Without a doubt, seniors show out in final matches

tennisroundupjpg_26641531596_o
Senior captain Lauren Stauffer has been a strong competitor throughout her four years at Vassar. She is just one of the many dedicated seniors in the midst of their final days at the College. Photo courtesy of Vassar Athletics

Women’s Tennis

On Saturday, April 24, the Vassar women’s tennis squad played its final home game of the season against Liberty League opponent William Smith College. Despite going down 1-2 after dou­bles, the Brewers battled through to capture the win 5-4. No. 6 junior Connie Yoo won handily 6-2, 6-1 while junior Shayna Becker cruised past her opponent 6-2, 6-0 at four. Sophomore Court­ney Geiss clinched the match for Vassar with a 6-0, 6-1 victory at two. With the win, the women are now 12-7 overall and 5-1 in conference play. The squad will travel to Troy, NY on Saturday to take on Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute for its final match of the regular season.

Men’s Tennis

The Brewers traveled to Canton, NY on Satur­day, April 24 where they captured a much-need­ed 7-2 victory over Liberty League challenger St. Lawrence University. The doubles sweep put the men in control and gave them momentum going into singles. Freshman five Jamie Ander­son clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-3 win. Now 8-13 overall and 4-2 in league play, the Brewers will host their final match on Saturday, April 30 against Liberty League member Hobart College.

Men’s Lacrosse

Continuing Liberty League play, the Vassar men’s lacrosse team hosted the Tigers of Roch­ester Institute of Technology on Saturday April 24. Senior Noah Parson scored two goals, pass­ing his own record for most goals in a season at 121. He also holds the record for most assists at 51 and total points, 172. Despite Parson’s solid play, the Brewers took a hard 21-8 loss against the Ti­gers, the top team in the conference. The men now hold a 7-7 overall record and stand 2-3 in the league. Vassar will next play Bard College on Wednesday, April 27 for its final home game.

Baseball

Over the weekend, the Vassar men’s baseball team hosted fellow Liberty League member Rochester Institute of Technology in two dou­ble headers. On Saturday, April 23, the men won 9-1 in the first and 9-8 in the second to sweep the Tigers. Despite trailing the entire game, the Brewers scored nine unanswered runs over the last four innings to take the victory. Sophomore Bobby Kinne and junior Mike Koscielniak each contributed two runs for the win. In the second day of competition, the squad swept again, this time with scores of 2-0 and 6-5. With the win, the Brewers improve to 15-15 and 10-6 in League play. Next the men will take on Mount Saint Mary College on Wednesday, April 27 and another Lib­erty League contender Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute over the weekend.

Women’s Rugby

The women’s rugby team rode their depth and knowledge of the game all the way to the Tri-State Conference 7s Championship Final this weekend where they defeated Stony Brook Uni­versity 17-5. The most dramatic match of the day, however, was the quarterfinal against Rutgers Universtiy. Down 15-12 with two minutes left, ju­nior Mary-Margaret McElduff regained posses­sion of a lost ball. As the Rutgers defense rushed towards her, senior captain Darienne Jones told McElduff to kick the ball ahead, a tactic rarely used by Vassar. Senior captain Taylor Nunley re­covered the ball and shipped it to Rachel Jones, who sprinted through the posts to score the game winning try with no time left.

Men’s Rugby

The men’s team had a drama-filled day as well. In the semi-final, they went down 17-0 to William Paterson at the half. It was the heroic play of senior captain Eli Vargas that put them back in the match. Vassar began the half strong as sophomore Gary Garcia zipped in for an early try to cut the lead. Vargas, the team’s definitive MVP on the day, scored the second try around the corner. With a minute left, Vassar kicked off into the sun. As William Paterson fumbled the ball, the Vassar defense pressed up. WPU even­tually kicked the ball away and it landed right in Vargas’ lap. Determined as ever, he ran through five defenders on his way to the game-winning score. Unfortunately, another early hole to cross-river rival Marist in the final could not be overcome and Vassar fell 24-14.

Women’s Track

At the 2016 Liberty League Championships, the Vassar women’s track team finished fourth as a team with 79 points and saw great individual accomplishments. Senior Mollie Schear finished third overall in the 100-meter dash, earning a per­sonal best of 13.09. She posted another personal best in the 200-meter dash with a 26.76 fourth place finish. For the trifecta, Schear ran a sea­son-best leg of the 4X100 meter relay to help the team finish third with a 50.37. The Penn Relays starting Thursday, April 28 at the University of Pennsylvania is up next for the women’s squad.

Men’s Track

Similar to the women, the Vassar men’s track squad finished fourth in the 2016 Liberty League Championships with 68 points. The Brewers gained success in many races, including the 4X100 meter relay. Foursome Morrie Lam, Peter Winkeller, Kyle Estrada and Dylan Manning cap­tured six points for Vassar and set a new school record with a time of 42.92. Sophomore Philip Brown also excelled in the 1000-meter to qual­ify for the ECAC Championships with a time of 32:13.23. The men will join the women’s squad at the Penn Relays at the University of Pennsylva­nia starting Thursday, April 28.

Women’s Golf

Over the weekend, the Vassar women’s golf team competed at The Orchards Golf Club in South Hadley, MA for the 2016 Liberty League Championships. The team posted a team score of 348 in the first day of play and 356 in the sec­ond. All five members of the squad finished in the top 20 on the first day, most notably soph­omore Annie Hsu who posted an 85 for ninth place.