New ‘modern’ font creates controversy among athletes

Same school. Same teams. New look. This year the Vassar Athletic department has created a new font and wordmark to be used by all varsity athletic teams for uniforms, apparel and promotion.

The new wordmark features bold burgundy block letters, at a slight right slant and with a white finish. Although Vassar has never had an official font before, most old lettering for varsity teams featured thinner, more Gothic characters.

Vassar’s Athletic Communications Director Jamie Chagnon shared, “I’m very happy with the new design, and I think it helps coaches, staff and the apparel companies we work with as we try to build continuity throughout the department. I believe it’s a strong mark, which represents the strength that we have and are building throughout our 27 teams at Vassar.”

According to Chagnon, the design was created by the collaboration of the Athletics Department and the Communications Department after three years of work.

“The Athletic Department was looking at a way to bring our teams together under one cohesive mark,” Chagnon said. “The addition of the new Vassar Brewers wordmark will connect all of our teams, helping to further the brand of Vassar Athletics as a whole. We are very happy with the results and are excited about the future of our department with the new wordmark as a strong representation of our brand.”

Chignon also noted that even with the addition of the new wordmark, the historic “Interlocking VC” will still remain as one of the primary logos.

Believe it or not, athletes are even competitive about the new font. A few have shared sentiments about the ground-breaking decision of the Athletics Department that will affect generations to come.

“I love the new font, it looks much more professional and sophisticated than years prior,” said sophomore basketball player Steve Palecki. “I really like the way it looks on the new gear, we are blessed by the amount of gear we get and how good we look. We are all so lucky.”

Other athletes, however, have been more hesitant about the new design.

“I definitely like the old design better. It matches the character of Vassar’s architecture,” said freshman fencer Noe Berger, who was last week’s male featured athlete of the week. “The new one looks like it’s trying too hard to be modern.”

Junior cross country runner Michael Scarlett jokes, “The men’s cross country team has decided not to take an official position on the new font.”

“A pro is that it is easy to read,” said Scarlett. “A con is that my cousin could have used Microsoft Paint to make the same thing.”

Scarlett hints that himself and the rest of the cross country team are on the fence over such a change.

Freshman cross country runner Will Dwyer said that he also prefers the old design better.

“When we went to cross country meets, we were the only team with that Gothic font, and it’s so Vassar,” Dwyer said. “And now it’s not the same, and we look like a lot of the other teams out there.” Vassar differs from other colleges nationwide in a variety of ways, but has this new wordmark made us just like the others?

Hoping to not split up teams over such a change, Chagnon placated, “As with any transition, there is an adjustment period, but I think as time goes by, this mark used alongside our already historic ‘Interlocking VC’ will serve us very well for years to come.”

Only time will tell the future of Vassar’s athletic teams after the introduction of this new “modernized” look.