Dr. Phil peddles lies, manipulates guests for TV fame

Phil McGraw, or Dr. Phil, has committed various acts of deception throughout his career as a popular talk show host, such as setting up guests for public ridicule, promoting con artists and endorsing false advertisements for weight loss supplements. Courtesy of Jerry Avenaim/Wikimedia Commons.

As Phillip McGraw, or Dr. Phil, once stated, “Every choice you make—including the thoughts you think—has consequences. When you choose the behavior or thought, you choose the consequences. If you choose to stay with a destructive partner, then you choose the consequences of pain and suffering. If you choose thoughts contaminated with anger and bitterness, then you will create an experience of alienation and hostility. When you start choosing the right behavior and thoughts—which take a lot of discipline— you’ll get the right consequences” (DrPhil. com, “Dr. Phil’s Ten Life Laws,” 07.13.2003).

McGraw is a television personality, selfhelp guru, author, entrepreneur and selfstyled mental health expert. Currently in its 16th season, the TV series that bears his name has aired well over 2,000 episodes and has gained immense popularity over the years. In August, his show celebrated a major achievement: It has ran 100 straight weeks as the number-one rated daytime talk show on television (Broadcasting Cable, “Syndication Ratings: Dr. Phil Hits 100 Straight Weeks as Top Talker,” 08.14.2018). McGraw is, if nothing else, influential. And for good reason: He’s charming, down to earth, a straight shooter and has a talent for discussing difficult and upsetting topics, ranging from addiction to mental illness to crime, in a way that the layman can understand. He has built an incredible persona.

Sadly for Phil McGraw, however, every choice you make has consequences. If you drive drunk, you do so knowing full well that the risk is that you could get into an accident and seriously hurt someone. If you don’t study for an exam, then you implicitly accept the possible consequence of failing the course. And, if you run a beloved television series—one that provides to its viewers advice on a variety of mental health issues—and you choose to break the basic ethical code of your occupation, promote bad psychology, publicly humiliate vulnerable people and willfully put your guests’ health and safety at risk, then you choose the consequences of these actions. Specifically, you choose to be “Dr.” Phil McGraw, a fake psychologist and host of a pop-psychology program that actively hurts its guests and its viewers. Like McGraw, I believe you choose the consequences of your actions—he has made his bed; now the time has finally come for him to lie in it.

First, it’s important to understand that Dr. Phil is not a real doctor. While he does have a Ph.D. in psychology and used to have a license, he is no longer a licensed psychologist and cannot legally practice in the state of California, where he lives and films his show (Everyday Psychology, “Is Dr. Phil actually a psychologist?” 01.29.2008). Why did he leave the profession? We’re not sure, but his career was marred in 1988 by serious scandal. Sara Jane Morrison, a 19-year-old client of McGraw, alleged that he carried on an unprofessional sexual relationship with her, would touch her inappropriately and intentionally kept her “totally dependent” on him (Salon, “Who’s your daddy?” 11.25.2003). The Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists investigated the accusations, along with claims that McGraw inappropriately provided her with part-time temporary employment while still carrying on a therapeutic relationship. Their findings never referenced the accusations of sexual misconduct, but they did discover that McGraw sustained an improper dual relationship with Morrison by acting both as her therapist and employer. The Board issued him a letter of reprimand, assigned a psychologist to monitor his practice and required him to take an ethics class and a complete psychological evaluation (Casewatch, “Disciplinary Action against Phillip McGraw, Ph.D.,” 12.12.2009).

Whatever the reason may be, Phil McGraw is no longer a licensed psychologist, nor has he been for some time. McGraw told the American Psychological Association that he does not see himself as his guests’ therapist, and he does not consider what he does on his show to be psychology. He also doesn’t claim that his show is a serious substitute for therapy. He acknowledged, “We do not labor under the false impression that we are doing an eight-minute cure.” Instead, he believes that the series’ primary goal is to let people know that it’s okay to treat problems and get help and deliver understable information about how to live one’s life (American Psychological Association, “Behind the scenes of the Dr. Phil show,” 10.2006). That’s a fine goal, but Dr. Phil’s show regularly exploits people with serious mental illnesses and disabilities for financial and entertainment purposes. He humiliates his guests, many of whom he and his staff put in physical danger, as exemplified by the case of Kaden Mahaffa.

In 2019, Mahaffa filed a lawsuit against Phil McGraw and CBS after what she deemed to be a disastrous appearance on the show. According to the lawsuit, Mahaffa appeared on “Dr. Phil” in 2017 to seek help for her boyfriend, who had been abused by his family. Instead, after finding out in a preshow interview that she had been suffering from significant mental health disabilities, the show spent much of its time making fun of her mental health issues. Mahaffa now accuses McGraw of aggressively interrogating her and inviting the audience to laugh and jeer at her, causing such a significant mental breakdown backstage that she was involuntarily committed to a mental health facility. Mahaffa claims that she still deals with harassment as result of the show to this day (Courthouse News, “Dr. Phil Guest Claims He Exploited Her Mental Illness for Profit,” 02.08.2019).

“[Mr. McGraw is a] powerful Hollywood celebrity who uses his fame and credibility as a mental health professional to gain the trust of mentally-ill psychiatric patients, only to turn around and publicly humiliate them for the sake of good television ratings and advertising dollars,” argued Mahaffa. Her lawyers also stated, “Any reasonable person—let alone a clinical psychologist like Defendant McGraw—would immediately recognize that Ms. Mahaffa was a mentally-ill individual in crisis, not someone to be exploited on a national TV show” (Courthouse News).

This blunder is bad, but it is far from the most high-profile case of Phil McGraw exploiting someone’s mental health disability for his own benefit. In 2016, McGraw’s show tracked down famed actress Shelley Duvall, most well known for her work on films such as “The Shining” and “Popeye.” However, it became clear during their conversation that Duvall’s mental health had been deteriorating. The interview got slammed by the public for exploiting her mental illness for cheap laughs and ratings, and many people demanded that McGraw apologize to Duvall and her family. Vivian Kubrick, the daughter of Stanley Kubrick, wrote that the show was, “purely a form of lurid and exploitive entertainment.” Journalist Ronan Farrow tweeted seven times about the interview, which he called “shameless” (Variety, “Dr. Phil Shelley Duvall Interview Prompts Criticism for Exploitative Entertainment,” 11.18.2016).

