Versatile hummus a satisfying smooth spread for summer

hummus1jpg_26508439766_o
Courtesy of Garden of Vegan

Hummus. I love hummus. As I affirm my love, I admit that hummus has become a main food group of my college experience. Hummus and I, we are not mutually exclu­sive, as is the case of many college relation­ships. I’m okay with sharing and letting oth­er people experience hummus. This tasty spread, dip, whatever–I’m not placing it in a category–is too yummy and too versatile not to incorporate into your relationship with food.

Vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free! Hummus is an all-encompassing food and caters to a multiplicity of dietary restrictions. Because of the uncertainty surrounding which coun­try hummus originated from, many battle for the rights to attain the title “the Inventors of Hummus”—my Lebanese step-mother being one of them. We may never know its geo­graphical origination, but to whoever com­bined these ingredients, thank you.

Since its humble origins, hummus has perforated into global food culture, becom­ing increasingly popular in the health food scene. The most enticing thing about hum­mus is the pure simplicity of the ingredients. Hummus is not only delicious, but also load­ed with protein, fiber, vitamin C and many of other virtuous nutrients.

This refreshing snack is heavenly in the summer months when paired with carrots, broccoli, snap peas and many more tasty, crunchy veggies.

You may ask yourself, if I can buy this at the grocery, why would I make it? By mak­ing your own hummus, you eliminate the preservatives found in store-bought brands, it has more fiber, more protein and features a much lower calorie count. It only takes 10 minutes to make and the heaps and heaps of hummus you will be spooning into your ma­son jar will keep you grinning from ear to ear for more than a week—less if you are me or Rafaela!

But please, make sure your container isn’t too deep or your carrots will not reach the bottom. I assure you, the zesty freshness and light airy texture radiates authentic satisfac­tion and flavorful delight. So grab a blend­er or food processor, and we’ll talk making hummus.

First, drain one can of chickpeas and rinse with water. Combine all ingredients into a blender or food processor, and pulse until smooth. You may notice some of the chick­pea mixture sticking to the sides, so don’t be afraid to take it off the processor and move the mixture around a little bit. You want that perfect consistency throughout,

Add a bit of water or olive oil (1 tsp or so) as needed to increase smoothness until the mixture reaches the desired texture. Your hummus should be think and creamy- like waffle batter..

Spoon your fresh hummus into a sealable container and place into the refrigerator. Chill for 20 to 30 minutes for maximum hum­mus-eating contentment. Promptly enjoy with anything from the classic pita bread, carrots, in a salad, it’s up to you!

To further your hummus relationship, get adventurous and add your own flair! If you want spicy, my personal favorite is adding some sriracha to the mix–the flavor is just the right amount of kick to compliment the sweetness of a carrot.

If you really want to make a natural and nourishing hummus recipe you can cook your own garbanzo beans. This will take lon­ger, but the final product is a tasty, rich hum­mus full of love and exceptional flavor.

Although I will admit that I mainly enjoy hummus for the purpose of a snack, it can also be incorporated into other dishes and meals. During the summer, hummus is great in a quinoa bowl with seasonal summer veg­etables: combine quinoa, arugula, grilled eggplant, avocado, roasted pepper and feta cheese. And of course, don’t forget to add the hummus!

Ingredients:

• 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
  • 2 tbsp tahini
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • pinch of sea salt, as desired