VC teams continue domination as they head to playoffs

Junior Alex Gonzales looks towards teammates in game against University of Rochester. Gonzales was crucial for Brewers’ recent success with a game-winning goal against RIT. Photo courtesy of Carlisle Stockton

Women’s Volleyball

Brewer women’s volleyball had a busy Octo­ber break, playing Sage College, Union College, St. Lawrence University, Clarkson University and Skidmore College in the span of a week.

First VC swept non-conference opponent Sage in straights at home in Kenyon Hall, top­ping the Gators 25-12, 25-20 and 25-15. Sophomore Devan Gallagher finished with 14 kills and hit .591, junior Alex Sams tallied a career-best 11 kills and junior Bria Corham came off the bench to record a career-high 11 digs and four addition­al kills.

Next up, the Brewers lost a marathon contest against Union, 22-25, 25-17, 25-21, 19-25 and 15-12, in which Gallagher recorded 13 kills and two blocks, while freshman Jane Mcleod got 15 kills. Vassar rebounded to take out St. Lawrence in four though, 25-18, 16-25, 25-18 and 25-14. In their next match, the Brewers outlasted Clarkson in five, 14-25, 25-18, 21-25, 25-21 and 18-16, to not just record a victory over the Golden Knights, but also to clinch the regular season Liberty League title, despite their follow up loss to Skidmore, again in a tight five, 16-25, 23-25, 25-13, 25-19 and 15-13. With the conference title, the squad will host the Liberty League tournament on Nov. 4 in Kenyon Hall. The women will take on the RIT Tigers in the semi-finals in hopes to advance to the league championship.

But first, Vassar will next take on the New Paltz Hawks on Wednesday, Oct. 26, away.

Junior Alex Gonzales looks towards teammates in game against University of Rochester. Gonzales was crucial for Brewers’ recent success with a game-winning goal against RIT. Photo courtesy of Carlisle Stockton

Men’s Soccer

Vassar saw the field three times during the break, at home against the Rochester Institute of Technology, Hobart College and University of Rochester, all at home on Gordon Field.

First facing RIT on Friday, Oct. 14, the Brew­ers struck early and held on for a 1-0 win over the visiting Tigers. The eventual winning goal would come courtesy of junior Alex Gonzales in the eighth minute, chipping the RIT’s keep af­ter being found by freshman Mattie Mrlik. The defensemen and junior Brewer goalkeeper Matt Marcelino were able to keep RIT out for the full 90 minutes.

Next up, the Brewers fell in heartbreaking fashion to the Statesmen of Hobart, 3-2 in over­time. Gonzales again scored, this time with just two minutes gone, to put VC up 1-0. Hobart would equalize late in the first half and would make the score 2-1 with five minutes played in the second period of play. With a rebounded shot, junior Jose Novas found himself in position and was able to notch the second-half equalizer for the Brewers in the 58th minute of the match-up. The squads then headed to overtime. With 14 seconds left in the first period of OT, Vassar brought down a Hobart player in the box and the Statesmen were able to convert the ensuing penalty kick to come away with a 3-2 win.

On Senior Day, the Brewers recorded a com­fortable 3-0 win over No. 12 Rochester. Before the game, Vassar recognized seniors Noah Bloch, Matt Fields, Stephen Jennings, John Lopes and Adam Warner. The first goal of the game came from sophomore Tyler Gilmore, who was assisted by junior Hayden van Brewer. Freshmen Mattie Mrlik then grabbed a pair of goals. Mrlik’s first goal came with an assist from junior Reid Smith and while Mrlik scored his second after stealing the ball from a defender.

Next out Vassar, will host Union in its last home game of the season at Gordon Field on Wednesday.

Women’s Soccer

The women improved to a 5-0 record in con­ference play, marking the best Liberty League start in program history, with a 1-0 win at Roch­ester Institute of Technology on Friday. Sopho­more Rebecca Andrews was again responsible for a goal, finding the back of the net in the 49th to give VC the edge over the Tigers.

The Brewers’ win streak would be cut short quickly thereafter though, as they fell 4-0 to No. 1 William Smith College away at Cozzens Field on Saturday. Tapolsky registered 11 stops against a William Smith side that attempted a total of 30 shots.

Vassar got back on track and cruised to a 4-0 win over visiting Ramapo College next out.

Senior Jordyn Matthews recorded the brace, while sophomores Audrey Pillsbury and Rebec­ca Andrews added a goal each. Tapolsky and fel­low senior Phoebe Reuben share credit for the shutout against the visitors.

The Brewers play their last home game on Tuesday against Bard College at 3:30 p.m.