In addition, his treatment of addiction is also horrendous. In one instance, Todd Herzog, a former winner of the hit reality television series “Survivor,” appeared on McGraw’s show in 2013 to discuss his drinking problem. However, he was so drunk that he had to be carried onto the set and lifted into a chair. Before you wonder why a supposedly trained psychologist did something so cruel as to put a man too drunk to walk on national television, first consider the horrendously immoral and unethical actions that led to this situation. According to Herzog, he was set up: His dressing room came with a full bottle of vodka. After drinking all of it, a staff member supposedly handed him a Xanax, which he took before he came on stage. Herzog also claimed that, when he appeared on the show again in 2014, he once again found vodka placed in his dressing room (STAT, “Dr. Phil says he rescues people from addiction. Others say his show puts guests’ health at risk,” 12.28.2017).

McGraw, of course, denied the allegations, but the claims are backed up by staff accounts. Leah Rothman, who accused McGraw of locking employees in rooms and screaming at them over leaks to the media, said that, “His primary interest was not about helping people on the show, but rather, done for the sake of ratings and making money. Dr. Phil often embarrassed guests on his show in their darkest hour, leaving the staff to pick up the pieces of the broken people who had put their trust in Dr. Phil” (STAT).

In another case, Kaitlin King-Parrish appeared on the show in 2016, hoping that McGraw would help her with her heroin addiction. As a six-months pregnant mother, she expected the show to provide her with medical supervision for her detox. Instead, she was left to fend for herself. When Kaitlin tried to go to the hospital, she didn’t receive any attention from medical personnel, and ultimately left after waiting for four hours. Then, a “Dr. Phil” staffer accompanied Kaitlin as she went into the city to buy heroin. Before the show, staffers told Kaitlin’s mother not to question what McGraw tells her. If she did, they warned her that McGraw may not provide her daughter the services she needed to recover. So, she shut up and let herself, her daughter and her unborn granddaughter be manipulated by a predator (STAT). McGraw abused his power over an addict and her family for ratings, and in doing so put not just Kaitlin’s life in danger but also the life of her unborn daughter.

That doesn’t even scrape the surface of the accusations of misconduct and bad psychology that have followed this man throughout his career. In 2012, he promoted the “psychic medium”—otherwise known as a fraud who exploits grieving people, kind of like our good friend Phil—John Edward on his show (Dr. Phil, Skeptics Beware: The Psychic Intuitives Are Here,” 08.02.2012). In 2003, his weight loss supplement line, “Shape Up,” resulted in a class-action lawsuit against him as well as an investigation by the Federal Trade Commission for false-advertising (Los Angeles Times, “Class Status Sought for Dr. Phil Diet Case,” 08.03.2005). In 2008, a staffer for his show bailed out a Florida teeanger who brutally beat up another girl and posted the video on YouTube, just so that she could appear on his program (NY Daily News, “Dr. Phil staff bails out Florida girl charged in videotaped teen beating,” 04.14.2008).

In the era of of the #MeToo movement, it is time to call out all kinds of predators. McGraw is a predator, one who preys on vulnerable people who look to him for guidance. He likes to tell his guests that they choose the consequences that come with their actions. Well, Phil, let’s look at your choices and your behavior throughout your long career. You chose to engage in an inappropriate relationship with a client, and thus, the consequence of getting yourself in serious trouble with Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists. You chose to make a career humiliating mentally ill people on live television, and therefore chose the consequence of leaving them with emotional scars that may never heal. You chose to put addicts in serious danger, and chose the consequence of causing them severe injury. You chose to feature John Edward on your show, and thus the consequence of supporting a known swindler. You chose to peddle a fake weightloss supplement, and thus chose the consequence of a class-action lawsuit and federal investigation.

Phil McGraw has chosen to make the world a worse place. He has chosen to make a career exploiting and hurting people. In turn, we need to choose what the consequence for his actions will be. Will it be 16 more years of success, fame and money? Or, will it be finally getting what has been coming to him for a long, long time?

1. Bullshit! Dr. PHIL is liget and this angry beaver needs to get a life. Trying to make money as a victim doesn’t work in this era. Liar! LIAR!

• All you have to do to find out how big a fraud Dr. Phil is is Google his name. I appreciate your opinion,, But you are the one full of bullshit !! Not the author of this very factual article !! John

• I am working on my Ph.D. and I can tell you Dr. Phil is an embarrassment to the field. In his most recent episode, he suggests a 14-year-old, who was accusing her father of sexual assault, is lying. Whether the allegations are true or not, the way he handled it was unprofessional. He is no more than a talk show host. He claims to be an expert in forensic psychology, addiction, etc. and he is a complete fraud. Even the idea of using a lie detector test is ancient. Someone isn’t continuing their education.

• Which episode was that? I’ve been taping the show, but only for a few weeks. I’m curious to see that episode. Thanks

• Lick my butt. Dr Phil is a money hungry jerkoff. He doesn’t give a dick and balls about anybody’s well being. Does his show pay for the entire treatment that he offers his guests at the end of the show

• His wife is pathetic too just sitting there at every single show like their marriage is absolutely perfect with no problems. Her ugly plastic surgery face just sitting there agreeing with every word he says. She’s only there to promote her shit and make money. They can all kiss my hairy big ass

• oprah, dr. phil and dr. oz are the three headed dragon of hell. most of the people in the audience are mindless sheep

• We have been talking to the producers for the past month about going on the show to get help for my teenage son who has been disrespectful to both my husband and I. Has some anger issues. All of my children have all been in touch with different producers, sending in submission videos and such. Earlier today my daughter sent me screen shots of them telling her to talk about what an unfit mother I am. Trying to create drama. I’ll never trust those ppl again. It’s all for TV. They don’t want to help anyone. All for ratings. I use to be a huge fan. Not anymore

• Be careful. He only puts certain type of people on his show. The kind where he can find fault with them and then yell and insult them. If you Watch his shows back to back you can see that he almost always yells at everyone on that stage. You don’t see educated people on that show either do you? He wants Everyone on that stage to be flawed so he can yell ,insult and criticize them.. He then panders disgustingly with any celebrities he has on his show. He is arrogant self-righteous and an insult to therapist everywhere. You are allowed to disagree with your therapist without getting insulted. Not with Dr. Phil

• I couldn’t agree home When I was working in community mental health, I don’t remember therapists belittling and berating people with such arrogance as he does. He’s having another “blame the parents” show this afternoon. It’s NEVER the kids fault!! Doesn’t he know that parenting has changed??? More issues to deal with. He acts like it’s the 1950s!!!

