Blue Apron saves college students from learning to cook

By Penina Remler
By Penina Remler
By Penina Remler

I’ve always been a three-day weekend kind of student. From the minute I stepped onto campus as a freshman, I vowed to never take a class on Friday because I was convinced that’s how college should work.

And for my first three semesters at school, that’s how college did work—until this past spring.

While preregistration seemed to fail me on my “no class Friday” streak, I’m fortunate to still savor the three-day weekend. It may not start on Fridays, but I am happy to announce that “no class Monday” has been nothing but a pleasant surprise.

With no classes to stress over on Monday, I’ve built a great appreciation for Sundays at Vassar. While many of my friends spend their Sunday deep in the dungeons of the library, you can find me frolicking around campus looking for a select few of students who don’t have a heavy workload to worry about and/or tend to.

My rather unique quest to “make Sundays great again” has actually been quite the suc­cess. With a little help from my friends, their spacious suite in Cushing and a subscription to Blue Apron, we have managed to replace the stress that is often attached to Sundays with something both sweet and savory.

Blue Apron is a company catered to wide de­mographic of clients who share a similar inten­tion: to cook like an expert, without the exten­sive training. How do they do it? Rather than just reading a recipe off a website, Blue Apron saves the trip to the supermarket and instead, sends you exactly what you need to master a manageable, but magnificent meal. Because why would you buy an entire jar of orange mar­malade for one dish when all you need is three tablespoons?

Just the other Sunday, myself and four other friends made plans to put our cooking skills to the test. Because we were a rather large group, we chose to challenge ourselves to not one, but two recipes: a zucchini-Parmesan quiche and orange-glazed chicken wings. Each dish arrived with enough ingredients to serve four starving people (which was a perfect amount for the five of us to split). Plus, even without a subscription, one can access such recipes and follow the instructions on Blue Apron’s site: blueapron.com

We didn’t know what we were getting into, but we figured that our ability to read direc­tions and access to the Cushing kitchen would be a good place to start.

We began with the quiche, which featured fresh zucchini, crème fraise egg filling and a hint of pink lemon. A quiche, at college—how fancy! The only ingredient that came prepared was the pie crust which left us chopping, slic­ing and peeling away at the contributing ingre­dients: lettuce, garlic, spinach, green leaf, zuc­chini and some shallot.

This entailed prepping the ingredients, cooking/draining the veggies and assembling every ingredient together, which at the time felt like a lot of work for us already-starved students, but we were confident that the end result would hopefully/eventually be worth all the effort.

As we baked the quiche for a good 18-20 min­utes, we moved on to the orange-glazed chick­en wings. This recipe not only provided our source of protein but also some side veggies (bok choy and a sweet potato salad—not your average deece dish).

It’s hard to say whether one recipe was more difficult than the other since this dish also in­volved some preparation: roasting the chicken wings, prepping the ingredients, cooking both the sweet potatoes and bok choy and finally, creating a glaze for the wings before assem­bling our plates.

Luckily, the oven was pre-heated as a result of the quiche, so it is safe to say that we actually had a smooth experience. Together each recipe required at least 35-40 minutes in cooking time, but with a group of five we managed to master multitasking and meshed the duration of the project together. Plus we were being paid (in food) so inevitably, our anticipation was at an all-time high.

Sunday night ended with a two-course meal, a civilized table setting and great company/ laughter to prepare us for the week to come. It was delicious, delightful and fortunately, only one example of our many attempts to make Sunday the “fun day” again.

Ingredients:

Orange-Glazed Chicken Wings
•2 pounds chicken wings
•1 scallion
•1 pound sweet potatoes
•1/2 pound baby bok choy
•3 tablespoons orange marmalade
•2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
•2 tablespoons white miso paste
•1 1-inch piece ginger
•1/4 cup sour cream
•1/4 cup soy glaze

Zucchini & Parmesan Quiche
•2 farm eggs
•2 pie crusts
•4 cloves garlic
•4 ounces spinach
•1 head green leaf lettuce
•1 pink lemon
•1 zucchini
•3 tablespoons shaved Parmesan
•2 tablespoons crème fraise
•1 shallot