With seasons in full swing, a quick look at Vassar’s teams

Field hockey—The team is off to a fast start, the only blemish on their 5-1 record being a defeat to 6th-ranked Christopher Newport. The Brewers have outscored their opponents 11-0 in their last three contests, jetting the team to a #20 ranking nationally. Seniors Emily Poehlein, Megan Caveny and Alyssa More have paced the Brewers so far, with 14, 13 and 12 points respectively.

Men’s soccer—It’s been a balanced scoring load that’s gotten the new-look Brewers off to a 4-2-0 start, with junior Kevin Baliat and first-year Quinn Tunnell splitting the team lead in goals at two each. Junior Mattie Mrlik and senior Tyler Gilmore each have a goal and two assists. It’s Gilmore and fellow senior captain and central defender Tim Collins providing stability in the back for the squad. The team begins Liberty League play against RIT this Saturday at Gordon Field at 1 p.m.

Women’s soccer—After early-season losses to tough NYU and Stevens sides, the Brewers have rattled off three straight convincing wins to carry them to a 4-2-0 record. Underclassmen have been key in the charge, with four goals from first-year forward Emma Tanner and three goals and two assists from sophomore Ashley Ferry. Senior Emma Lavelle and junior Jordan Moss have been constants in the Brewer backline.

Women’s rugby—The team is off to a dominant start. With two games under their belt, the team has outscored their competition 154-0 thanks especially to a 117-0 opening game win against New Paltz (yes, you read that correctly.) Senior Oshana Reich and sophomore Molly Lynch have scored four tries each so far to lead the Brewers, with senior Makena Emery helping out with nine conversions and two penalties. They’ll expect stronger competition this Sunday when they host Siena.

Men’s rugby—The team took to the field for the first time this year on Saturday, Sept. 15, facing Monroe College. After falling behind by two tries, tying it up, then falling behind again, the Brewers battled back for a 29-15 win. Senior Rob Eder scored two tries for Vassar, with one apiece from junior Evan Roberts, senior Louie Brown and sophomore Logan Ragsdale.

Women’s golf—The story of the team thus far is one of progress. A seventh-place finish at the St. Lawrence Invitational on Sept. 9 was bettered by four spots by the young Brewers at the Ann S. Batchelder Invitational in Wellesley, MA on Sept. 15 and 16. First-year Shihan Zhou exemplified this progress, shooting a career-best 157 over the two days, good for sixth place overall.

Women’s tennis—Sept. 15 saw the women’s tennis team take to the courts behind Josselyn House for the first time this year to face Connecticut College, New Paltz and NYU in the annual Vassar Scramble. Overall, the Brewers posted an impressive 15-3 record across singles and doubles play. Junior Morgane Flournoy earned the honor of Liberty League Singles Performer of the Week after going 3-0 in singles during the Scramble.

Men’s cross country—Men’s cross country took fourth overall at Rowan University’s Bill Fritz/ Charlie Way Invitational on Sept. 15. Sophomore Peter Ferretter and senior Luke Arsenault put together particularly strong performances in the 8000m race, finishing in fourth and fifth respectively. After hosting (and winning) their first two events of the season, the team will rest this week before racing again on Sept. 29 in Saratoga, NY.

Women’s cross country—The Bill Fritz/Charlie Way Invitational was to be a commanding victory for the women’s team, who got two runners in the top five (sophomore Hannah Martin and senior Elise Matera) and three more in the top 15 (first-year Keara Ginell, first-year Bailey Carrillo and senior Cameron Daddis.) These results led Vassar to a 42-point performance, 19 points better than second-place RIT.

Women’s volleyball—Three straight wins has women’s volleyball sitting at a 7-4 record. An average of 4.91 kills per set over those games landed junior hitter Jane McLeod with Liberty League Performer of the Week honors. McLeod is second on the team in kills with 129, trailing only senior Devan Gallagher’s 143. On the defensive side of the ball, junior Jorden Schreeder has been key, piling up 168 digs, while junior Jennifer Kerbs leads the team with 17 blocks.