• It’s true. It’s sad because those who are wounded and hurting gravitate towards a strong personality who claims to have the answer to their problem. Vulnerable people are trusting him, when he is nothing more than a swindler and a fraud. His concern is for how he can make the most money. Not how he can actually help people to heal

• Why is this person who uses & abuses people who by no fault of their own either grow up in an abusive environment/ inherited the addictive gene which they try so hard to overcome & control, but then here comes along someone who sees people who are genetically disposed, a ticket to bring himself into the spotlight as a caring professional who they think will help them yet is nothing but a greedy money grabbing individual who’s sole purpose is to obtain wealth at other people’s expense. A true parasite.

• Yeah….because we all know that “Google” is the most reliable source for truthful information on a topic 😂 That would be equivalent to citing “The Enquirer” as a source for ANY research 😂 👍
        So yeahh, think I am with Sherry Schafer on this one….I also call BULLSHIT. Anybody with the slightest training in the medical field and has ability to retain the least amount of knowledge possible, can EASILY read through this article and see the holes in it.
        Even the author is VERY aware the accusations are simply just NOT TRUE. And how do I know this? The play on words so OBVIOUSLY rearranged throughout the article. For example, and being my FAVORITE among the tactics used here, stating he is not a doctor or a psychologist. Well, news flash here folks….even the author, in an attempt to be somewhat honest I feel, openly admits that Phil Mcgraw DID in fact graduate with a doctoral degree AND it was in PSYCHOLOGY. That means he met ALL requirements put forth by the state of Texas in order to sit for the licensure exam. This fulfillment was ALSO met…..That IS, in fact, a DOCTOR.
        Just because he has allowed that license to expire does not mean he no longer retains the information he learned and used in the field. He did not just suddenly become a different person. He simply did not renew them. And why would he? He has a very successful show, that will continue to be by the way, and, therefore, does not have a need to meet the “continuing education”, among other things, that is required to renew 😉
        I will not elaborate on the remaining accusations and how they also are lacking in truth….. I don’t find it necessary, my point has been driven home 👍

• >>>>>Yeah….because we all know that “Google” is the most reliable source for truthful information on a topic 😂 That would be equivalent to citing “The Enquirer” as a source for ANY research <<<<<

Not an accurate analogy? Google is a search engine. It doesn't create news, it brings it to you via articles like this. Google didn't write this article, it's the result of you searching a name or subject.

• Ted williamson ring a bell?? Phil McGraw is the biggest fraud ever!! He’s not a dr. he just plays one on tv!! Find out what happened in kansas too!!

• Lmao Google is a search engine so what you’re saying doesn’t even make sense and makes you look like on of those paranoid conspiracy theorists. Google is not out to get Dr. Phil lol. You don’t have to believe everything said here but some of this stuff is well documented. He’s been disciplined by the board twice and that’s well documented as well. I could kinda understand if you were saying “Yeah, he’s screwed up and made mistakes but everyone makes mistakes and I think he really does want to help people” because that’s at least logical. I don’t agree with it, but it’s logical. But to completely deny things he’s done even though they’re easily verified and well known facts just makes you look like a crazy fan.

• Any idiot with sight can see what a fake he is for themselves by watching the show and yes he may have a form of a doctorate but he was never licenced or qualified to prescribe meds! Every episode has a small disclaimer at the bottom of the show prooving most of what this author just said! I am a mental health patient and an ex addict and I can tell you none of my healthcare providers would dare speak to me that way or say any of those things and when they have I reported them to the state! It disnt end well for them! He’s a bad name for real people trying to help others out there and its a shame what he does to those people! God forgive him and his wife

• I am watching an episode right now about a woman who thinks Vladimir Putin is in love with her. I can’t understand why he ( Phil) would have someone like that on his show. This woman needs help. Not to be made fun of and exploited.

Just watch 5 minutes of one of his shows. He’s a dick. A real attention whore.

Everyone enjoy your day!

• I never knew there were others who had similar opinions or sentiments as mine – hallelujah!
            My concerns were so adamant, that I literally felt anxious; after coming across this site during this very restless night of mine, I am so relieved.
            On any given day this guy is an attorney, phsychologist, a banker, a baker, a candle stick maker – he has been doing this for 25, 45, 30, 48 years.
            Go ahead people, expose the narcissistic self righteous bully for the FARCE he is.

• Hi my mom is clinical phsycologist and his practices are illegal. First of all he hasn’t renewed his license since 2006, which makes him actually NOT A DOCTOR. Also, in therapy there is a thing called CONFIDENTIALITY which is EXTREMELY important sooo…. he is exploiting mentally ill people for television. A regular observer can tell. Misling people into believing that this is therapy and what a doctor looks like is abhorrent. Frankly, he disgusts me. Try to take away your bias and look at the facts.

• So, you are saying you would let a surgeon that has no license operate on you just because he can check off all the required boxes on paper? There are many doctors that retain all the information they acquired at some point, but they have lost their license for whatever reason (malpractice, inappropriate behavior, etc). Dr. Phil is claiming to help people with mental health issues, addictions, etc. Do you not think having continued education is important to do those things or is having a popular television show with the title Dr. in it more important? Whether or not Dr. Phil is a licensed psychologist is easy enough to find out, if a person so desires. I do not need to do so because no reputable, sincere doctor needs to get ratings on a talk show in order to help others…period. Dr. Phil, in my opinion, is nothing more than a snake oil salesman that peddles his wares and his family’s wares for a profit. He helps himself only. He uses the misery of others to garner ratings, then discards them like old trash when he is done with them. He should be ashamed of himself, instead he is quite arrogant and self serving. A final thought, why can’t he help his wife with her eating disorder, as she is one of the worst I’ve seen on his show.? You can continue to defend and praise him if you like, but if you need a real doctor at some point, I would look elsewhere.

