VC battles foes, semester comes to a close

roundup2.jpg-23432499786
courtesy of Vassar Athletics

Men’s Basketball

On Nov. 20, the Brewers hosted the Vassar Annual Tip Off Tournament. They saw Ohio Northern University and bested them by a score of 81–77. Five Vassar men posted dou­ble figures on the night to help lead the young squad to a well-deserved win. Leading scorer was freshman Paul Grinde with 20 points in the game. That win qualified the men for the cham­pionship match. Sophomore Jesse Brown also had an excellent performance, chalking up 17 points, seven rebounds, and four assists.

The next day, the men fell to Rochester Insti­tute of Technology. The Brewers never held the lead and dropped to 1–2 on their 2015/16 season. Senior captain Erikson Wasyl led VC’s scoring with 19 points and Browne rounded out the scoring with 18 points.

On Nov. 24, the team took on Maritime Col­lege away in the Privateers’ Riesenberg Hall Gym. The Brewers delivered a 68–61 victory, putting three players above single digits, with Wasyl shooting 19 points, Brown with 15 and Grinde with 14. Junior Mickey Adams added 13 rebounds as well. Freshman Alex Seff saw his first collegiate play and nabbed four rebounds and two assists. Next up for the Brewers will be their game against Trinity College in non–con­ference play scheduled for Dec. 2 in Hartford, Conn.

Men’s Swimming

In a dual men’s swimming and diving meet on Nov. 21 against NYU, sophomore Jonah Strand posted two big wins, although the overall score ended 98–180 in the Violets’ favor. This puts the Brewers at 2–3 on their season so far. Strand swam a season–best in the 100 breaststroke and in the 200 breast, which placed him first in both. Freshman in the burgundy and gray Alex May was Vassar’s top finisher in the 1000 free stroke and in the 500 free. Up next for men’s swim and dive is the Liberty League Champi­onships Dec. 4 and 5 in Troy, N.Y.

Women’s Swimming

Vassar women’s swimming also went toe to toe with the Violets of NYU on Saturday, Nov. 21. Junior Julia Cunningham put up two wins, one of which, in the 200 butterfly, made the NCAA B–Cut. Overall, however, the Brewers fell 122–173. Cunningham swam a season best in the 200 butterfly and in the 200 IM which got her a second place finish, she also took first place in the 200 breaststroke. Freshman Hay­ley Schultz came in a close second in the 200 breaststroke and was VC’s top finisher in the 100 breaststroke. Freshman Mia Moraru posted a Kresge pool record on the diving side.

Men’s Fencing

On Nov. 22, the VC men’s fencing squad cel­ebrated their four seniors on their Senior Day during the Matt Lampell Tournament hosted at Vassar. They dropped only 15 bouts on the day, taking their seventh straight title at the tour­nament. They took a win on the day against Cornell University, RPI, Drew University, Uni­versity of Albany and RIT. The team honored seniors Justin Riley, Bo Peng, Zachary Wilson and Elam Coalson during their lopsided victory.

Women’s Fencing

The women’s fencing team also competed at the Matt Lampell Hudson River Invitation­al two weeks ago, posting a combined 161–28 record on the day, going 7–0 as a team on the afternoon. The team started the day with a 20–7 win over Drew University and subsequently defeated Queens College, Marist College, LIU, West Point, CCNY and Yeshiva University by scores of 24–3, 26–1, 24–3, 21–6, 20–7 and 26–1, respectively. The team also honored its four se­niors Lily Elbaum, Rachel Messbauer, Amreen Bhasin and Maggie Shepherd.