Avoid holiday food coma with leftover turkey recipes

Thanksgiving is a blessing and a sin. On the one hand, this annual holiday reunites families and friends over fantastic food and flavors, but on the contrary, it also has a tendency to terminate the meal in a post Thanksgiving food coma.

Between appetizers, entrees, sides and desserts, the Calorie Control Council claims that the average person will consume 4,500 calories during their Thanksgiving meal. For some, 4,500 calories is enough food for an entire weekend, but somehow the majority of us temporarily omit this observation in an effort to make the most out of this annual holiday.

The holiday revolves around indulging and yet the only thing one can usually stomach after a Thanksgiving meal is regret. However, this is only the first step to recovery. After accepting the facts of the feast, one must prepare to face the overflow of leftovers that are likely crowding your fridge.

Below find some remedies that happen to recipes that will not only ease all the bloating and exhaustion, but also distract us so that we can anticipate the holiday all over again next year.

Lunch: Thanksgiving Leftover Grilled Cheese

courtesy of Serious Eats

Grilled Cheese is always a good idea— es­pecially when it combines so many Thanks­giving favorites. Maintain the classic golden brown crust and melted cheese, but this time, take an extra step and add in leftover turkey and stuffing within your bread for an extra kick. Moreover, if you’re still feeling festive, swap your traditional tomato soup with some gravy.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 slices of bread

1/2 pound mixed Thanksgiving leftovers

turkey

stuffing

vegetables

1 to 2 slices of preferred cheese

1/4 cup of leftover gravy

Dinner: Turkey Enchiladas

courtesy of Serious Eats

Ever consider converting your Thanksgiv­ing turkey into an exotic enchilada? Probably not, but if you happen to still have some left­over turkey in the fridge, it is certainly worth a shot. With a little bit of help from Mexican mole sauce and turkey as the perfect filling and source of protein, this recipe tastes more like a fiesta than a Thanksgiving festivity.

Ingredients:

Soft Corn tortillas

1 1/2 ounces of shredded turkey meat (per tortilla)

3 tablespoons of vegetable oil

Kosher salt

1/4 cup homemade (or store made) Mexican mole poblano sauce

Crema and Crumbled Cotija Cheese

Sliced white onions

Fresh cilantro and lime

Snack: Turkey Paitan Ramen with Crispy Turkey and Soft-Cooked Egg

courtesy of Serious Eats

Test your test buds as you transform your annual Thanksgiving dish into a dynamic, re­nowned Asian recipe. This paitan-style ramen is not only creamy and filling, but also utilizes the most of your leftover turkey. The turkey bones will provide for a stellar broth .Let the broth reach a boil all while you prepare the ramen noo­dles separately to combine and ultimately top off with a traditional soft cooked egg and shallots.

Ingredients:

2 lbs Turkey drumsticks and/or thighs

16 Garlic cloves

1 3-inch knob Ginger

2 Leeks, whole

1 Onion, large skin on

24 Scallions

6 Eggs

6 servings Ramen-style noodles

Breakfast: Leftover Turkey Frittata

courtesy of Serious Eats

Turkey can feel tied to Thanksgiving, but luckily—frittatas are not. Start your day with a substantial and satisfying breakfast classic that utilizes all of the holiday’s major com­ponents (turkey, brussel sprouts, green beans and more) in a entirely different fashion. Plus, a little leftover cranberry sauce can’t hurt.

Ingredients:

8 eggs

Kosher Salt/ Fresh Pepper

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 shallot (thinly sliced)

1 jalapeño (deseeded and diced)

2 cups shredded brussel sprouts

1 cup green beans

3/4 pound of roasted, shredded turkey

1/2 cup of fresh parsley