• I would just like to say that I do agree that Dr Phil even though no longer licensed anymore, yes still retains all of his knowledge as a Doctor. He has a way with getting through to people like no other. He definitely has the intelligence, he can throw it out in a hard ass common sense way with amazing charisma, and an ability to use psychology in a common sense way getting through to people that even if they don’t admit it…. I know, subconsciously Dr. Phil is still hitting it on the nail with them….. however, now I am going to tell you the bad part…. I am actually in the process of being interviewed by Dr. Phil’s staff right now and that’s actually why am looking through all these blogs. I’m not going to go into my story but I’m extremely disappointed and I’ve only always thought extremely highly of Dr. Phil until now. My daughters wrote in about me wanting me to get help. I have been on the phone with his producers every day for the last week it has been the most stressful week of my life practically. It seems like all they want is dirt dirt dirt. The first guy that I talk to was wonderful and was more like a counselor that made me feel really good and agree to come on the show. From that point on all I felt is pressure!! they are asking me to lie they are asking me to switch dates and timeframes to make things seem more extravagant or something??? I’m not really sure? (I shouldn’t say they, it is the one producer Andrea) I let them know that I am not mentally ok and if I gave a wrong date at first that I refuse to go on the show and lie. She said, well that’s what we told Dr Phil so that is what your going to have to say! She also kept trying to get me to say that the reason for my suicidal attempt was for this one specific tragedy in my life that happened and I said but that isn’t why, I let her know it was a build up of that and many other things, and she acted like I didn’t say that and again said well we told Dr Phil….. so that’s what you need to say when you go on the show…….. Also they want me to get more dirt and police reports on someone in my family that I love and do not want to humiliate and hurt, I would honestly rather see get help…. and quit frankly it is public information so why don’t they get it themselves? Just so they can make it sound like I AM THE ONE THROWING HIM UNDER THE BUS TO GET MYSELF HELP??? I’m scared…. I am not like that. I would never intentionally hurt someone else for my own benefit. So what are there intentions?? I have given them plenty of information, that I am already feeling ashamed of. I have to be honest this is turning into something that I now am feeling is going to be more like a shit show, that I’m going to turn down. A week ago for the first time in years I was feeling so much hope…. now I am feeling sick to my stomach and like an idiot for falling for this. My family doesn’t have money, we’ve all rearranged our work schedules because of this. Our jobs rearranged their staff schedules…. we humiliated ourselves saying we were going on the Dr Phil show! We were supposed to fly out today and I was told LAST NIGHT that they switched to a different producer for our show, and they need more police reports and now our show isn’t going to be for a couple more weeks!!

• Dr. Phil is a psychologist not a psychiatrist. He is not considered a medical doctor. He may have a PhD. But is not considered a doctor. He has lost his license. With his education he can go into philosophy or clinical and counseling psychology. He has studied mind and human behaviors. Many of his observations and suggestive therapy is not acceptable by the Association.

• I can’t accept the opinion of somone who can’t spell the word “legit”. You’re not a smart man are you Forrest? What the hell is a “liget”? Fuckiing self righteous dummy.

• Hahaha let’s make fun of a guy who can’t spell . Who the fuck does that fr? Maybe the guy has some kind of learning disability or has some educational issue . I hope that made you guys feel good & put a smile on your faces. Fucking losers.

• Lmao at Krista T about Don Wilson where he’s bitching about someone not being able to spell. Then turn around and spell something wrong themselves.
          I can see both sides of this. Yes, Phil has made money off people, and yes, he HAS pissed off a lot of people. BUT, ask yourself this, how many people has he really helped over the years??
          We all have our bad days and make bad decisions sometimes. He’s only human just like the rest of us. Why do people always go after people when something bad happens but don’t get a pat on the back when they help someone? Like I said, I can see both sides of this. Stop and really think about it. How many has he hurt over the years versus how many has he helped?
          Just voicing my opinion because something bad happened to me once, and I was harassed by people just because of what was put on the news. They didn’t want to hear the truth and some still don’t to this day. I never even got to clear my name for the BS. I just hate to see this happen to someone else because I know how it feels.

• The most sensible response found in this comment section! 👍 Many seem to thrive on kicking others when they are down….AND when they become successful. That is just pitiful. I could NEVER be a follower, which is what it takes in order for topics like this to rise, I pride myself on having the strength and ability to stand against the mass. Hope things turned around for you….I would hate to think the “bad guy” prevailed.

• Marian, I concur with you. Dr Phil tells people exactly what they need to hear. The truth does hurt. Whether his guests accepts his advice depends on if they’re ready to turn their life around. In my opinion, those who are talking smack about Dr. Phil have some serious issues & won’t admit that they do & believe they’re perfectly okay or haters of people who are out there helping those willing to bear their challenges on National TV. I believe Dr. phil has helped hundreds of people over the years his show have been aired. If he was a fake, joke or whatever his. haters have said about bim. He wouldn’t have been on TV all these years. I’m not perfect. I admit that I too have some issues of my own, but I am not gonna air it out on National TV. I know that with every action comes a reaction. Good or bad, I accept the consequences.

• I should’ve proof read my post with my glasses. I spelt him wrong. At least the letter h & b are next to each other. So you spelling haters can comment all you want & what I say to those who do. “Get a fucking life”

• Look in the mirror, you don’t even know how to spell “fucking”… one “I”, not two.
        Now who’s the self-righteous dummy??

• Why Don, do you not mean “fucking self-righteous” dummy? Does this also point to a decrease in YOUR credibility here? 😂 Not to mention there was NOTHING in her statement even close to resembling such….so perhaps you could borrow a dictionary? Maybe?? 😉

• I had the very same reaction to that comment! It’s the same reaction I have to most of the comments posted on today’s message boards. When did the public schools quit teaching not only spelling, but grammar? The all too frequent usage of ”there” as a possessive pronoun is the visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard.

• Sherry you are why the Dr show still survives. Ligit isn’t correct..it’s legit …trailer park trash that continually watch his show while soaking up his garbage is why this show has success…ya know, I’m just being “ligit” about it…not a LIAR!!!!!

• Well, since we’re critiquing spelling and grammar, and the latter includes punctuation, your usage of ellipses (…) is redundant and useless.

• Kim, you’re implying that Sherry resides in a trailer park. Do you know that she does? Do you really believe that Dr Phil’s show is a success is because his followers are “Trailer Trash”. How did you come to that conclusion? News Flash. Not all trailer parks are trashy. Yes, i live in a trailer park, but it’s far from what you think. Columbia River RV Park is a classy & an impressive place to live. There are many six figure motorhomes & dozens of high end 5th wheel trailers, travel trailers as well as the trucks that tows them here. People coming thru here for the first time are awed & spellbound by the size & beauty of the RV’s here. I understand that your belief stems from your experience of what you have seen. I just wanted you to know that not all people who lives in a trailer park are trailer trash. For you to,believe that we are is shallow minded

• I have a friend who worked briefly for Dr. Phil, and these stories are true. And another entire article could be written about how he treats—or rather, mistreats—his staff!

• Watching his show it is clear he has an underlying anger toward women. He belittles women on almost every episode and then backpeddals to try and keep everyone happy. He doesn’t fool me. And when walking out with Robyn, she keeps her eyes down focused most of the time. That’s a sign of low self esteem. He’s a jerk. And he isn’t the only educated, experienced person concerning human interactions. He’s an asshole. Right now he is arguing with hate in his voice toward a young woman. Yep, an asshole. I would make mince meat if his opinions and that’s ALL he has to offer, an opinion.

