Deece hacks: quick cauliflower fried rice for the #hanger

imagejpg_26382504625_o
Photo courtesy of pinchofyum.com
image-1jpg_26316307651_o
Photo courtesy of pinchofyum.com

I wouldn’t doubt that two of my most commonly paired words are: “I’m” and “starving.” In fact, not a day goes by when I am not yearning for my next meal. However, I often come into conflict since my starvation leads to an infinite feast of semi-healthy snacks, which in turn, often ignite this cycle all over again. So inevitably, when I think of “15-minute cauliflower fried rice,” a few things come to mind:

• Fried Rice—yum
  • Cauliflower—healthy
  • 15 minutes—simple, speedy and capable of creating in the Deece

As I stumbled upon a dish that not only met my criteria, it also appealed to my appetite so without hesitation I just had to give it a try. And might I add—I am quite happy I did.

It’s not like this recipe needs much convincing, but if you aren’t sold yet, I guarantee you will be after your first bite. What could go wrong with a recipe that is seemingly shaped for the hungry, creative, yet still on a budget college student? Nothing.

It’s easy, it’s efficient and even packed with veggies and protein to satisfy your cravings throughout the day. Choose between eggs, tofu–or both–and pack in some extra embellishments to shock your taste buds and friends that something so tasty can be cooked up in your own campus-dining hall.

Oh and remember the creative component mentioned above? This is where the cauliflower comes into play. Sure, you can easily just resort to rice, but why not switch things up and transform a regular veggie into its own rendition of grain?

If this is something you’ve done before, use this recipe as an excuse to master your skillset and show off to friends unless you’re a total newbie, which is fine since you’re in for a savory and healthy surprise. Veggies, a little oil, sauce, spice and pro­tein–what could go wrong?

To start, shred your raw cauliflower with help from a grater or first cutting into small pieces. Next, pulse the raw cauliflower into a food processor until it transforms into what will appear to be tiny grains of rice.

Don’t worry about soaking or pressing the veggie before/afterwards; all you need to do is take your mix into a pan and stir-fry. Meanwhile, separately combine carrots, garlic and a splash of sesame oil over a medium low-heat skillet. After five minutes, quickly mix everything together as you combine the cauliflower, edamame and additional sesame oil.

As you stir-fry your ingredients all at once, keep an eye on your cauliflower just to make sure that it maintains a soft, crispy texture.

Finally, upon completing the dish, make room in the middle of the pan to add in your eggs and/or tofu. Stir the final product until the protein is fully cooked and ready to be topped off with soy sauce and green onions.

While it’s not required in the recipe, many adventurous chefs tend to add in additional sesame oil/seeds, honey and oyster sauce to bring their regular rice to the next level.

Ingredients:

1 medium-sized head of cauliflower

2 tablespoons of sesame oil

1 large carrot, cubed

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup of frozen edamame

2 beaten eggs and/or scrambled tofu

2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce

6 green onions, minced