Despite big turkey dinners, Brewers hungry for success

On Nov. 19, junior Kelly Rissman dominated Connecticut College and Haverford opponents in home matches. Brewers hope to continue success in Dec. 4 matches against Bard and Tufts. Courtesy of Carlisle Stockton

Women’s Squash

Coming in as underdogs, the women’s squash team surprised ranked No. 29 Connecticut College and Haverford College. These wins boosted the Brewers to a record of 5-1.

For the first match of the day, the women defeated the nationally ranked Connecticut Camels 7-2. To lead the Brewers, junior Kelly Rissman, sophomore Cherylann Mucciolo and senior Isabella Bertram all swept their sets to claim early victories.

Senior Diana Howland grabbed another win for VC as she finished her sets with scores of 11- 7, 11-7 and 11-5. With Howland’s win, the Brewers only needed one more to claim dominance over Connecticut. Not settling with just one more win, junior captain Hannah Nice and freshmen Sydney Nemphos and Alessandra Pilkington all nabbed wins on the day.

With continued intensity and enthusiasm, Vassar dominated Haverford 8-1 later in the evening. To top the Fords, multiple Brewers earned second sets of victories on the day.

At the top of the roster, No. 1 Nice tallied three more sets with scores of 11-3, 11-1 and 11-3, while No. 3 Bertram gained her second win as she ended 11-1, 9-11 and 11-5. Nemphos also continued her success as she dominated three more sets, while senior Carly Scher clinched the win with sets of 11-3, 11-5 and 11-3 at the No. 5 spot.

Two more Brewers posting double wins on the day were Mucciolo and Pilkington. Howland earned another victory at No. 8 as Rissman showed prowess in her sets at No. 9. With these wins in the bag, the women’s team captured its 40th win on the season.

While the team has a collective record of 40-14 this season, a few individuals have posted 5-1 records, which are program-bests since 2004.

Next up, the women will play Tufts University at home on Sunday Dec. 4 at 12:30 p.m.

Men’s Squash

The Brewers ended their 4-0 winning streak as they fell to both Connecticut College and Haverford College on Saturday, Nov. 19. Both teams defeated the Vassar men’s squash team with scores of 1-8.

Although multiple Brewers fought hard and tested Connecticut’s prowess, senior captain Vincent Mencotti was the only Brewer to earn a win in the match. Mencotti earned a win against the Connecticut Camels with set scores of 11-3, 9-11, 11-4 and 11-7. The Camels then went on to win the next seven sets and clinch the 8-1 win.

Then facing the Haverford Fords, Mencotti continued his dominance as he went undefeated in his set 11-4, 14-12 and 11-9.

Freshman Viraj Nadkarni also came ready to fight and defeated Haverford’s Tate Miller in the first set, but later fell in the next three sets. After Nadkarni’s battle, the Brewers fell in the remaining matches against the Fords.

The Vassar men’s squash team will next compete against Bard College and Tufts University at home on Dec. 4 at 11 a.m.

Men’s Swimming

On Nov. 19, the men’s swimming and diving team competed in the United States Merchant Marines Academy Memorial Invitational. At the invitational, the Brewers faced the United States Merchant Marines Academy, Adelphi University, Queens College, Stevens Institute of Technology and SUNY Maritime.

For the first event of the day, seniors Chris Cerutti and Anthony Walker, junior Jonah Strand and sophomore Lukas Harries collectively swam a 1:42.50 to claim fifth in the 200 medley relay.

To prove underclassmen talent, freshman Jordan Kalina then nabbed a ninth place finish in the 500 free with a time of 5:14.65.

Next up, Strand proved dominance as he clinched Vassar’s only win of the day in the 200 breaststroke and a second place title in the 200 IM. Fellow classmate Walker also earned a second place finish as he swam the 200 butterfly in 1:58.81.

The Brewers then went on to claim multiple 10th-place finishes, including junior Luke Morrison in the 200 IM, Cerutti in the 100 backstroke and sophomore Ian LaBash in the 200 freestyle.

In the diving pool, junior Connor Martin earned eight in the one-meter diving event as he scored a 134.75.

