Multiple Brewers earn accolades for notable performances

Junior captain Ariella Rosenthal scores 1000th career point in recent home match against Skidmore. The Brewers head into an important league weekend against St. Lawrence and Clarkson. / Courtesy of Carlisle Stockton

Women’s Basketball

This past weekend, the Brewers split the weekend 1-1 as they fell to Union College 51-56 on Friday, but turned things around to beat Skidmore College 62-59 the next day.

Against the Dutchmen of Union, Vassar fell short shooting-wise as the team capitalized 26.8 percent for field goals, 21.7 percent for three-pointers and 66.7 percent from the foul line, compared to Union’s respective percentages of 43.8, 26.7 and 66.7.

Nevertheless, sophomore Nicole Teta and freshman Sophie Nick each scored double-digits as they both collected 10 points on the night. Junior captain Ariella Rosenthal was close behind with eight points, followed by fellow junior captain Samarah Cook with seven points.

With postseason play approaching, VC needed to turn things around in hopes to earn a spot in the upcoming Liberty League playoffs. The Brewers did just that as they upset No. 2 Skidmore College on Saturday, Feb. 4.

Junior captain Ariella Rosenthal tallied a significant 25 points to lift Vassar over the Thoroughbreds of Skidmore College 62-59. As Rosenthal sunk her 24th point of the day, she collected her 1000th point of her collegiate career, a very impressive accolade, especially as a junior. Rosenthal was the 12th Brewer to earn this title, including recent graduate Caitlin Drakeley. In addition to points, Rosenthal contributed 11 rebounds, two assists and a steal.

Sophomore Nicole Teta was second highest scorer of the night as she added 13 points, including a game-changing three-point bucket to give the Brewers the 57-56 lead with a mere 1:10 left in the game.

Representing the strong freshmen class, Sophie Nick tabbed nine points while Isa Peczuh added eight. Junior captain Samarah Cook (4) and sophomores Maeve Sussman (2) and Sabrina Ulsh (1) rounded out the rest of the points for the Brewers.

With this impressive win, Vassar rests at No. 5 in Liberty League standings and looks to beat out No. 4 Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY on Saturday, Feb. 11 at 2 p.m.

Junior Matt Knigge returns from abroad to continue dominating competition. After beating No. 6 NYU, Vassar’s next competition will be in the Vassar College Invitational on Feb. 10 and 11. / Courtesy of Carlisle Stockton

Men’s Volleyball

Continuing its strong season, the Vassar men’s volleyball team, ranked No. 9, blew out No. 6 New York University in three sets, 25-11, 25-13 and 25-15 on Friday, Feb. 3. This match marked round one of the two-round International Volleyball Hall of Fame Classic hosted by Springfield College.

To earn their win, the Brewers finished with a 0.431 hitting percentage, 9 aces and 12 blocks. Leading the efforts, junior All-American Matt Knigge collected five kills, three aces and four blocks on the day. Meanwhile, sophomore George Diehl earned seven kills and six blocks as freshman Yoni Auerbach collected six kills and five blocks against the NYU Knights. Junior Zechariah Lee contributed by adding 25 assists.

The senior captains led the team both on and off the court against NYU as Trey Cimorelli tabbed nine digs and three assists, Quinn Rutledge had one ace and five digs and Christian Lizana finished with three aces and one assist. Cimorelli’s nine digs constitute his match-best and add to his career total of 939.

Collectively, Vassar won nearly every statistical category, including digs (27-17), kills (28-19), blocks (12-3) and aces (9-0).

On Saturday, the Brewers struggled as they faced top-ranked the Springfield College Pride for the Morgan Classic title. VC was unable to secure the win and the title as the men were topped 13-25, 13-25, 19-25.

Despite the loss, Rutledge, Knigge and Auerbach registered three kills each as Lee joined Knigge to finish with one ace apiece. For assists, Lee finished with 15 while Rutledge and freshman libero Kevin Ros finished with one each,

Cimorelli continued his road to 1,000 digs as he notched another four against the Tribe, followed by Lee and Auerbach with three each.

With such impressive performances, Knigge and Lee earned All-Tournament Team honors.

With this 1-1 weekend, the Brewers record progresses to 6-5. The men will next host the Vassar College Invitational on Feb. 10 and 11. In the invitational, VC will face College of Mount Saint Vincent and Stevenson University on Friday, followed by Ramapo College and Johnson & Wales University on Saturday.

