Teams stuggle as many seasons come to a bitter end

Women’s Tennis:

For its final game of the regular season, the Vassar women’s tennis team traveled to Troy, NY on Saturday April 30 to take on Liberty League foe Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. No. 1 pair seniors Hanna McGuire and Shayna Becker won 8-5, while senior Lauren Stauffer and sophomore Kate Christensen finished 8-3 at two. The Brewers used the early momentum to carry them through singles. Junior Connie Yoo cruised past her opponent 6-1, 6-0 at six while No. 1 Christensen clinched the match with a 6-0, 6-0 double bagel. Vassar, 13-7 overall and 6-1 in conference play, will head to Ithaca, NY on May 7 for the Liberty League Cham­pionships. The women, seeded second in the tournament, will play Skidmore College in the semi-final match.

Men’s Tennis:

The Vassar men’s tennis team played a cru­cial match on Saturday, April 30 against Hobart College. The fourth spot in the Liberty League Championships was up for grabs and unfortu­nately, the men failed to nab it. The Statesmen defeated the Brewers 5-4 in the nail biter to end Vassar’s season. Hobart went ahead 2-1 after doubles. No. 2 pair junior Nick Litsky and se­nior Evan Udine won the sole doubles match 8-6. Litsky and senior Daniel Cooper each took their singles, at one and two respectively, to make the match even. Freshman Jamie Ander­son also had an impressive 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 victory, but it wasn’t enough for the Brewers. The men finished their season 8-14 overall and 4-3 in Lib­erty League play.

Women’s Lacrosse:

Over the weekend the Vassar women’s la­crosse team faced two Liberty League competi­tors on the road, first Union on Friday, April 29 and then William Smith College the following day. The Brewers had a difficult run against the Dutchwomen, falling 9-17. Senior Isabelle Goldstein scored five goals, pushing her to second-most points in Vassar College women’s lacrosse history. Throughout her career, Gold­stein has accumulated 231 points, which is nine points shy of the all-time record of 240. On Sat­urday, the Herons proved just as tough as the Dutchwomen, besting the Brewers 5-15. In the game Goldstein posted three points while ju­nior Julia Trudell put two shots in the back of the net. Vassar ends its season with an overall record of 6-9 and a conference record of 2-7.

Men’s Lacrosse:

Despite hard work, the Vassar men’s lacrosse team’s season came to an end on Saturday, April 30. On Wednesday, the Brewers played their fi­nal home game of the season against Liberty League challenger Bard College. Senior Noah Parson led the squad with three goals in the 12-4 victory. Juniors Sam Houston-Read and Chris Billups each contributed three goals as well. On Saturday, the men faced off against Union and fell short 13-17 in the tight game. Houston-Read had a team best of three goals and two assists while freshman standout James Thomas earned four goals. Vassar finished the season 8-8 over­all and 3-4 in league competition.

Rowing:

On April 30, the Vassar men’s and women’s rowing teams traveled to Saratoga Springs, NY for the New York State Collegiate Champion­ships at Fish Creek. The women’s collegiate varsity 8+ finished 11th overall with a time of 7:36.30 and later posted a 7:37.71 in the petite final. The women’s team additionally sent out a 2V 8+, novice 8+, and varsity 4+. On the men’s side, the Brewers competed in the var­sity 4+, the novice 4+ and the open 4+ events. The men’s varsity 4+ and open 4+ both finished fifth in their heats while the novice 4+ ended in fourth. Vassar will next compete in the Dad’s Vail’s event May 13-14 in Philadelphia, PA.

Women’s Track:

On May 1, the Vassar women’s track team traveled to New Haven, CT for the Yale Spring­time Invitational. Junior Molly Crowell was the top Division III runner in the 200m race. She finished fourth overall with a time of 27.26, besting three runners from Columbia Univer­sity. In the 400m junior Alex Gittens ended in sixth place after posted a 1:01.19. Freshman Holly Payne also competed excellently, estab­lishing a personal record of 5:12.95 in the 1500m, which made her the top Division III runner in the event. The Brewers will next compete in the Matthew Vassar Twilight Meet on Friday evening for senior day.

Men’s Track:

A small group of the Vassar men’s track team traveled to Yale for the Springtime Invitational on Sunday May 1. Junior Elijah Winston stood out in the 400 m run. He came in sixth, besting all other Division III competitors and some Di­vision I athletes with a time of 52.15. Senior Tay­lor Vann also performed excellently, coming in second in the men’s 110 hurdles with a 15.88 time. Fellow senior Kyle Dannenberg accom­plished a personal best with a time of 4:38.44 in the 1500 m run.The Brewers look forward to the Matthew Vassar Twilight Meet on Friday eve­ning where eleven seniors will be recognized.

Baseball:

roundup_26734597371_o
Senior Brooks English attempts a swing in a home game for the Brewers. The baseball team went 1-3 against Liberty League foe Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute over the weekend. Photo courtesy of Vassar Athletics

The Vassar men’s baseball team faced off against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in two double-header games on April 30 and May 1. On Saturday, the Brewers fell in the first 4-0 but redeemed themselves in the second with a 5-1 win. On Sunday, senior Brooks English so­lidified the victory with a ground ball to score junior Denis Shanagher and senior Dakota Sa­gnelli. The men struggled in competition on Sunday, losing both games 10-1 then 6-0 in the second double-header. the Brewers still suf­fered a 6-0 loss in the second. Now 17-18 overall and 11-9 in league play, Vassar next plays Man­hattanville College on Wednesday, May 4. On Saturday and Sunday, the men play Union Col­lege in two Liberty League double-headers.