. On Sunday, the men defeated Roger Williams University 5-1 to close out the weekend event. Weichert scored two goals and Palmer scored again on a header to lead the team as Vassar handed Roger Williams their first loss of the season. Senior Gavin Jennings also contributed a goal in the contest as Vassar finished the day strong.

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer team began their year with a tight 1-0 loss to Mount Saint Mary College on Wednesday, Sept. 2. Mount Saint Mary senior Melissa Guillemette scored the only goal of the game in the 71 minute. Despite a 10-6 advantage in shots on goal, the Brewers could not break through the Knights’ defense. This game snapped a 15-game winning streak for Vassar over Mount Saint Mary. The women were able to rebound this past Saturday with a 2-1 overtime victory against New York University. Freshman Audrey Pillsbury scored her first collegiate goal to give Vassar the lead in the 35 minute. NYU tied things up in the 52 minute with a goal from NYU freshman Megan Carver and almost took the game in the first overtime, however, Carver’s shot bounced off the crossbar. Ten minutes later, freshman Rebecca Andrews scored a game-winning goal as she received a ball collected with space down the left sideline by sophomore Amanda McFarland and headed it into the net to give the Brewers the win in dramatic fashion. On Tuesday evening, the Vassar women faced off against Western Connecticut State University. The Brewers defeated the Colonials 2-0 to secure their first shutout of the season. Vassar outshot Western Connecticut State 18-9. Junior Emily Krebs scored her first goal of the season to put Vassar ahead 1-0 and freshman Arianna Riemma tallied the first goal of her college career to give the Brewers a 2-0 lead that they would never relinquish. The women’s team will look to continue their successful play this weekend at the Stevens Engineering Cup in Hoboken, NJ where they will face Stevens Tech on Saturday at 12:30 and Whitman College the next day at the same time.

Men’s Rugby

Men’s Rugby The Fall 2015 rugby season began this past weekend. The men’s team competed against SUNY New Paltz on Sunday, winning a close contest 27-14. The Brewers began the game with clean, well-put together phases, but that quickly faded as the game drew on. Vassar’s first try came from junior Seamus Taylor on the right side. Later in the half, Vargas went over and sophomore Gary Garcia completed his first conversion of the year. Garcia then notted a penalty as the half drew to a close to give Vassar a 15-0 lead. Garcia, playing in his first rugby game ever, started at scrum half and played with intensity and toughness. Despite beginning the game with decent shape, the men began to tire in the second half as they missed tackles, failed to commit to rucks and let New Paltz back in the game with two late second-half tries to make the score 20-14. Still the Brewers managed to keep some distance as Vargas went over late in the game to score his second try and seal the victory for Vassar. The men look to build upon this effort and continue their winning ways against Siena College next Saturday.

Women’s Volleyball

The season began in Camden, NJ for the Vassar women’s volleyball team as they faced off against Rutgers-Camden Wednesday, Sept. 2. The women won three straight sets 25-16, 25-21 and 26-24. The Brewers were aided by their 11 service-aces on the day and to Rutgers’ one and held the Raptors to a .010 hitting percentage. Junior hitter Gabby Miller contributed seven kills, 10 digs and two blocks on the day to go along with three service-aces. Freshman Devin Gallagher added six kills in her first collegiate match as well. Sophomores Alex Sams and Bria Corham added six kills as well and freshman Annie MacMillan added a team-best 11 assists with her two aces and seven digs to round out her first game. This past Saturday, the women faced both University of New England and Lehman College in a tri-match and swept them both 3-0. They stopped UNE 25-18, 25-13 and 25- 22 respectively and were lead by Gallagher who added eight kills and four blocks on the day. Vassar fell behind 5-1 in the final set but fought to regain the lead at 6-5 with a kill from sophomore Alex Sams. After the match was tied at 10, the Brewers took control to close out the match. The Brewers also handled Lehman well, winning 25-16, 25-9 and 25-18. Gallagher again lead the team with 13 kills on just 25 attacks. Vassar had 39 kills in the victory, their most so far in a match this season. The team finished with a .290 hitting percentage in their final set, their best on the day. Miller puller her weight as well, contributing seven kills, six aces, eight digs and three blocks.