Senior Retrospective: Marty Ascher

The last four years have both allowed me to do things I already knew I loved and challenged me in ways that I could have never imagined. If you had told me in 2012 that by the time I graduated college that I would have worked for the White House, recorded an EP with original songs by a rock band, toured the Northeast with a singing group, and gotten to know my college President on a personal basis, I would have never believed you, yet all of this has happened and so much more. While Vassar has obviously been a frustrating place to be for so many reasons at times, taken as a whole I am truly grateful for the knowledge and skills that I have gained during my time here.

To the members of the College Dems: keep fighting for what you believe in and thinking about real ways in which it can get done. Don’t get discouraged by extreme voices and don’t give up. It has been great working, venting, and celebrating with you all over the last few years and I look forward to working with you all sometime soon in Washington!

To the Axies past and present: Although I can honestly say that I do not like a capella, I love all of you. This group has been invaluable to my time at Vassar, and I cannot imagine the last four years without it. From our concerts to bowling to simply blowing off steam, we have had some hilarious times together and I hope that will continue after we are all graduates. You are some of my favorite people in the world, and I hope that we can all meet up in the future.

To the rest of my friends: You are all great. We have had many amazing times and I hope we can continue chilling long into the future. Thank you for coming to see Stitched in Blue, retreating, memorable conversations and so much more. May the year of roasts extend to 2017 and beyond.

I’d like to thank my parents, my brother Jake, my Bubbe, my Tante, my Grandpa Alex and Grandma Jane for their unwavering support over the last four years. I would not have been able to do any of this without the advice, guitar lessons, stimulating conversations, and of course financial support you have given me over the past several years.

I’d like to thank all of my professors but especially Professors Richard Born, Sidney Plotkin, Justin Patch, Miriam Cohen, and Tim Koechlin for encouraging me to follow my passions and indulging in my curiosity over so many courses over the last four years. Whether it was through lecture or office hours I have learned so much from you all and hope we can remain in touch in the future.

Finally, I’d like to thank Cappy and the rest of the President’s Office. You’ve had to put up with a lot over my time here, and it was a true privilege to be in the trenches with you this year. Thank you for your trust, support, and respect; and best of luck with your next steps!

May the next four years be even better than the last, and I hope to keep in touch with as many people as possible.