Moose, mousse, or meese: it’s simpler than it may seem

Photo courtesy of Rafaela Vega del Castillo and Sarah Evans

The mere thought of midterms often makes us want to eat our feelings. Or maybe eat ourselves into a well-deserved food coma. Don’t get us wrong, we’ve also found ourselves, spoon in hand, eating way too many servings out of the peanut butter jar than is socially ac­ceptable while trying to write that paper that was due yesterday. Trust us, we have all been in that situation many a stressed weekday.

When it’s Wednesday night and you’re fu­riously scraping those last precious bits out of the Skippy jar, and you’ve stuffed way too much peanut butter down your gullet to even be aware of your surroundings, it can be tough to consider adding something new to that list of desserts you crave during crunch time. Once again, we’ve all been there.

But, why eat peanut butter when you can eat a dessert just as easy, and infinitely more sat­isfying? You don’t even have to sacrifice those pretenses of being committed to your own health and wellness you’ve been holding onto to indulge in this decadence. We have found a salubrious solution to all our midnight crav­ings and we want to share it with you!

This Chia Chocolate Mousse is a better al­ternative to your run-of-the-mill chocolate bar. Why, you may be asking? How could I have been living this way all this time, you may be asking as well?

Well, this dish works at all hours of the day, from the moment you wake up in the morn­ing to the moment you pass out with your face in your organic chemistry textbook like last night.

Serve this little tidbit with a hearty scoop of bran or granola in the morning as a deli­cious, nutritious complement to your break­fast, dig into it unadorned during those few precious moments you have between classes or, perhaps most satisfyingly and necessary of all, dive into it as a homemade midnight snack when you’re hours into cramming for a test with no clear end in sight.

Better yet, this recipe is even easy to make in your dorm room, since there’s no need for baking and no complicated preparatory pro­cess to slow you down. So when you lock yourself away in your room for several days at a time to study for exams and your friends and family are distraughtly certain that you’ve gone missing, at least you won’t have to worry about that dessert fix that’s keeping you from murdering your housemates!

This recipe is packed with tons of omega-3, plenty of healthy fats and heaps of potassium, so we wouldn’t judge you for eating the whole jar (even if we hadn’t just done so ourselves). Since it is vegan and gluten-free, you can also share this dessert with practically anyone, re­gardless of dietary preference!

Late night, the desert can be paired with a number of full-bodied red wines or coffee. A merlot with hints of citrus would likely be an excellent addition to this bitter-sweet concoc­tion of almonds, banana and vanilla. For the early hours, combine this recipe with a cof­fee-shake to boost your energy and kick-start your metabolism.

As people who don’t eat dairy or gluten, we have often found the dessert offerings at the Deece to be desperately limited. Under such conditions we had no choice but to take mat­ters into our own hands, to forge our own cre­ative culinary path. After what felt like eons of brainstorming, we landed on the idea for a rather out-of-the-ordinary mousse.

It was difficult to believe, at first, that avo­cado could possibly be a good ingredient for a proper sweet treat. Little did we know, howev­er, that it would quickly and decisively prove us wrong, packing a subtle but unforgettable flavor that would forever change our original ideas of what makes for a memorable dessert. Needless to say, it now remains an essential ingredient of a dessert that we can’t seem to get enough of.

Follow in our footsteps by taking and try this healthy but indulgent Chia Chocolate Mousse!

Ingredients:

• 1  frozen banana
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp peanut butter (or nut butter of your choice)
  • 2/3 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
  • 1-2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 2 packets stevia
  • add 1 tsp mint, vanilla or almond extract