Big week for Brewers as four teams play in League playoffs

Sophomore Alyssa More carries ball down the field in close 2-1 win against Skidmore College. The Brewers will face the Thoroughbreds again on Nov. 2 for Liberty League play-offs. Photo courtesy of Carlisle Stockton

Women’s Volleyball
Women’s volleyball team had an emotional win on senior day over Ramapo College in front of an energetic home crowd in Kenyon Hall Saturday, 25-16 25-22 19-25 and 25-17, marking their 20th win on the year. Before the match, Vassar honored its three seniors: Gabby Miller, Sarah Roberts and Sierra Tobin.

During the match, freshman Jane McLeod posted 22 kills for the Brewers, Devan Gallagher posted 14 and one block, and Miller had four kills, seven aces and two blocks. Annie MacMillan accounted for 41 assists on the day, which gives her 1070 for the year, the fourth-most in a season for VC. She is now only 17 off third place all time

Next up, No. 1 seed VC will host No. 4 seed Rochester Institute of Technology Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Liberty League Championship play, after Clarkson University and Union College start the tournament at 5 p.m. in Kenyon Hall.

Men’s Soccer
The Brewers clinched a berth in the Liberty League Championships and earned the No. 2 seed with a 2-0 win over Bard College in their last regular season game on Saturday.

Vassar opened the game with aggression, taking three shots on goal within the first 10 minutes. On their fourth attempt, they were finally able to connect. Junior Alex Gonzales hit a cross into the box and sophomore Toby Stansell headed in the opening goal in the 16th minute.

The men then added some cushion in the 87th minute. Following a free kick, sophomore Tyler Gilmore flicked a header to freshman Mattie Mrlik, who recorded his eighth goal of the season and put the team ahead 2-0. Senior goalkeeper Adam Warner kept Bard scoreless, registering six stops.

Vassar hosts RPI for the first round of the Liberty League Championships on Wednesday, Nov. 2. Kickoff from Gordon Field is timed for 2:30 p.m.

Women’s Soccer
Vassar women’s soccer dropped their regular season finale against Union College on Saturday, 3-2.

In the 14th minute, sophomore Audrey Pillsbury put the Brewers ahead, scoring for the seventh time this season. Union equalized 12 minutes later and the game remained level going into halftime.

Sophomore Rebecca Andrews opened scoring for Vassar in the second half, converting from the penalty spot to give the Brewers the edge, 2-1. However, Union answered just two minutes later and with the score tied at 2-2 in the 85th minute, the Dutchwomen converted a penalty of their own and held the 3-2 edge until full time.

Regardless of this loss, the women clenched the second seed in Liberty Leagues and hosted No. 3 RPI on Wednesday at 2:30 p.m.

Although both squads fought hard, the teams’ strong defenses kept the game in a stalemate to enter halftime with a score of 0-0.

Rensselaer’s Jacqui Richard was the only one to get on the board in the 64th minute as she was assisted by teammate Emily Kaplan. The Brewers were unable to pass the Engineers to reach the back of the goal.

Senior Stephanie Tapolsky had a strong performance with one save in the first half and three more saves in the second half.

This loss ended the team’s season with an overall record of 9-8-1 and a conference record of 6-2-0.

Men’s Rugby
Vassar played Monroe College in the Tri-State Conference tournament over the weekend. Despite taking the lead 6-5 courtesy of two made penalty kicks from Trevor Kennish, Vassar went into halftime down 6-10.

In the second 40 minutes, VC scored to get back on top 13-10 as sophomore Rob Eder fed classmate wing Stephen Kpundeh who was tackled high and earned the penalty try. Monroe responded and scored a physical try of their own, taking the lead 15-13.

Junior flanker Anthony Brown, after a Monroe drop, managed to get the try for Vassar to again take the lead 20-15. With the game tied 20- 20 and time dwindling, Monroe conceded a penalty, which Kennish slotted to put the Brewers up by three, which would prove to be enough for the win.

Vassar moves on and will next play SUNYNew Paltz next Sunday at Siena College field.

Women’s Rugby
In a lopsided affair, the Brewers toppled Siena College in the Tri-State Conference tournament to the tune of 92-0. It was 47-0 at the half, and the Brewers never looked back as they kept possession and scoring opportunities out of the hands of Siena, scoring a further seven times in the second 40 minutes of play.

Senior flyhalf Mary-Margaret McElduff had a prolific scoring day, as she converted 11 of 14 tries, and also scoring a try to make her responsible for 27 of VC’s 92 points.