• Yes! The fact that Robyn is there for every show like she has no life of her own is creepy in itself. And then her domestic violence apps make me think she protesteth too much. I hope I’m wrong but I can’t see any scenario where Phil isn’t massively cruel when the cameras are off. On Halloween, he dressed up as a prisoner with a “ball & chain” sign with Robyn, who dressed as a happy bride.

He has a way of making domestic abuse look like an equal dynamic, as if the victim is equally responsible & the abuser just needs to be “helped through their anger”. He never EVER advises the victim to leave or offers a safe way out. If kids are involved, he lectures the victim about ‘neglect’ instead of focusing on the active abuser or building a case against them in the legal system with the hard evidence presented to him. Total victim-blaming without a workable solution. Sends a terrible message to everyone–men & women alike.

You’re 100% right: he’s a misogynist who hides behind tropes like “you never put your hands on a woman in anger” & thinks he’s pulling one over on us.

• I dont know where this is coming from. I watch Dr. Phil and I dont see him laughing and humiliating mentally ill people. It seems to me he does his best to help. He gave a patient a job, not okay, but not the crime of the century.

• He had a sexual relationship with a patient ( patient then employee after they had entered the relationship )when he was practicing and was forced to jump through hurdles to regain his rights to practice in CA. He did not follow through with said hurdle jumping. He picks sides and allows illegal activity ( slander/death threats/blackmail ) to occur and be televised…. hes actually ( if he went to a practicing psychologist ) a sociopath with severe control tendencies and a narcissistic/grandiose idea of what hes actually doing.

• I feel like this is literally Dr. Phil himself responding to this article with how dumb you sound. Wake up and smell the bullshit sweetheart. This man needs to be stopped, profiting off of others for their own issues and acting like a god attempting to martyr each situation (that he basically creates himself) is fucking disgusting. I’m planning on doing more and more research into the nasty narratives he creates. TIME IS UP PHIL. WATCH OUT.

• Man you show how easily people are manipulated into believing this guy cares…its so obvious to anyone in the mental health field that he does more harm than good. Your comments are undeserved and a show of ignorance.

• “Dr.” Phil IS Not a license doctor legally. Haven’t you noticed he always has some other doctor “provide ” the help to the patient? For all I know Mr. Phil could be the sweetest man in the world. But one has to admit the facts are the facts! And if nothing else his actions are nothing short of questional.

• Dr Phil is not a medical doctor and never said he was. Only a medical doctor can prescribe meds such as a psychiatrist. Dr. Phil is a psychologist.

• This fake brags about his ability to help people and encourages his audience to lambast them. What an ahole. He’s not only arrogant but a narcissist too. PuLl you head out of the sand snowflake. Lj

2. Dr. Phil reminds us on his show that the notion that we should give other people the “benefit of the doubt” is outdated and naive. I am a big fan of Dr. Phil’s but I only know him by what’s portrayed on his show. The suggestion of ethical misconduct is not without merit. I am familiar with the episodes featuring the guests that are described and I have to admit that “anything is possible.” But I for one will be crushed if allegations are proven and made public.

3. Dr. Phil can not take it if any guest on his show has a voice or questions what he is saying. He expects everyone to sit down and shut up and take what he is saying without question. If someone is seeking to get better, no matter what issue they have, there is nothing wrong with asking questions about the advice being given, in fact, they should ask questions if need be. The woman on the show on April 19, 2019
    “I Treat My Pet Pigs Better Than My Noisy-Eating Fiancé” was trying to explain herself in a very civil way and Dr. Phil kept making her into a villain while also encouraging the audience to side with him…watch his facial expressions. I can’t imagine making a client who has come to me asking for help feel bad, they are there for help, so maybe try focusing on that. He also shamelessly plugs his wife’s skin care line, who is so full of injectibles, it’s hard to believe her products work.

• I thought the same thing (4/19/2019) as he treated that woman with no respect but only venom. I will not be watching Dr. Phil anymore. It is not only sickening but don’t think there is any room for more commercials, podcasts, Dr. on Demand, The P and P Center, Skincare by his wife, His book, and now stuck on the lifecoach of Demi Lavado who just relapsed and almost died?? He is on almost every other day. He treats his guests terrible and seems to always challenge them lately with all of his credentials while lecturing them. “I have been doing this for 40 years”… as he ( I have noticed especially lately), name drops all of the celebrities he is “good” friends with. Now he has that stupid Podcast! He is so rude! Too bad he can’t get back to the basics although I think at this point..way too late. Former viewer!

• I always loved dr phil amd his show but o too have become aware of how he treats people sometimes and i have never herd of any of the things i Are you at in this article today but I’m going to try to do some research and find out if he done all of these things starting with the first one heaven being accused of sexual misconduct and I don’t wanna have anything to do with him but I don’t believe in those psychics I do believe that they are frauds and I always wonder why he had them on. Its a shame he is like the doctors show Are used to watch them because they seem so smart and then every time I turn on the damn TV one of them bastards is trying to sell some bullshit product so the doctors show is bullshit also everyone on here on TV is all for sales they trying to promote products and i cant trust anyone trying to sell me something for they are all for self gain

4. I‘ve gone from watching every episode per season, when he started in 2002 to only watching 5 episodes of his 2016-2017 season, and haven‘t watched a single episode in two years. As for exploiting guests, his staff actually put an alcoholic guest in a hotel room with a minibar! “Dr” Phil is nothing but an exploitative ratings-whore

• I have stopped watching and was so sick of his eye rolling and negative ! And all the pushing of his wife and son, Jay’s products or companies!!! He’s abusive and abrasive and trys to justify it by, “getting” real. He’s just not someone I would want helping me or any person I even know! I just don’t know why so many of his followers don’t see him for what he is!!! I say stop drinking the koolaid folks. But then again, “I might just be a good ole country girl!!!”

