Accolades abundant for star-studded Brewer athletes

Sophomore Matthew Knigge rises up for a kill. His stellar season resulted in selection as a FirstTeam All-American. Knigge is the sixth player in the program’s history to receive the award. Photo courtesy of Vassar Athletics

Baseball

The baseball team fell behind in the second in­ning this past Saturday and were unable to rally back, falling 11-3 to non-conference action against Stevens Institute of Technology on Prentiss Field. Then on Sunday, the Brewers were shut out in a 1-0 loss in game one to the Colonials of Western Connecticut State University, but came alive with a 17-5 win over the Colonials in game two to force a split in non-conference action on Prentiss Field. The Brewers will return to Liberty League action with a crucial four-game set against Rochester Institute of Technology this coming Saturday and Sunday afternoons at home on Prentiss Field.

Men’s Fencing

The Northeast Fencing Conference announced Tuesday afternoon that sophomore sabre special­ist Eli Polston was tabbed as the Northeast Fenc­ing Conference’s Male Fencer of the Year while also earning NFC First-Team All-Star accolades. Polston went 25-1 in men’s sabre action in the conference. He won 96.15 percent of his bouts in league play and totaled 128 total touches. In addi­tion, sophomore Jonathan Alperstein was named as a NFC Second Team All-Star. Alperstein fin­ished fourth in the conference in win percentage at épée, as he earned 76.92 percent of his league bouts. He finished 20-6 within the Northeast Fencing Conference.

Women’s Golf

Vassar’s senior women’s golfer Angela Mentel posted a team-best 85 this past Saturday to lead the Brewers in day one of the Jack Lehman Invita­tional. Her score had her tied for 16th place going into Sunday’s action. Vassar’s team score at the end of Saturday’s play was a 351. In Sunday action, the Brewers trimmed 10 shots off of their Saturday score to take sixth place. Mentel continued her hot-streak from Saturday, posting a season-best score on Sunday with a seven-over 79. She com­pleted the weekend tied for either with a 36-hole total of 172. It was also her first top 10 finish of the 2015-2016 season. Junior Emily Prince took home 30th place at the Invitational while sophomores Annie Hsu and Kristin Diep tied for 31st. The Brewers will return to central Massachusetts this weekend April 23-24 to play in the Liberty-League Championships.

Women’s Lacrosse

This past weekend, the women’s lacrosse team fell on the road 17-7 to St. Lawrence University. Junior Brittany Botticelli led the defensive effort with a game ground-high five ground balls to go with a forced turnover and a draw control. Fresh­men goalkeeper Kristen Caolo took the loss de­spite four saves, as the Saints outshot the Vassar 27-17. The Brewers also lost to Clarkson Univer­sity on the road 13-9 Saturday. Sophomore Storm Sideleau, who leads Vassar with 30 goals on the season, scored a hat trick to lead the team. Seniors Isabelle Goldstein and Kim Mulvehill netted two goals a piece, while juniors Phoebe Hankins and Julia Trudell each had one. Caolo took the loss de­spite three saves. They will return to Poughkeep­sie for their final two home games of the regular season against RIT and Rochester University.

Men’s Lacrosse

The men’s lacrosse team fell on the road this past Saturday 14-5 to St. Lawrence University. Ju­nior Liam Moriarty posted three points against St. Lawrence notching 12 goals this season while junior Sam Houston-Read posted one goal and an assist; junior Brandon DeStasio posted one as did senior Noah Parson. Junior goalkeeper Brandon Crecco took the loss despite saving nine shots in 30 minutes. With the loss, the Brewers fell to 7-5 overall and 2-2 in conference play. They will face Williams College in Williamstown, MA on Wednesday, April 20 at 6 p.m.

Women’s Tennis

The No. 38 Vassar women’s tennis team fell 9-0 to No. 14 nationally ranked MIT this past Satur­day in Poughkeepsie. After a huge upset against their rival Skidmore College on April 2, the Brew­ers went down 3-0 in doubles play. Senior captain Lauren Stauffer and sophomore Morgan Fitzger­ald took a hard-fought 9-7 loss at the No. 2 spot. Singles play was also tough for the Brewers on Saturday as they were unable to notch a single win throughout the match. However, two match­es were decided in a super-tiebreaker; freshman Morgane Flournoy fell 4-6, 6-4, 10-4 at No. 5 sin­gles, and junior Connie Yoo fell 6-3, 1-6, 10-6 at No. 6 singles. The Brewers will host William Smith College at home, Saturday April 23, at 2 p.m.

Men’s Tennis

The men’s tennis team took on Rochester Poly­technic Institute this past Sunday on the road falling 5-4. With the loss the Brewers drop to 7-12 while the Engineers improve to 6-7. Junior Juan Felipe Laso was victorious in both singles and doubles play as he scored two wins for the Brew­ers that day. Laso teamed up with junior Alexan­der Luckmann to notch the lone doubles victory at No. 2. Laso also won his singles match at the No. 4 spot 6-4, 7-5. Two freshmen secured the final two points for the Brewers. Nick Lee had a comeback win at No. 6 singles 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, while Jamie Anderson won at the No. 5 spot 6-1, 7-6 (2). Senior captain Evan Udine had a tough loss at No. 3 singles 6-7(3), 6-2, 6-2. Vassar will play The College of New Jersey this Wednesday, April 20 at 3:30 p.m.

Men’s Volleyball

Sophomore Matthew Knigge rises up for a kill. His stellar season resulted in selection as a FirstTeam
All-American. Knigge is the sixth player in the program’s history to receive the award. Photo courtesy of Vassar Athletics

The American Volleyball Coaches Associa­tion (AVCA) named sophomore middle-hitter Matthew Knigge as a Division III First-Team All-American. Knigge’s selection as All-American marks the 10th time that a Vassar College athlete has been awarded the honor, while Knigge be­came the sixth player in program history to earn the accolade. Knigge is also only the third player in Vassar history to earn First-Team laurels. The 6’8” middle hitter earned UVC player of the week twice in addition to being awarded AVCA nation­al player of the week. He is second in the UVC hit­ting percentage with a clip of .502. He ranks first in the UVC in blocks per set with 1.25 per game, while totaling 140 rejections on the year.