Moraru’s skill on display against Skidmore

swimanddive.jpg-22313836563
courtesy of Vassar Athletics

Women’s Swim and Dive

The women had a great victory at Skidmore this past weekend, largely outscoring them 171- 98 and gaining nine event wins. Freshman div­er Mia Moraru had an incredible record-setting performance, breaking the school record in the 3-meter, six dive event with a combined score of 251.25. And this was after she just broke the same record with a score of 245.24, seven days ago. Junior swimmer Julia Cunningham won the 200-meter butterfly with a season-best time of 2:07.91. Overall, the Brewers had many strong performances, contributing to their 3-0 record for dual meets this season. Freshman Sammy Stone also had a strong meet, taking first in the 200 free with a time of 1:58.35. Next week the Brewers are swimming against RPI in Troy, NY.

Men’s Swim and Dive

The men also travelled to Skidmore on Sun­day, and also earned a victory with an overall score of 155-131. The Brewers record stands at now 2-1, while Skidmore’s becomes 1-2. Fresh­man Alex May won both the 1000 and 500-yard free for the Brewers, with times of 10:35.18 and 5:15.76 respectively. Junior Anthony Walker had a season-best of 2:01.11 in the 200 fly. The Brewers had a great performance individual­ly and as a team. Chris Cerutti, Jonah Strand, Greg Cristina and Anthony Walker won the 200 yard medley together with a combined time of 1:41.65. Next week, the men will accompany the women to RPI.

Women’s Cross Country

The Vassar XC teams travelled to Williams College for the ECAC Championships, their last race before the NCAA Atlantic Regionals this weekend. Because of the upcoming race, Vassar rested many of the top runners for the ECACs, but still managed to place 14th out of 46 as a team. Freshman Acadia DiNardo led the Brewers, finishing 48th overall with a 6k time of 24:41.6. DiNardo will be the seventh runner at Regionals this weekend, along with Vassar’s top six runners. The Brewers will head to Letchworth State Park next weekend for the upcoming NCAA Atlantic Regionals.

Men’s Cross Country

The men also competed in the ECACs and placed 15th out of 40 teams with 426 points. Fin­ishing first for Vassar and 48th overall was Ry Blume with a time of 27:52.9 for the 8k. Blume joined sophomore Michael Scarlett as the only other Vassar runner to finish first for Vassar in a race this season. The men too rested many of their runners in light of the upcoming NCAA Atlantic Regionals. Out of the Brewers, he was followed by Sophomore Jared Freedman who finished 58th place. Both Blume and Freedman will be reserves for the upcoming Regionals, which will be held in SUNY Geneseo, at Letch­worth State Park.

Women’s Squash

The women rolled past NYU with a 9-0 vic­tory, bumping up the Brewers’ record to 2-0. All seven Vassar players earned wins this Saturday. Both No. 2 freshman Fiona Agger and sopho­more Emma Glickman had a three-set win. No. 1 Sophomore Hannah Nice continues her unde­feated streak and senior captain Stephanie Zhu also breezed through her wins 11-2, 11-5 and 11-3.

Men’s Squash

Vassar Squash hosted NYU this weekend. The men fell to NYU 9-0. No. 1 Vincent Men­cotti had his first loss of the season, losing in four sets against Max McCafferty of NYU. Se­nior Ben Kurchin also had a four-set loss, after winning the third set 14-12. The Brewers will have their first away meet next weekend in Haverford, Pa., where they will go up against Haverford and Dickinson.