• I totally agree with you with you. I can’t even recall his other son’s name.It’s always my son Jay’s company.. Me and my son Jay.. Or Robin’s skin care line .. Now Phil and Robin have podcasts.. My God the show is only about 15 minutes after all the bullshit plugs they push.. How can Robin now so much about skin care?? Is she a dermatologist??? No she just wants to sell her product!!!!! And coach Mike Bauer pushing his book!!!! Is is available on Jay’s publishing company?? Or Jay’s baby products or Jay’s food line or Phil and Jay’s show “Bull”. I don’t hear that much about Jordan!!!! Hopefully he escaped and didn’t drink the Dr. Phil kool-aid.. Now it’s Phil and Jay’s show Daily Mail!!! When is enough,enough..????? And Robin looks like she is anorexic .. Why doesn’t he treat her???? I’ve noticed that her face looks like shit when they do a close-up .. They try to show her more from a distance.. I’m sure that she paid a lot for her face to look like it does!!!!!! She looks ill being as skinny as she is!! It doesn’t look good!!! I don’t understand how Phil “I don’t want to give him the false title of Dr.” is on this long!!! I just watched the episode with Todd Hertzog from survivor and it was pitiful watching them carry him out!!! How can that be right!!! How can he make decisions if he is smashed?? I feel so badly for him!! How is he going to feel when he sobers up and watches himself??? Is he going to drink again after seeing it??? I would!!! He was embarrassed on national television!!! How is that in itself not a trigger????? Please, everyone stop watching the train wrecks he brings on his show!!! He has enough money to live 5 lifetimes..!! Stop feeding into his bullshit!!!!!!

5. And why doesn’t he look his guests in the eye when he’s telling them what’s wrong with them and what they need to do about it? I was always told you can’t trust a person that won’t look you in the eye when they’re talking to you.

• I wonder the same thing!. He stares at the floor and gropes for words which is annoying and makes me wonder if the teleprompter is there on the floor. And the most amazing thing is the hundreds of commercials that fill up his show. No time for real content, only ads. Every 40 seconds he us saying we’ll be right back or “right after the break” IRRITATING TO THE MAX!

• HMcGraw’s dismissively looking away from his guests, especially at his own feet is bad enough, but even more egregriously disrespectful is how he rarely lets them answer the questions he asks. My hearing and listening comprehension are good enough (apparently his isn’t) to know from the few words the guests manage to get out before he butts in with his false accusations of not answering the question that he WAS answering it! It makes me suspect that he wants his quests to follow a script know only to him and cuts them of when they don’t. I want to hear what his guests have to say. If I wanted to hear him doing all the talking, I’d check one of his audiobooks out of the library.

• I agree he’s a fraud let me start with that. But on the eye contact thing, some people just have a very difficult time looking other people in the eyes, especially if they have social anxiety (which I know he clearly doesn’t) or some other metal health issue. Some people also just feel very uncomfortable with eye contact and feel vulnerable when making it during stressful conversations. More so what I’m getting at is don’t distrust people in general (not including Dr.Phil) if they don’t make eye contact when talking to you because there may be an underlying issue. Just food for thought ☺️ But yeah Dr. Phil is a scam and needs to be exposed for it and if he’s not I hope everyone can find some sort of closure in the end.

• I agree with you on that!!! Never trust any one who can’t look at you when they are talking to you!! That is a pet peeve of mine!!! What’s worse is that he looks in the camera!!!

6. I googled “Does Dr Phil really help people ? “ And got this site. I’ve watched every episode (yes, really!) and recently, have begun to wonder about the results. Perhaps some are helped post show and that is a good thing.

7. I wrote to Dr. Phil about the disorder misophonia that I know I suffer from and actually got a response but I didnt end up responding bcuz I watched an episode where this woman felt she had it too and he was suck a dick about it. I personally get very emotional when I talk about my disorder bcuz it has made my life so horrible and I wouldve died if I went on to be treated the way she was. I mean she was sort of a bitch about it and acted as if it was everyone else that just ate gross or made weird noises so I can see why he was a dick but I’m not like that at all. I feel bad for my family having to deal with me that i try so hard to just suck it up and a part of me feels Dr.Phil is only an ass if the person is acting all high and mighty BUT unfortunately I’m not a 100% sure he wouldnt be an ass to me and its not worth the risk to find out.

8. Just watched him for the last time. An episode on people who fall prey to romance scams. Then he has a sponsor saying all her years of knee pain went away with a topical ointment. Then he put a middle aged guest on that is self conscious of the bags, wrinkles, and sagging jaw line. So he invites a salesman for No.7 craftily saying the guest will see a noticeable difference in one week. While the salesman never said her wrinkles and jowls would go away, she cleverly and intentionally misled her. Not ethical especially after the theme of watching out for scams. Why is he using his audience to sell products? Why does his show only have 8minutes of subject matter, and 52 minutes of advertising, and repeated parts? Why don’t more people kick him to the curb? Because he lures you in with sensational exploitive personal situations. The guests are victims and so are we! Duped in the name of entertainment

• McGraw is as sick as the guests on his show!
      Watching him enable that 28 yr old crazy daughter and attack the Mother tells all!
      I guess its ok to physically attack her mother
      You idiot McGraw, you are exactly what you accuse your guests of Smug. Narcisistic. cocky sarcastic attitude!
      Get over yourself McGraw, you are not even qualified to give advice!!

• I just watched that episode. Horrible. We all love our children. And I don’t think the mom did anything out of the norm. We all try and help our kids. She did not deserve that treatment. And her face told it all that she knew that too.

• Yes! He was horrible to the mother! Treated her like a total asshole and dismissed everything she was saying. Even made little quips to get the audience to laugh at her. It pissed me off so much that I actually gave the finger to my TV while he was talking. Despicable. I just posted a comment about this episode before seeing your comment. I’m glad I’m not alone in feeling this way!

9. After watching today and saying,” This is the absolute last time I will EVER watch this garbage”, I come across this article. I was looking because I thought maybe it was just me! How does this show stay on???

• The same way Povich, Springer and Wilkos stayed on the air, by catering to the demographic that feasts on this exploitative rubbish.

10. His wife is Anorexic. They both make me sick.
    Wonder how the children react to him?

• I know Robin looks terrible and remember the cameras put on 5 lbs. She is false also. It looks like she has had plastic surgery. I don’t think there is anything wrong with plastic surgery l. But my problem is that she acts like she takes care of her skin and that she would never do surgery! She use to be pretty. You can recover the years that she was not happy with her looks!

11. Dear Dr. Phil,

I’m writing you because my mother is addicted to your television program and doesn’t realize that you are a wolf in sheep’s clothing… That you’ve pulled the wool over her eyes by manipulating her like so many into believing that the nonsense you shove down their throats is informative and helpful.

She believes you are a saint and doesn’t notice that you are just preying on her with your garbage peddling infomercials that serve only to make you, your wife, your friends and your network money.

Let’s face it, your only expertise is exploitation. Your only goal is to capitalize on the messed up, ill-minded, and/or naive masses. It’s a fantastic con, you are obviously super successful you remind me a lot of another egomaniac, our sitting President Donald Trump the biggest difference being that he’s more honest. How incredibly sad is that?

