Battled Brewers heat up during warm winter weather

wbbroundup.jpg-24809322272
Senior Alex Moon defends an RIT guard in the Brewers’ tough matchup this past weekend. Women’s basketball had a strong week with wins over William Smith College and Mount Saint Mary College. Photo courtesy of Vassar Athletics
Women’s Basketball
It was a busy week for the Women’s Basketball Team as they had three home games, two of which were conference play. They played a strong game Tuesday night against Mount Saint Mary College winning 64-49. Every team member on the floor brought intensity to the game. Sophomore Ariella Rosenthal led the night with 19 points while freshman Nicole Teta not only scored 13 points, but also had a career-high six assists. The Brewers were able to keep the Knights down through a strong defense. Mount Saint Mary was able to mount a late rally, but Vassar was able to close the game out. The Brewers led by as many as 16 in the third quarter, but the Knights closed the gap to three with an 11-0 run early in the fourth. Head coach Candice Brown called for more intensity and the Brewers responded, scoring the last nine points of the game to seal the victory. Friday night, Rosenthal again led the Brewers to a 55-50 victory with 21 points against William Smith College. The Brewers out-shot the Herons 37 percent to 34 percent. Vassar also beat them 9-4 at the foul line. Senior Rose Ser- afini was stellar on the defensive end with 12 rebounds and swatted away the Herons with a game-high six blocked shots. Vassar led 43- 33 after the third quarter, but William Smith came storming back with nine straight points to start the fourth quarter. Rosenthal hit two freethrows late in the game to give the Brewers a three-point lead and inevitably secure the victory. The game was exciting with multiple ties and lead changes but the Brewers gained five points within the last minute of the game to complete the night with their third straight win. That streak ended Saturday night when the Brewers lost to the strong opponents of Rochester Institute of Technology, who currently holds a 10-2 record in the Liberty League. Rosenthal, Teta and senior Caitlin Drakeley all scored double figures to help the Brewers, but the Tigers outshot and out-rebounded for a 73- 58 win. Vassar was out-rebounded 45-30. The game was neck and neck in the first half until RIT gained momentum in the second half, in front of the Brewers by at least seven points at all times, including a third quarter where they outscored Vassar 23-8. Serafini was dominant on the defensive end once again with a game-high four blocks. The Brewers still have three games to look forward to in the next two weeks.
Men’s Basketball
The Men’s Basketball team had a stellar week with two straight wins Friday and Satur- day night for the Brewers. The first game on Friday against Hobart College was led by sophomore guard Jesse Browne with a career-best 31 points including six triples, surpassing his pre- vious career high of 28 points. Freshman guard Alex Seff also had a considerable game with ten points and nine rebounds. The Brewers out-rebounded the Statesmen 40-27. The team also played solid defense throughout. Vassar shot 47 percent from the floor and used an 8-0 start to catapult them into the lead early on. While the Statesmen would eventually take a one-point lead, the Brewers answered back quickly with a 7-0 run of their own. The game was intense, with four ties with Vassar ultimately winning 75-66 for their third win in four games. The Brewers made a clear statement when fresh- man forward Chris Gallivan pushed the lead to 7 with 16 seconds remaining on the clock. Saturday, against Rochester Institute of Technology, the Brewers won again 72-65. This time around, they were led by junior Mickey Adams with his career best of 21 points. Seff also had a strong performance with 18 points and Browne contributed 15 of his own. Senior guard Erikson Wasyl also contributed 10 points to the game on his senior night. Adams hit back-to-back threes and Browne drilled one of his own to help the Brewers out to a 9-2 start. The game was close at the half with Vassar taking a 33-28 lead into the locker room. The Brewers opened their lead up to 51-34 before the Tigers stormed back with a 10-0 run of their own. Vassar led the match the entire night, with the Tigers only getting as close as six points to the lead twice. The two games of the week put the Brewers at 11-10 overall and 7-5 in conference play. They will have two away games next week before a final home game in two weeks.
Men’s Volleyball
Vassar Men’s Volleyball had an amazing week. Starting on Wednesday, the Brewers beat Purchase in three straight sets and continued the outstanding play into Saturday in which they defeated both Newbury College and Mount Ida College in three sets each. This contributes to their streak of winning four straight matches this season. The team posted 37 kills out of 60 attacks against Purchase and finished with 11 aces. They won the three sets by scores of 25-6, 25-10 and 25-18 respectively. Senior Reno Kriz finished with 10 kills out of 17 swings. Freshman George Diehl had six kills and hit a .714 for the night. Junior setter Quinn Rutledge had five digs, three aces and three kills. Vassar had 11 aces and held Purchase to -.015 hitting for the night. Coming off the Wednesday win, the Brewers kept on excelling. They trumped Newbury 25-19, 25-12, 25- 20, and Mount Ida 25-10, 25-15, 25-16. In the first set against Newbury, the Brewers posted a 7-0 run early on to open things up. During the third set, Vassar achieved 14 kills for a match-best as they scored 10 of the first 13 points to get the easy victory. Sophomore Matthew Knigge posted 10 kills during the match, while senior Erik Halberg had four kills out of five swings. Sophomore setter Zechariah Lee had a game-best 18 assists during the match. Great play extended into the match against Mount Ida with the Brewers hitting a .541 for the match. The team posted 37 kills on 61 attempts as Halberg and Lee combined for 30 assists. Vassar cruised through all three matches of the week playing only three sets each per contest. The team will play next Wednesday against the de- fending national champion Stevens Institute of Technology.