Field Hockey

Brewer field hockey knocked off No. 11 Skidmore College on Senior Day at home on Weinberg Field. The Brewers honored Sophie Arnold, Hayley Beach, Emma Bracken, Flora Crichton-Stuart and Lauren Shumate before kicking things off.

Vassar scored early on as sophomore Alyssa More found the back of the cage, with an assist provided by fellow sophomore Megan Caveny. Both More and Caveny have seven goals on the season. Skidmore was able to equalize in the 22nd and the teams went into the second half deadlocked.

In the 47th minute junior Storm Sideleau beat two defenders to a loose ball in the circle, tipped it to sophomore Emily Poehlein, who was able to stretch and redirect the ball past Skid’s goalie to give VC the lead. The Brewers were able to ride their defense to the win, with sophomore Paige Amico making several key stops to preserve the result.

The Brewers came up just short in their next outing, as they fell 1-0 to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on the Engineers’ Senior Day at Hark­ness Field. Despite the loss, there is still a math­ematical scenario in which Vassar could host a Liberty League tournament game.

The Brewers will now travel to the University of Scranton on Wednesday evening for non-con­ference play.

Men’s Rugby

The Vassar men rounded out their regu­lar season in disappointing fashion, falling to cross-river rival SUNY New Paltz.

It was a contest full of fouls and subsequent disciplinary measures, as the Brewers played the last 10 minutes down four players. Three men were yellow carded and one received a red card. New Paltz got by the Brewers 44 to 12. Juniors Trevor Kennish and Joe Simon each recorded braces on the day and senior Seamus Taylor broke the try line once as well. Kennish added two cons and one penalty in the loss as well.

Women’s Rugby

The women’s rugby team suffered their first setback of the season against visiting West Ches­ter University on Oct. 14. Both teams scored six tries but the visitors were able to squeeze past the Brewers by four, 38 to 34. Senior Lauren Workman scored a try, while her classmates Ma­riah Ghant and Nathalie Freeman recorded a hat trick and a brace respectively. Senior Mary-Mar­garet McElduff added two conversions for the team.

Vassar soon got back on track, thrashing Fairfield University 85 to 0 and locking up the number one seed in the upcoming tri-state conference playoffs. Sophomore Rachel Elson broke the tryline a jaw-dropping six times, while senior Mariah Ghant produced a hat trick. Se­nior Mary-Margaret McElduff, juniors Alicia Menard-Livingston, Kayla Lightner and Aman­da Saich and sophomores Jennie To and Oshana Reich each broke the plane once, while McElduff also contributed 10 points from conversions.

Women’s Golf

The VC women’s golf team ended its 2016-17 fall season on Sunday afternoon, placing sixth at the New York University Invitational, hosted at Forest Hill Field Club.

Freshman Andrea Han rounded out her first season tied for 15th place, up seven positions from the first day of competition. Fellow fresh­man Qiwen Tan carded a 169, good for a share of 20th place. Senior Emily Prince finished in a tie for 26th place. Junior Annie Hsu took 42nd overall while sophomore Evon Shay notched a 48th place finish.

The Brewers are finished for the fall and will next host the Vassar College Invitational at Casperkill Golf Course April 8 and 9.

Men’s Cross Country

The Brewers competed at the Rowan Univer­sity Border Clash, a meet in which 10 national­ly-ranked teams were represented. The Brewers finished 13th out of 43 schools.

Junior Michael Scarlett was yet again the fast­est for VC, finishing with a 24:36.9 putting him in 50th overall. Scarlett has paced the Brewers in 13 straight outings, the longest such streak for a Brewers since 2003-04. Freshman Adin Becker was the top freshman runner from the Liberty League on Saturday, coming in second across the line for VC with a 24:40.0, earning the 55th overall spot. Junior Philip Brown was six spots behind him, running a 24:43.6, good for a 61st place finish.

The Brewers next travel to Geneva for the Liberty League Championships on Oct. 29.

Women’s Cross Country

Vassar finished second out of seven teams at the 2016 Seven Sisters Cross Country Champi­onships, hosted by Wellesley College. The hosts would take the win, clearing the Brewers by just 10 points.

Vassar runners accounted for seven of the top 20 finishers, as Wellesley only had five runners inside the top 20. Senior Lucy Balcezak took fifth overall with personal-best time of 22:51.4. Freshman Meghan Cook crossed the line next for VC, chalking up a 23:05.8, followed close behind by sophomore Christiana Prater-Lee. Senior Laura MacDonald finished 13th for the Brewers, one spot above teammate and sopho­more Cameron Daddis. All five runners walked away with All-Seven Sisters recognition for their performances.

The women will also travel to the Liberty League Championships, hosted by Hobart and William Smith Colleges on Oct. 29.