Updates from the VSA: April 12, 2017

Spring Elections Voting Now Open!

Voting in the Spring Elections will close at 12 p.m. on Thursday, April 13. If you read this before then, there is still time to vote! You can vote at http://vsavote.vassar/edu. The link can also be found in voting emails sent out by VSA President Calvin Lamothe. Results will be announced Thursday evening in the Old Bookstore (exact time TBD, will be announced in an email). Members of the Class of 2017 can vote for all-campus positions! That means if you are a senior, you can still vote for next year’s VSA Executive Board, Committee Chairs and a few other key positions! Don’t forget to vote–Vassar’s voter turnout is usually quite high–let’s shoot for as big a turnout as we can get!

This Week’s VSA Senate Meeting

This week, the VSA Senate invited Charlotte Strauss-Swanson and Nicole Feehan, Director and Violence Prevention Educator, respectively, in the Sexual Assault and Violence Prevention (SAVP) office, for a forum. In the forum, we discussed the upcoming What Happens Here survey, Sexual Assault Awareness Month programming and the potential future use of a website called Callisto, which provides additional reporting resources to survivors of sexual assault.

We discussed a number of Finance-related issues at our Senate meeting. First, it was noted that although our bylaws state that orgs cannot purchase alcohol with VSA money, Senior Class Council and Traditions do indirectly purchase alcohol for various events, including Founder’s Day and those during Senior Week. An amendment to the bylaws to clarify this process is expected in the next few weeks. Finance has also begun the annual budgeting timeline. If you are a treasurer, you should have received an email from Shahid Naeem, Chair of Finance, detailing this process. Do not forget to fill out your annual budgeting application if you would like your org to have a substantial budget next year!

If you are interested in learning more about any of these topics, all VSA Senate minutes, agendas and meeting materials can be found in a folder on Google Drive called “VSA Senate Agendas 2016-17,” to which all students have view access. See the first of this week’s two all-campus emails for a link the folder and add it to your Drive for easy viewing! To follow a live stream of the VSA Senate meetings on Sunday nights at 7 p.m., check out The Miscellany News on Twitter.

Project Period

Project Period is officially back on! For those of you who don’t know, Project Period (aka “P.”) is a VSA initiative dedicated to providing free menstrual products to the Vassar community. The project was conceptualized in Fall of 2015 and has been in the works ever since. The project, at this time, offers menstrual pads and tampons of varying absorbencies. Our products, packed away in clear boxes, are located in each residential bathroom and in a few academic/general bathrooms (ex. Main College Center, Library, Bridge Building, etc.). We will have them stationed at the most popular spots on campus so students will not go without, no matter where they find themselves in the case of an emergency. This project will go live early- to mid-April so keep an eye out for those nifty boxes! In the very near future, we are looking to expand the project to include anonymous ordering and delivery, similar to C.H.O.I.C.E.

At this time, Health & Wellness Committee is recruiting volunteers for Project Period who would be interested in managing the project long-term. If you are interested in being a part of this, please attend our next meeting on Tuesday, April 18 at 6 p.m. in the VSA Office (CC207). Also, please email Natalie Kopke at nakopke[at]vassar.edu to confirm your interest and to get relevant updates.

Final NYC Shuttle of the Year!

Save the date: the last VSA-sponsored shuttle to New York City will be Saturday, April 29. As the date approaches, keep an eye out for more information via email and in these Misc updates about ticket sales!

VSA Friday Movie Night Series in Blodgett Auditorium Begins FRIDAY

The VSA and the Campus Activities Office have revived the Friday Night Movie Series that took place long ago in Blodgett Auditorium every week! This week (Friday, April 14), the movie will be Fences, screening at 8 p.m. in the Blodgett Auditorium. Refreshments will also be provided thanks to our new popcorn machine!

Take the What Happens Here Survey!

Vassar is conducting the second What Happens Here: Campus Climate survey of all currently enrolled students concerning issues relevant to sexual assault, misconduct and interpersonal violence at Vassar. In order to have reliable information, it is vital that as many Vassar students participate as are comfortable. Your candid answers will be helpful, informative and appreciated.

Your participation is entirely voluntary, and completely anonymous. Your decision to answer any particular question on the survey, or not, is equally voluntary.

Links to the survey are individualized (so that the survey may not be taken twice) and can be found in your vassar.edu email inbox until Friday, April 28th. The email containing the link is labeled: “Vassar Sexual Misconduct Survey — your invitation and link.”

Survey FAQs, including findings from, and responses to, the 2015 Campus Climate Survey may be found on our survey website! Stay tuned for updates at http://www.vassar.edu/ whathappenshere/ Let’s encourage one another to take this survey so that we have a better understanding of #WhatHappensHere.