Seniors Laila Blumenthal-Rothchild and Nathalie Freeman scored twice, so did junior Abigail Alexander, junior Amanda Saich and sophomore Rachel Elson. Another trio of juniors, Andrea Ramsay, Sarah Mawhinney and Alicia Menard-Livingston, added a try each as well.

Men’s Cross Country
Men’s cross country competed on Saturday at the 2016 Liberty League Championships, hosted by Hobart and William Smith Colleges, taking third place with 69 points, just seven off of St. Lawrence University.

Junior Michael Scarlett was strong for the Brewers as usual, earning All-Liberty League First Team after finishing in seventh place with a time of 25:51.3. Freshman Adin Becker ran a 26:17.3, good for 13th place overall and an All-Liberty League Second Team mention.

Sophomore Luke Arsenault finished just shy of the All-Liberty League cutoff, taking 15th with a 26:21.2. Jesse Schatz finished close behind Arsenault in 16th with a time of 26:22.3.

Senior Gabe Fishman had a strong race as well, placing 19th with a 26:25.3 and scoring points.

Vassar will return to action next Saturday at the ECAC Championships Nov. 5.

Women’s Cross Country
The Brewers traveled to Geneva, NY for the 2016 Liberty League Championships on Saturday, competing at Seneca Lake State Park, where they finished fourth, totaling 108 points.

Senior Lucy Balcezak had an outstanding race for VC finished ninth overall with a time of 23:47.7, earning an All-Liberty League selection. Fellow senior Laura MacDonald had a strong race as well, next across the line for VC in 24th place with a 24:23.7. Sophomore Christiana Prater-Lee finished just behind MacDonald in 25th with a time of 24:24.1.

Freshman Meghan Cook also scored points for Vassar as she took 26th place with a time of 24:26.3. Sophomore Cameron Daddis was the fifth finisher for the Brewers, coming in 28th place, running a 24:30.0.

The team will be back competing at the ECAC Regional Championships Saturday, Nov. 5.

Field Hockey
The Brewers set a new program record for wins in a season with 14 after overcoming a twogoal deficit Saturday against New Paltz.

New Paltz opened the scoring in the 22nd minute, as Justine O’Reilly tipped in a shot from teammate Hayley Kim that came from outside the circle, which they would double eight minutes later despite a slew of shots from VC. With no time on the clock in the first half the Brewers earned two corners, with freshman Cristina Lopez putting one in, assisted by sophomore Megan Caveny.

In the second half, senior Hayley Beach found the equalizer, as her shot deflected off a New Paltz defender and into the back of the net. Four minutes later, Lopez scored again solo to cap the team’s comeback effort and make the score 3-2.

Vassar heads into the 2016 Liberty League Tournament as the No. 2 seed and will host No. 3 Skidmore College Wednesday evening at 6 p.m. on Weinberg Field.

Senior captain Anthony Walker earned an impressive win against Bard’s top swimmer Dio Tzortzis in meet on Oct. 26. Walker took first place as he finished the 100 butterfly in 53.9. Courtesy of Carlisle Stockton
Senior captain Anthony Walker earned an impressive win against Bard’s top swimmer Dio Tzortzis in meet on Oct. 26. Walker took first place as he finished the 100 butterfly in 53.9. Photo courtesy of Carlisle Stockton

Men’s Swim and Dive
VCMSD topped 130-85 Bard College away to start their 2016-17 season on Wednesday evening.

Junior Jonah Strand took the 100 breaststroke event with a time of 59.72 as freshman Jordan Kalina won the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:56.46. Senior captain Anthony Walker took home another first with his time of 53.19 in the 100 butterfly. Sophomore Lukas Harries then got the win in the 100 free with a time of 51.51 and senior Chris Cerutti won the 100 backstroke for the Brewers.

Sophomore Michael Deiner won the 3-meter dive event, scoring a 175.90, as well as the 1-meter event with a 166.45.

The Brewer will next face off the Thoroughbreds of Skidmore College at 1 p.m. on Nov. 5 in Kresge Pool.

Women’s Swim and Dive
Women’s swim and dive also opened its 2016- 17 season on Wednesday by defeating Bard College. The Brewers came out of the dual meet winners by the score of 137-67.

Sophomore Kael Ragnini placed first in the 1000 free, registering a time of 11:21.04, while her classmate Sammy Stone got the win in the 200 free event with a 1:59.13. Sophomore Meg Harrington started her year with a win in the 100 yard free with a 59.10.

Vassar will be back in action next weekend at 1 p.m. hosting Skidmore College at Kresge Pool.