Phocas ’91 works to build smarter cities

image.jpg-24631818300
Jane Mangan ’91, left, and Robert Phocas ’91, right, stand with Professor of History James Merrell. Phocas gave a lecture last week on building sustainable cities sponsored by the department. Photo courtesy of Vassar History Department

Professor of History James Mer­rell let me in on a not-so-guilty pleasure this week: “One of the many joys of working with Vassar students is that you know they’re going to go on from your classroom into every field you can imagine, and some you can’t. Rob Phocas, class of ‘91, is a prime example of them.”

Phocas was a history major at Vassar and this past Tuesday, he re­turned to campus to give a presen­tation called “Where do we go from here: Building Smart Cities.” The lecture was co-sponsored by the History and Environmental Studies (ENVS) Departments.

Phocas is the prime example of someone learning from history to create the future. As the Energy and Sustainability Manager for the City of Charlotte, North Carolina, Phocas is in charge of developing and implementing the City’s feder­al Energy Efficiency and Conserva­tion Block Grant program (EECBG).

This grant, according to CharlotteNC.gov, is used for projects that focus on reducing fossil fuel emissions created as a result of activities within the community, reducing total energy use or improving energy efficiency in the trans­portation, construction and other sectors.

Merrell, who was Phocas’s thesis advisor when he was a student at Vassar, explained that Phocas’s lecture focused as much on the past as it did on the future. “His talk showed many of the traits that the History Department aspires to teach students,” Merrell said.

He went on to add, “It made clear how im­portant it is to understand the history of any topic, even one that might seem as contempo­rary as sustainable cities. The talk was very well organized, carefully structured, bristling with ideas and evidence. He presented it in a very engaging, even entertaining fashion, con­necting with his audience as every good histo­rian must.”

Anna Beeman ’18, an attendee of the pre­sentation and an Environmental Studies major explained her interest in the lecture. “It was interesting to see that many of these technolo­gies are ready and available for cities and busi­nesses to begin investing in them, the challenge now is to convince businesses that these types of investments are to their advantage,” she said. “Even Vassar has a lot of work to do with effi­ciency and sustainability.”

Associate Professor of History Leslie Offutt added prospective from the administrative side, saying, “The History department’s involvement in bringing Rob stemmed in part from the fact that the department had invited his wife Jane Mangan, also an ‘91 History major, to give an endowed lecture in the department.”

Mangan gave a lecture called “Family, Love, and the Law in Sixteenth Century Peru” on Monday evening. Offutt continued, “Given the fascinating work that Rob is doing with the City of Charlotte as its Energy and Sustainability Manager, and the fact that we’re always inter­ested in sharing with our students what they can do with a History major.”

For Vassar students, and all college students who may worry if they can find work with a history major, they can be comforted by Mer­rell’s words regarding Phocas: “He personifies the virtues of a Vassar education and the liberal arts more broadly, that it helps people acquire a habit of mind and a set of tools. Research and writing, sure, but also curiousity and a skep­tical, critical eye that will stand them in good stead regardless of what paths they ultimately follow after graduation.”

Specifically, Phocas’s involvement with EEC­BG is critical to promoting an economic stim­ulus for Charlotte. The Facebook event page for the lecture explained in greater detail, “The City’s U.S. Department of Energy-required en­ergy efficiency and conservation strategy. The strategy includes 17 projects designed to reduce fossil fuel emissions, reduce energy consump­tion, create new green jobs, and increase the use of renewable technologies.”

In addition to Phocas’s role as Energy and Sustainability Manager, he also serves as a lead staff resource and advocate for environmental initiatives and policies within the Environment Focus Area Plan, one of City Council’s five fo­cus areas.

As Offutt added, “The History department tries to showcase what its alums are doing in their careers, drawing out from those choices some sense of how their history major pre­pared them for the interesting and varied pro­fessions they’ve pursued.” Phocas has proven that a history major can be applied to various occupations.

Regarding what Phocas discussed specifi­cally, Beeman said, “I did agree with him that cities need to work towards a ‘smart’ system, and with that comes urban sustainability. I like how he emphasized the importance of a pub­lic/private partnership between the technology companies, businesses, and government that will help the business save more money, but also help the environment.”

For those of us who do not know as much about sustainability as Beeman, she provid­ed some background, “He discussed building smart metering infrastructure in buildings to track energy usage and work towards reducing energy consumption. Therefore, to businesses this technology is seen as a money saver.”

She concluded, “It’s a win-win scenario. Sell­ing it as “smart” instead of “sustainable” could turn the tide in businesses investing in more environmentally friendly technologies while also putting their business at advantage.”

Beeman did find one shortcoming of Pho­cas’ presentation. He suggested an iPhone app where everyone would be able to tap into the larger data grid and accustom their daily lives to it. She said, “The app would tell you that there was an accident on X street, or Y bus is late. However, not everyone has access to these types of technologies and it seemed that he was targeting a very specific audience.”

She continued, “Sustainability only comes with everyone’s participation, and if smaller businesses are unable to spend money on these types of technologies they begin to fall behind. I would like to hear more about these types of issues, especially since most cities have a siz­able low-income class.”

Although Phocas’ work comes out of an edu­cation focused on history, the work he is doing today is centered on a topic that many people are less familiar with. Merrell went on to say, “Rob’s field is something I knew little about. My biggest takeaway from the lecture was that, amid all of the justifiable alarm about such matters as global climate change and American politics, there is reason for cautious optimism. A lot of very smart and talented people around the world are coming together and working hard to combat the perils facing the country and the planet.”