• Very well said! To me one thing and one thing alone confirms that what I have heard and read negative about Dr. Phil is accurate. That is his superior, “I am never wrong” attitude. I don’t care how educated, famous or rich you are. NO ONE is always right. Has anyone here? Anyone anywhere? Ever heard Dr. Phil admit he was wrong publicaly? Or even seen it in print? Of course by saying so he puts himself at risk for being sued. But even so no humility. I really think he believes with his whole heart that he is never wrong! He looks down his nose at everyone unless it does not benefit his ego or his bottom line. This alone tells me everything I need to know about him.

• Joel Burgard: Although I do not agree with your Trump comparison (Dr. Phil is a fraud on to himself) what you said about Dr. Phil is very well said and I thank you.

12. Did you really just use the Kaden Mahaffa episode as a way to help prove your point about Dr.Phil? That lady is a con artist, and is brainwashing her boyfriend.

For people that don’t know the story, it basically goes like this:

Kaden claims to have died 7 times, and after she died in 2002, she came back to life and woke up with psychic abilities. She claims to have came back from the dead being able to speak French, and read ancient texts. She also claims to have x-ray vision, can see broken bones, and previous broken bones, in people, can see footsteps from other people, and can see spirits. She can bend metal, and can hear people’s thoughts before they speak them. She claims to be a retired ICU nurse, and a counselor.

Because of all these things, she decided to write a book, and start a project called “Mama Trauma.”

One day, she put an add on Craigslist for people to help her move. Matthew (her now boyfriend) was one of the guys that showed up. I don’t know how they began their relationship, but this is how they met.

Sometime after they started dating, she convinced Matthew that she was psychic and could see all these things, and then convinced him that he was molested by several people when he was a young boy. She then diagnosed him with what she claims as a disorder that she created called, “Homie In the House Of Mirrors Executive Syndrome.” She claims that this disorder manifests in a suicide attempt, and that people with this disorder are granted savant abilities.

When Kaden met Matthew’s mom and grandma, she told them all about the issues she discovered that Matthew has using her psychic powers, and how Matthew was molested as a child, and how she’s treating him for his conditions since she’s a counselor. The mom and grandma got suspicious about her claims, and started asking questions about her certifications as a counselor. Kaden got upset and started threatening them, and out of nowhere, Kaden and Matthew packed up an RV and left the state.

Kaden doesn’t let Matthew speak to his family, because Kaden made him believe that the grandma and mom are abusive to him, and don’t care about him; mainly because they don’t believe in her powers and the stuff she claims, and because the family won’t send them money. She tells the mom to send them money, but when the mom refuses because Matthew is an adult and is perfectly healthy to work, Kaden starts threatening the family. She even told his mom to go commit suicide. Kaden then makes Matthew panhandle for money, and takes pictures of him doing it so she can send them to his mom. She also claims to speak to Matthew’s deceased grandpa, and claims that he loves her, and is guiding her.

The reason why Dr. Phil questioned her even though the family is there to help Matthew is because Dr. Phil is trying to find out if there really is something wrong with Matthew, or if Kaden is making all this up because she’s mentally unhealthy. When everything that the boyfriend says is wrong with him, is coming from what the girlfriend is telling him, then he’s, Dr. Phil is going question her. When she claims to have all these credentials in the mental health field and have psychic powers, he’s going to find out if she’s legit or a fake. The episode flipped from the boyfriend to her, because the problem isn’t the boyfriend; it’s the girlfriend. Dr. Phil also gave her every opportunity to prove that she is actually legit, but she couldn’t prove anything.

The truth is, Kaden found somebody that believed all the stuff she was talking about, so she wanted to keep him to herself so she could practice all her stuff on him. He was her science experiment, and almost like her personal slave, and she was his master, so she didn’t want to lose him.

This show was about helping Matthew, and the only way to get him help was to expose Kaden as being a fake and a fraud. Kaden was destroying his life, and he needed to get away from her ASAP. She is no different than all these people that say they have a cure for cancer, and then scam a desperate victim out of all their money.

Anyone can prove me wrong if they want.

And yes, she does need help, but she’s not the victim. Lastly, Dr. Phil didn’t force her to go on his show.

• Ok cool but dr.phill is still in the wrong about everything else and if you disagree your just a fan boy who cant see the truth

• That is ridiculous to say someone is a fan boy (or fan girl) because they have a differing viewpoint. Probably the most close minded comment I ever heard. If you disagree with me…who cares.

13. Dr.Plil was my favorite show. I started feeling that the way he would be looking at the floor or the bottom of the chair that his guest we’re sitting in, but not looking them in the eyes when he is addressing the advice he’s giving them.
    I thought this was not right.
    As I was looking at my phone this morning, wow, Dr.Phil was all over my news alerts . Started reading it, and ended up saying what all of your comments are saying.
    I just can’t believe it.
    Opera must be proud of his progress, NOT!! IF it wasn’t for her I wonder where he would be today?

• Opera (sic) and Phil had a little war of rights before he found his was and then they buried the hatchet. Now he’s on her OWN channel. Its all show business. Money is only thing that matters. She doesn’t care, i doubt.

• Who the heck is “Opera”? Last I new Opera was a story sung in Italian. If your IQ can’t handle watching “Dr. Phil Show” try Sesame Street. Otherwise, you might look it up… “Oprah Winfrey” actually discovered Dr. Phil Mcgraw! I can only imagine how many individuals & families have been helped by his show. God bless him for helping so many people.

• If anyone is helped by the Dr. Phil show, it’s not because of his efforts or expertise, it’s a by product of the show itself. Dr. Phil, and I use that title very loosely, only helps himself, his family and his network. He exploits and humiliates his guests, he panders to celebrities and audiences, he peddles his useless items, and he belittles anyone that dares to question his genius level intelligence! His eye rolling arrogance is beyond infuriating! My all time favorite is how he will use his condescending comments to garner laughs and snickers from the audience, then when the guest says they don’t appreciate being laughed at by everyone, he then says they aren’t laughing at you, they are just concerned and don’t know what else to do. Really?!

14. I personally enjoy watching his show. It’s Television people! Entertainment like the rest of today’s crap television. Don’t like him, turn the channel and watch the fake news!

