Breaking records, upsetting rivals par for Brewers’ course

Women’s Tennis:

roundup (1).jpg-26171991142
Freshman Morgane Flournoy and doubles partner, senior captain Kelsey Van Noy defeated Skidmore’s No. 3 doubles team 8-5 to begin the Brewers upset victory against the Thoroughbreds. Photo courtesy of Vassar College Athletics

The Vassar women’s tennis team topped ri­val Skidmore at home on Saturday, April 2 in a nail-biter 5-4 finish. Before the loss, the No. 19 Thoroughbreds boasted 40 straight Liberty League wins. The Brewers went up 2-1 in doubles after junior No. 1 duo Hanna McGuire and Shayna Becker beat All-American team Madie Benn and Michelle Fuca 8-4. New pair senior captain Kelsey Van Noy and freshman Morgane Flournoy won at three as well. The doubles edge carried over in singles as No. 4 sophomore Morgan Fitzgerald cruised past Erica Meno 6-2, 6-2. Although Skid­more tied the score at three-all, Becker’s 6-4, 5-7, 6-3 win at five set No. 6 Flournoy up to clench the match with a 6-2, 6-2 victory. Vassar is now 7-6 overall and 4-1 in conference play. This coming weekend the women will defend their Seven Sis­ter Championship title at home, where they will compete in a round robin tournament with Bryn Mawr College, Smith College, Mount Holyoke College and Wellesley College.

Men’s Tennis:

On Sunday April 3, the Vassar men’s tennis team took down Yeshiva University 7-2. Dou­bles started off strong as No. 2 pair junior Nick Litsky and senior captain Evan Udine quickly de­feated Steven Jemal and Charles Saka 8-1. Juniors Juan Felipe Laso and Alexander Luckmann had a more difficult, but still successful match at three, winning 8-6 against Mikey Ozery and Eitan Ru­dansky. The Brewers won the first three singles matches to capture the victory. Laso handily best­ed Jemal 6-1, 6-0 at four while freshman No. 5 Ja­mie Anderson also won by the same score. Not long after, Udine beat Ozery 6-0, 7-5 at three. No. 2 senior captain Daniel Cooper edged out a 6-4, 7-6 (7-0) win against Dmitri Lebedyev, whom he lost to in doubles. With the win, the Brewers now hold a 6-9 record overall and stand 3-2 in league play. The men will hit the road for Massachusetts this coming weekend to take on Massachusetts Institute of Technology on April 8 at 4 p.m. The following day they play Brandeis University at 10 a.m. and Emerson College at 4 p.m.

Baseball:

On March 30 the baseball team traveled to Annandale-On-Hudson to face Bard College in a non-conference game. The men came away with an 8-7 win over the Eagles after scoring four runs in the top of the ninth inning. Junior Brad Kend­all walked to force in a run to put Vassar within two then sophomore Eric Strickland grounded out to second base to give the Brewers the ulti­mate victory. On Friday, April 1, the squad bested Skidmore College 6-4 in both contests of the dou­bleheader. The men scored six runs in the top of the fourth to eliminate the Thoroughbred 2-0 lead and ultimately give them the win. The subsequent day Vassar and Skidmore faced off again, this time splitting the doubleheader. Skidmore took the first 2-0 while Vassar barely came out on top 6-5 in extra innings. After the weekend’s competition, the Brewers now stand 9-9 overall and 5-3 confer­ence competition. The men will continue Liberty League play in two doubleheaders against Clark­son University on April 9 and 10.

Women’s Lacrosse:

The Vassar women’s lacrosse team traveled to Danbury to take on Western Connecticut State on March 30 where they bested the Colonials 16-11. Sophomore Storm Sideleau contributed five goals while senior Isabelle Goldstein had three goals and three assists. The Brewers captured another win on April 1 18-11 against Liberty League com­petitor Bard College. Freshman Emily Hamburger shone with four goals as junior Phoebe Hankins posted a game-high seven points with six assists and a goal. Vassar is now 5-2 overall and 2-0 in conference play. The women face two more Lib­erty League challengers this weekend at home: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Friday and Skidmore College on Saturday.

Men’s Lacrosse:

In its second Liberty League game of the sea­son, the Vassar men’s lacrosse team fell to Rensse­laer Polytechnic Institute 5-17 in an away match on Saturday, April 2. Despite battling early, the men couldn’t match the Engineer’s strong play. Senior Noah Parson earned his 18th goal of the season while junior Sam Houston-Read notched his 13th. With the loss, the men are 4-4 overall and 1-1 in league play. The men will play at home this week against Drew University on April 5 and Clarkson University on April 9.

Women’s Rugby:

The women’s squad took on Fordham Univer­sity this past Saturday in an affair that saw Vassar rest all of its seniors. The match looked to be a challenge as Vassar was missing two junior start­ers as well. However the lady ruggers triumphed 46-5 in a contest that saw junior scrumhalf Jyen Wong and sophomore wing Alicia Menard-Liv­ingston score two tries a piece as junior flyhalf Mary Margaret McElduff break the record for most conversions in an academic year with 63.

Women’s Track:

On April 2 the Vassar women’s track team competed in the seventh annual Ramapo College Invitational and broke multiple school records. Freshman Annelise Depman finished third in the long jump finals at 5.05 meters to set a new record while fellow freshman high-jumper Sarah DeBen­edictis set another record with a height of 1.38 in the finals to tie for 12th. The women will first travel to Princeton University for competition on April 8 and then to Pomona, NJ for the Stockton Osprey Open the following day.

Men’s Track:

The Vassar men’s track team also traveled to Mahwah, NJ on April 2 to participate in the Ra­mapo College Invitational. Senior Morrie Lam finished ninth in the triple jump finals with a 13.01 time. Fellow senior Taylor Vann also had a strong performance after tying his school record in the high jump with 1.85 meters. The Brewers will compete at Princeton University on April 8 before the Stockton Osprey Open contest the next day.