Spring seasons in full swing as Brewers get busy in heat

Baseball

roundup.jpg-25853076410
Senior catcher Cory Wuenschell prepares for an intense at-bat. The Brewers had a busy spring break as they played 13 games. A memorable highlight was sophomore Eric Strickland’s first career grand slam. Photo courtesy of Vassar Athletics

The Vassar Men’s baseball squad spent the en­tirety of spring break in Florida to begin its sea­son. The team played 13 games, ending the stint with a 5-8 record. Vassar opened their season in a non-conference doubleheader against Fitchburg State University. The Falcons bested the Brewers in the first game 5-3, but Vassar turned it around to take the second 2-0. The following day, the men took on Plattsburgh State for another non-confer­ence doubleheader. Vassar combined for 32 hits, coming out on top 13-3 in the first, but falling 9-6 in the nightcap. Despite winning the first contest, Vassar fell 6-9 to Plattsburgh.

On March 16, the team moved to Winter Hav­en to face off against Keene State College in the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational. Unfortu­nately, the Brewers were bested 2-12. Bouncing back after the tough loss against Keene, the Brew­ers faced University of Wisconsin-Stout and fell 7-3 in the first game. Vassar shook off the first loss and came out swinging in the second, triumphing over Wisconsin-Stout 13-3.

In a hard-fought battle the next day, the squad dropped both games to Millikin University in non-conference competition. Both teams were held scoreless throughout seven innings. Unfor­tunately, Big Blue broke through with five runs in the top of the eighth to seal the win at 0-5. The second contest ended with Millikin victorious over Vassar 6-5.

In its first Liberty League contest of the sea­son, Vassar split the doubleheader against St. Lawrence University. Despite scoring early, the Saints fell behind Vassar after the men plated five runs in the bottom of the fourth. The Brewers fell 11-2 in the second challenge. In its final spring break game, Vassar battled St. Lawrence in a sec­ond doubleheader the subsequent day. The teams split, with the Brewers capturing the first 9-6 while the Saints earned the second victory 5-4.

Men’s Tennis

The Vassar men’s tennis team flew to South­ern California for the first leg of spring break and played five matches, finishing with a 1-4 record. The men had two matches on March 13. The Brewers fell to the Whittier College 3-6, and No. 8 Amherst proved even tougher competition for Vassar, besting the Brewers 9-0. The men turned things around winning 7-2 over No. 37 Chapman University on March 16. The following day, the squad lost to Trinity College 6-3. To round out spring break play, the Brewers fell to Tufts Uni­versity 2-7. After spring break play, the men are now 5-9 overall and remain 1-1 in league play.

Women’s Tennis

The Vassar women’s tennis team joined the men in the Golden State for competition during the first week of spring break. Vassar first took on Cal Lutheran University on March 13, falling 3-6. The next day, the women competed against Washington College (MD.) falling 3-6. The Brew­ers seized their first match in California over Chapman University 3-6. After a day of rest, the squad was bested by No. 6 Amherst 9-0. The final spring break match for the women was a close loss to No. 25 Whitman College 4-5. After spring break play, the women are now 6-6- overall.

Women’s Golf

The Vassar women’s golf team also traveled to California for spring break competition. The squad played its sole 18-hole game against Whit­tier College on the Eisenhower Course at In­dustry Hills Golf Club on March 17. Sophomore Kristin Diep earned individual medalist honors with a six-over score of 79, her career best. Cal­ifornia native junior Emily Prince also finished strong with 86, while freshman Evon Shay ended right behind with an 87. Senior captains Aimee Dubois and Angela Mentel chalked up back-to-back scores with an 87 and 88 respectively as sophomore Annie Hsu earned a 95. Despite playing well, the Brewers fell to the Poets 340- 329. After returning to New York, the team will host the Vassar College Invitational April 9-10 at Casperkill Golf Club.

Men’s Lacrosse

While other teams traveled this spring break, the Vassar men’s lacrosse team stayed home for competition. On March 15 the squad fought hard at home against Wesleyan University, but was ul­timately defeated 13-8. The Cardinals maintained a lead throughout the game as Vassar attempted to catch up. Freshman James Thomas shined in his first game for the Brewers, scoring a hat trick. Junior Steven Mages contributed largely as well with a team-high pick up of six ground balls. Se­nior Noah Parson and junior Sam Houston-Read each put away two goals for Vassar.

On the road in Newburgh, Vassar handed Mount Saint Mary College its first loss this sea­son on March 23, winning 13-6. The two teams battled evenly at the start, but the Brewers gained control in the second to maintain the lead. Par­son and Thomas each posted five points in the win, while six other Brewers scored as well. Ju­nior goalkeeper Brandon Crecco played with un­matched defense, blocking 16 shots.

Vassar used this momentum to capture its first Liberty League contest of the season 12-10 against Skidmore College on March 26. The Thorough­breds challenged the Brewers, even edging a lead multiple points during the game. But the Brewers continually matched Skidmore, fighting hard un­til the finish. Both Parson and Thomas scored hat tricks for Vassar, while Crecco defended expertly again with 11 saves. Houston-Read also played a large role with two goals and two assists as ju­nior Brandon DeStasio netted one and gave three assists.

Women’s Swimming

Junior Julia Cunningham repeated as an All-American on Friday, March 18. Cunningham won honors for her performance in the 200-yard butterfly at the NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships hosted at Greens­boro Aquatic Center. Cunningham became the second Vassar swimmer in school history to earn All-American honors twice. She broke her own school record during both of her swims and post­ed a 2:01.92 in the finals to take fifth place overall.