A brief trip through the wild, wild, NFC East

With an injured 2-0 Dallas Cowboys unit leading the pack, the NFC East is up for grabs and there’s really only one reason that’s the case. Every single team in the conference looks absolutely awful. Let’s go through each one of them as the standings currently read from top to bottom.

Dallas was the clear favorite to win this conference convincingly. They had the highest-powered offense in the conference last season lead by DeMarco Murray and Tony Romo, not to mention Dez Bryant as a phenomenal wide receiver. Fast-forward to week three of the 2015 season and not a single one of them is left. Murray went to Philadelphia in the offseason in an attempt to win a Super Bowl, leaving the best offensive line in the process. Bryant and Romo? Yeah, they are injured and not like “oh they might miss a game.” They are done until at least halfway through this season after suffering a broken foot and collarbone in back to back weeks. That leaves the offense in the hands of journeyman QB Brandon Weeden and tight end Jason Witten, which, if the fact that the Giants and Eagles took out the two big players means anything, indicates that the Redskins have a hit out on the longtime Cowboys player.
This brings us to talk about Washington, which won’t take long. Sorry, Redskins fans. It’s just not happening this year. Granted, everyone is surprised that they beat the Rams. There just aren’t really any dangerous weapons out there, unless you want to put DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon in the same category as Antonio Brown. With Quarterback held down by Kirk Cousins and Robert Griffin III out in exile somewhere, help really isn’t coming any time soon.
Now onto the Giants (be warned, I have bias here). These guys can’t finish a game for the life of them. They had the Falcons on the ropes last week only to let them leave the Meadowlands with the win. More importantly, they blew an upset against Dallas in week one because they forgot how many time-outs the Cowboys had left. If Victor Cruz can come back in form and help Odell Beckham Jr. out there, maybe Eli Manning will have a shot at bringing his team out of this mess. Also, Coughlin is in the hot seat this year, which pretty much always means the Giants win the Super Bowl, so my hopes are high.

Now onto the “New look” Eagles, and this has to be my favorite story in the conference by far (again, bias). A little back-story for those who don’t follow the NFL offseason because this story deserves its time. During the trade window, Eagles head coach Chip Kelly flexed his muscles and literally tore apart his entire team. The two most notable things he did were trade LeSean McCoy to the Buffalo Bills for linebacker Kiko Alonso (who might be injured for the season now by the way) and a straight up Quarterback trade with Sam Bradford coming from St. Louis and Nick Foles going the other way. Keep in mind: Sam Bradford is coming off his second ACL tear in as many years. Kelly also acquired Tim Tebow and DeMarco Murray in this time frame. However, he only kept Murray. So now to see how that’s paid off. To begin with, the Eagles are 0-2 having dropped games to the Falcons and Cowboys. Sam Bradford has given up five turnovers thus far and scored only two touchdowns. Meanwhile, Murray, the new secret weapon and last year’s best running back has rushed for 21 total yards. Also, he’s getting initial contact behind the line of scrimmage almost every time. The offense has been incredibly lackluster thus far, and if it doesn’t start getting up to pace, things are going to get ugly for Kelly.
Be it due to injury, poor roster management (which maybe still remains to be seen) or just awful clock management, no one is making a statement. It’s really looking like 9-7 is all it’s going to take here and there’s no way to tell right now who’s going to get there first.