Men’s Fencing

After a challenging first round of Northeast Fencing Conference last weekend, Vassar returned to play on Saturday, Feb. 4 as the men’s fencing team competed against Yale University. In this away match, the Brewers were bested by the Bulldogs 8-19.

Nevertheless, the team’s sabre and foil teams collected three wins each as epee finished with two victories.

Freshman sabre Graeme Mills was a standout performer for the day as he finished with a record of 2-1, defeating Yale’s senior Reed Srere 5-4 and blowing out senior Ian Richards 5-0. Also for the sabre team, senior Campbell Woods collected a win over Yale’s sophomore Arthur Befumo.

In foil, Vassar earned three victories thanks to junior Tom Racek, sophomore Michael Skolnick and freshman Noe Berger. Racek and Berger both clinched the 5-3 wins over their Yale opponents as Skolnick earned the 5-2 victory over Yale’s sophomore Lance Chantiles.

The final Vassar victories came at the hands of junior epee Jonathan Alperstein and senior epee Ry Farley. Alperstein defeated Bulldog junior Avery Vella 5-2, while Farley finished with a thrilling 5-4 win over sophomore Jonathan Xu.

The team will continue play in the Northeast Fencing Conference on Saturday, Feb. 11. VC will travel to Medford, MA to face the University of New Hampshire, Dartmouth College, Boston University, Sacred Heart University and the University of Massachusetts.

Men’s Squash

The Vassar men’s squash team faced talented conference rivals: the University of Rochester, Bard College, St. Lawrence University and Hobart College at the Liberty League Championships on Feb. 4 and 5.

On Saturday Feb. 4, the squad unfortunately fell to both Rochester (0-9) and Bard (3-6).

Against the Rochester Yellow Jackets, Vassar staggered against the tough competition and was unable to secure any wins. However, seniors Vincent Mencotti and Lucas Fifer both put up good fights and scored at least 15 points in their matches.

Later in the day, the Brewers finally reached the scoreboard as Mencotti, junior Alex Riccio and sophomore Isaac Stuart defeated their Bard opponents. At the top spot, Mencotti defeated Bard sophomore Rhys Nordstrom 3-11, 11-3, 7-11, 11-6, 11-8 in five sets. Then at No. 7, Riccio earned the win in just three sets, beating freshman Theo Webb 11-9, 11-3, 11-7. Stuart rounded out the wins at No. 9 with a win versus junior Simon DeBevoise 11-5, 14-12, 11-7.

The Brewers returned to the courts the very next day to take on St. Lawrence and Hobart. To its dismay, the team was left scoreless over both series of matches and fell 0-9 to both opponents.

Nevertheless, Riccio, Stuart and freshman Viraj Nadkarni all scored at least 10 points against the Saints of St. Lawrence. Nadkarni also collected 10 points against the Statesman of Hobart, along with senior Richard Bryenton.

Looking to turn things around, Vassar will return to play in the College Squash Association (CSA) Championship from Feb. 17 through 19.

Women’s Rugby

Although the women’s squash team ended their season on Dec. 4, 2016, the Tri-State Rugby Conference announced the All-Conference Teams on Tuesday, Feb. 7.

After a very strong season and an appearance in the Elite Eight quarterfinal round, Vassar and three standout athletes earned recognition from the conference. Among those recognized, the Brewers claimed three spots on the All-Conference team, including senior flanker Nathalie Freeman, senior prop Mariah Ghant and senior flyhalf Mary Margaret McElduff.

During Vassar’s 2016 season, McElduff led the scoring efforts with nine tries and 59 cons for 163 total points, Freeman followed with 120 points off of 24 tries and Ghant clinched 55 points off of 11 tries. As these talented seniors graduate, they will add this achievement to their lists of accomplishments as members of Vassar rugby. The team will resume play on Mar. 15, 2017 in Barcelona, Spain.

Men’s Rugby

Similar to the women’s squad, the Tri-State Rugby Conference released the picks for the All-Conference Teams, recognizing athletes for their impressive accomplishments during the 2016 season.

The men’s All-Conference Team features athletes from top-ranked Sacred Heart University and No. 2 William Patterson University. Included in the bunch is senior center Seamus Taylor, who scored five tries for a total of 25 points during the 2016 season. The team will next compete internationally in Barcelona on Mar. 15, 2017.