Lax shines bright, looks to youth for future inspiration

womens-laxjpg_26063960653_o
Senior Izzy Goldstein had a three goal performance on senior day. She is now only five points away from the all time career points record with 235. Her leadership will be sorely missed on the lax field. Photo courtesy of Vassar Athletics

This past weekend proved a glorious senior day for the Vassar women’s lacrosse team. Their match against the visiting University of Rochester on Saturday marked the final home game for seniors Isabelle Goldstein, Paige Abramowitz and Kim Mulvehill. Coach Judy Finerghty praised her seniors’ performance on the field, explaining, “All three of our Seniors played beautifully and showed great desire on the field. Izzy Goldstein, Paige Abramowitz and Kim Mulvehill have been staple players and leaders for our team so we will miss their everyday hard work and performance.”

With two league games left, the team ac­knowledged the focus needed to successful­ly compete. “The Liberty League is a highly competitive league and every match is hotly contested. Sustaining that degree of intensity and elevated execution for the entirety of ev­ery game is required, and our team recognizes what it means to compete and how much effort it takes to win,” explained Coach Finerghty. The Vassar team was able to beat the Yellow­jackets 12-8. The win puts the Brewers at 6-7 overall and 2-5 in conference play. Sophomore Storm Sideleau led the team in goals with four while freshman Fiona Macleod and senior Izzy Goldstein each had three. Junior Julia Trudell and senior Kim Mulvehill finished the points with one goal each. Goldstein is now five points away from tying the all-time record for career points, as she currently has 235. “The team achieved a heightened performance level during our last three games. They came togeth­er as a team, competed valiantly on the field and elevated their performance these past two weeks specifically,“ said Coach Finerghty. “The strengths of the team this year were that we have a lot of very talented players, and that we have amazing team chemistry. We’re all good friends on and off the field and that makes playing with each other really fun. Our biggest obstacle was definitely the fact that our league is incredibly competitive, with teams that are nationally ranked. Each game was a tough fight, but we learned something new and improved every time.” said senior Paige Abramowitz.

The seniors’ four years on the team have provided them with some of the most impact­ful moments of their college careers. Goldstein shared, ”Beyond wins and losses the bonds I’ve made on and off the field are going to stick with me for the rest of my life…I will never forget beating Union in overtime my freshman year to make playoffs, after beating William Smith the day before-both wins were the first in program history against those teams, and it was only the second time in history that we earned a spot in playoffs. Those wins didn’t come easy, and no one expected us to win. I think I’ve carried that with me-that no game is decided before you walk on the field. That’s the mentality we are going to take into our final Liberty League games against Union, the top ranked team, and William Smith this weekend.” Abramowitz also commented, “As a senior who has had the hon­or of being on this team for four years, I can say that it has made me the person who I am today. Being a college athlete teaches you vital life skills, and being coached by Judy has been a wonderful experience…My lacrosse career at Vassar has been overwhelmingly defined by the amazing people who I have met. Everyone who I have played with has contributed some­thing important to the team and to my life. I will miss playing lacrosse competitively, but I will mostly miss doing it with my best friends. Vassar women’s lacrosse is an amazing com­munity and life experience.”

Goldstein dipped into her well of experi­ence to provide some words of wisdom for her younger teammates: “I’d advise someone to give it your all, push yourself, go the extra mile and work harder than you thought possi­ble. At the end of the day it’s not about results, but knowing you gave something your all is an amazingly satisfying feeling.”

“We have a very young team, and this proves to be a strength and a weakness. New players bring new elements to the game and team dy­namics, but it also means that there is a period of adjusting to new players and teaching the fundamentals that are characteristic of our style of play,” said Spadinger. Although Vassar is about to lose three seniors, the team is lucky that it also has many young members. The team boasts nine freshman who will have three more years to improve. “This team is young, but we have a lot of talent and chemistry. It’s fun to see different combinations of players begin to work really well together. We play an unselfish, passing offense, and when we get the ball moving,” explained Goldstein. “What is so cool is how much of an impact this class of nine freshmen is already having on the team. I’m so excited to watch them play for the next three years,” she continued.

Looking ahead, Coach Finerghty said, “We are continuing to work and grow as a team and looking for a strong finish to our season…We feel confident that the team will continue this upward trajectory and that is our goal for our next two games. The team has a great degree of confidence right now and we want to con­tinue playing hard and improving on the field every day…We do have a strong core of return­ing players for next year including our five ju­niors (Sydney Spadinger, Darby Stahl, Phoebe Hankins and Co-Captains Julia Trudell and Brittany Botticelli), who have all impacted our program in significant ways. We expect them to provide our team with continued leadership and momentum heading into our final week of play.”