The men’s swimming and diving team will now have a few weeks of training before jumping into the Liberty League Championships on Dec. 2 and 3 in Rochester, NY.

Women’s Swimming

The Brewers had a strong showing at the United States Merchant Marine Memorial with senior Julia Cunningham and sophomore Sammy Stone at the reins.

For the first race of the day, Cunningham along with sophomores Kael Ragnini, Meg Harrington and Stone to earned a second place finish in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:57.89.

Stone then continued her success in the 500 freestyle and 200 free as she earned two first place titles with times of 5:18.14 and 1:58.57, respectively.

Ragnini also placed in the top for the 500 freestyle as she grabbed third place with a time of 5:25.81.

With a second place under her belt, Cunningham next dominated the 200 IM as she finished in 2:14.98, at least seven seconds ahead of each of her competitors. Cunningham then took home another first place finish as she flew through the 200 fly in 2:09.08, finishing with a 13-second lead.

VC then went to earn two titles in the 200 IM as freshman Sarah Boese took home eighth place and senior captain Kayla Schwab soon followed for ninth.

Harrington then claimed another victory on the day as she was titled sixth for her 59.30 second finish in the 100 freestyle. Lastly, the 400 free relay team tapped in at third place with a collective time of 3:55.12.

Vassar will next compete on Dec. 2 and 3 at the Liberty League Championships.

Freshman Sophie Nick looks for teammates in battle against William Paterson University on Nov. 28. VC looks to improve its record in Wednesday Nov. 30 game against Drew University. Courtesy of Carlisle Stockton

Women’s Basketball

On Monday, Nov. 28, the women’s basketball team dropped to William Paterson University 62-64. Although Vassar had multiple handsome leads throughout the game, William Paterson narrowed the margin and ultimately took the lead, and the game, late in the fourth quarter.

Starting the game with strong momentum, VC built up a 17-6 lead within the first nine minutes. This success is contributed to multiple Brewers, including senior captain Ariella Rosenthal, freshmen Sophie Nick and Isa Peczuh. Rosenthal earned her first double-double of the season as she grabbed 14 rebounds and scored 20 points against the Pioneers.

Right behind Rosenthal, Nick led the team with 11 points. She also tallied four assists and nine rebounds. Proving herself early in her Vassar career, Nick holds the second seed for total points with 61 and is third in line for free throw percentage with 92.3 percent. Due to these strong performances, Nick has earned conference accolades, picking up Rookie of the Week for two consecutive weeks.

Commanded by Rosenthal and Nick on Monday night, the Brewers entered halftime 31-25. VC then continued its lead in the third quarter, but wavered a bit towards the end as the margin dwindled to one point.

With 1:33 left in the match, the atmosphere changed as the Pioneers tied the match-up at 58. Scoring a few more points, William Paterson then sealed the Brewers’ fate as the clock ticked to zero.

Vassar will next host Drew University on Wednesday, Dec. 30 in the AFC.

Men’s Basketball

After starting its season with a program best record of 3-0, the men’s basketball team faced a string of tough competition on the road. After playing Maritime College, Elmira College and Waynesburg University, the Brewers now hold a record of 4-2.

On Nov. 26, VC headed to the University of Rochester Thanksgiving Tournament to face Elmira College in the first round. After an early 0-8 deficit, the Brewers were unable to gain the lead and faced their first loss of the season with a score of 67-76.

Nevertheless, seven Brewers were able to make it on the scoreboard against the Soaring Eagles. The team’s scorers included junior Jesse Browne, sophomores Alex Seff, Mason Dyslin, Chris Gallivan and Steve Palecki, and freshmen Mattie Mrlik and Owen Murray.

Ready for revenge, the men then defeated Waynesburg University in a very close battle 85- 82. Throughout the match, the lead changed seven times, with the final lead change in Vassar’s favor with 1:36 left.

The Brewers’ leading scorer of the day was Browne, who netted a total of 26 points. Another strong performer was freshman Kyle Kappes, who posted a career-high 10 points, going threefor-four on the three-point line.

VC will next face Williams College on Thursday, Dec. 1 in Williamstown, MA.