VSA Updates 4/24/18

Consensus Agenda – Passed

Finance Allocations

• 800/1300 from Community to CHOICE for Dog Daze of Wellness (a working title)
  • 3675/3675 from Discretionary to Transmission for TransMission & ViCE Weekly
  • Present: BbyMutha & Ahmerahsu
  • 0/500 from Collab to Cushing for Cushing Gala
  • 150/150 from Speakers to Vassar Animal Rights Coalition for Catskill Animal Sanctuary Lecture
  • 250/250 from Pre-orgs to CoOPERAtive for Giovanni and Friends: An Evening of Mozart Opera Scenes
  • 70/70 from Capital to Vassar Food Community for a food spiralizer and a food processor
  • 50/50 from Capital to BNI for Kan Jam and Ladder Ball for Founder’s Day and future use

VSA Transition

• The VSA Senate invited incoming Executive Board members to its meeting last Sunday.
  • The next meeting will include incoming Senators and Committee Chairs, and the final meeting (on Sunday, May 6) will be a joint meeting between the second and third VSA Senates.

Programming Committee

• No updates.

Health and Wellness Committee

• The Health and Wellness Committee is co-sponsoring a day of wellness, Dog Daze of Wellness, in the week leading up to Founder’s Day. Stay tuned for more event info!
  • The second campus panel regarding the What Happens Here survey was this Wednesday.

Planning Committee

• No updates.

Joint Committees

• At the recent Campus Investor Responsibility Committee meeting, VSA representatives voted on several proposals regarding the investment of Vassar’s endowment.
  • Both College Planning Senators met with Climate Action to discuss several proposals for the Sustainability Committee to review regarding the use of stormwater on Vassar’s campus.
  • The VSA Vice President met with the Committee on Admissions and Financial Aid to discuss the incoming class of first-year students. Admissions will have final statistics to report after May 1.

Academics Committee

• Incoming  Chair of Academics  May Venkat-Ramani ’20 met with the Curricular Change Committee to discuss the upcoming changes to curricular policies. The new course catalog is in the process of being designed, and will be finalized by October 2018. Final changes won’t be made until 2019, meaning the class of 2020 will be able to choose between the current system and the new system, but all new policies will affect all future classes, beginning with the class of 2021.

Committee on Equity and Inclusion

• No updates.

Finance Committee

• All budgets have been sent to org leadership. The deadline to appeal budget allocations is this Friday, April 27. The budget will be finalized at a joint meeting of the incoming and outgoing VSA Senates on May 6.

Committee on Residential Affairs

• No updates.

Organizations Committee

• The committee held a workshop for new pre-orgs last weekend, outlining the process of moving from pre-org to full org status.

Vice President

• Operations Committee has been re-viewing the new VSA Special Rules and will present them to the Senate at its next meeting.

President

• VSA President Anish Kanoria ’18 met with incoming Vice President for Alumnae/i Affairs and Development Tim Kane. They discussed a number of topics, including the formation of an international alumni association.
  • Kanoria and incoming VSA President Tamar Ballard ’19 have been working on the review of Dean of the College Chris Roellke, and will submit a recommendation to President Bradley in the coming week. A decision regarding the Dean of the College position will likely be made at the final meeting of the Board of Trustees the weekend before commencement.
  • The President has been part of a working group of trustees and administrators meeting to discuss design proposals for the Inn and Institute. This week, that group will narrow down the proposals to one design to be put before the trustees for consideration.
  • Several members of the Engaged Pluralism Initiative (EPI) have been discussing forming a subcommittee to continue the conversation begun at the VSA-sponsored panel on what it means to be a global campus.

—Julian Corbett, General VSA Intern