• While the only reason I usually watch a nationally syndicated talk show is to rip the idiocy ,It’s a comedic gold mine and I’m entertained as hell .but while I get this many don’t and that’s the danger .hes charming ,can have quick wit and great one liners and has a knack for slapping down morons that need a slap so it can seem legit at times .Not long ago he had a woman on that was a supposed ADDERALL ADDICT ,now this is a push to drum up the good ol days of opiate pushing doctors and the crashing wrecks paitients become ,As a former abuser of opiates and eventually dope thanks to our national antidote of banning things that never once had a positive result ,I have had a very successful recovery and since the day I stopped I not once considered a slip,so I’m a certain type of addict that fell into a dark hole ,I was in treatment and a lot of my issues came from my undiagnosed ADHD (that I was aware of but never addressed)when I took adderall it took a bit to get the right dose but once I did ,I felt like I was putting on glasses after a life of blurry vision ,NOT ONCE WOULD HE ACKNOWLEDGE THERE IS ANY SUCCESSFUL ADDERALL MEDICATED PAITENTS EVEN WHEN HE WAS ASKED FLAT OUT HE LOOKED DOWN AND MADE A WISE REMARK,ALL THIS WAS SOOO OBVIOUS A PLOY TO DRUM UP A NEW CRISIS TO RIDE FOR A BIT .ADDERALL CAN BE DANGEROUS PEOPLE ABUSE IT THEY DRINK HAIRSPRAY TOO ..and he acted as if that is as good for u as adderall .I. Have the second most dangerous trade as my sole employment and I don’t know why I was not killed in my 30 years of work I had near misses a few times a week bc I was going 1000mph after a few weeks I didn’t even come close the world slowed down and I was amazed at how stupid I was to not address this before .Now my wife sees this show and the person took a similar dose as me ,adderall is difficult to pinpoint dose as everyone is different,plus I’m larger than the woman but I could Feel my wife thinking HERE WE GO AGAIn bc THE WISE PHIL SAID NOBODY SHOULD TAKE 40 mgs a day ,they will be speed freaks and it’s like cocaine …that’s when I knew he was not only a quack but clueless as to what dosing people responded to or he knows and is flaming a fire to stigmatize adderall users that see legit doctors or not bc that’s some humorous T. V SHOWING A WOMAN TWEAKING WITH A PUPPET ,this woman was manic to a dangerous degree and he didn’t touch that at all or she was acting bc In three min he got her to go from ,I’m ok to YES YES I NEED HELP…..well any addict out there knows we don’t give up that easy not even close I. Fact I’d avoid his show like it was a fire bc if I was on dope again my brain made damn sure I won’t expose myself to anyone let alone the world .I had this creepy feeling it was staged from the start;I’m not sure it’s my gut and my knowledge of how addicts do things and no addict would make a clown of herself and rattle pills and dance on tv then deny ..no she would prob skip a dose or two even out to prove she’s good I’m positive of this I know many many addicts and spent years as one .But now my wife is definitely nervous and believed the whole SPRINGER STYLE SHOW .and a few years ago I would have said ,oh really fine I’m dumping therapy and meds bc I’m sick of being judged by my meds ,and who knows where that goes for me but I know that the end would be ugly so yeah I turn it off but damage done,and my wife is still watching her wise PHIL ….thanks Ophra as he is one of her kings she created from her crazy cult like talk show …don’t belive tv or any media do your own research on anything that is going on with you ,I know the answers to questions I ask drs now bc I trust no one till it’s earned and it’s not rocket science to educate yourself on a script your given it is very possible you save your own life ..FUCK PHIL JUST AS BAD AS A DEALER

15. I I don’t know what’s true and what’s not but I don’t watch the show anymore and haven’t for over 4 years. The reason I don’t watch the show is because of the way he treats his guests and the way he promotes himself and his products and his books over and over again. Everything that he is involved in is promoted on that show. On today’s show it was mixes for drinks that his son along with some other people are selling. I just couldn’t believe it, I don’t watch the show I just happened to wake up and it was on the TV and I was too tired to look for the remote. It was nothing but a 10-minute advertisement.

16. Excellent article. I just watched an episode where a mother is trying to get help for her 28-year-old daughter who lives with her and she suspects that she has a serious mental illness. The mother, in obvious anguish and pain, tries to convey what her daughter says and does on a daily basis, and Dr. Phil was SO condescending towards her and treated her like a total asshole. It just bothered me so much, that’s how I found this article. This dude needs a serious reality check and his show needs to be taken off the air. Will that ever happen? Doubt it! It’s all about $$$, nothing more.

17. Today, Phil explained that “innocent people don’t confess to crimes they didn’t commit! You see it on TV all the time but it just doesn’t happen in real life!”

I have three simple words for the good “Doctor”:

Central Park Five

18. I applied to be a guest on his show and then I read on about his exploitation of guess and his behavior towards staff members I realize if you don’t have a license to practice medicine isn’t that against the law? My question is how can that be? I also read he makes $80 million dollars a year. I don’t believe anybody in the medical profession make that kind of money especially an unlicensed

practitioner.

• He has a PhD which is a “Doctorate” degree, and while some people will use the Doctorate title and call him Dr Phil, he is not a medical doctor. He can not prescribe medications as a psychologist.
      Pharmacists now are required to get a doctorate in Pharmacy, but I will not call my pharmacist “Dr Smith”. PharmD’s also can not prescribe medications.
      Remember who got Dr Phil and Dr Oz their start on tv… Oprah Winfrey. Enough said.

19. I just love Dr. Phil! He is like a saint in my eyes! The only one better that has ever walked this earth is Our Lord and Savior! And oh, what it must be like for Robin to married to him! She must just be in total awe of him each and every day! And his sons must feel like the luckiest kids that ever lived to have such a wonderful father! God Bless you and Thank God for all that you do Dr. Phil!

20. He is a complete charlatan. He “voluntarily” surrendered his license in 2006 is “board speak” that means he was not given a choice or he would face prosecution and board sanctions. As a physician, I am appalled that anyone would take advice from him. He is not licensed (for 13 years) and I see him as protected by the almighty “Oprah”. He should be ousted. He claims his show is entertainment only, but he’s practicing without a license and the California libs that love money are allowing it and turning their face away from a grievous wrong.

21. You people are so stupid. A doctorate in Psychology is called “doctor” Yes, it is real. I have a doctorate in psychology, am not licenced because I don’t treat patients. But I still have the title of “doctor”. That is NOT a fake doctor.
    The licensing is an entirely different topic. You need a licence to treat patients, but what Dr Phil does is considered entertainment.
    As for his manipulation, as a psychologist I have not been offended by his “so-called” mistakes. He does his best but the guests bear much of the responsibility. If only he could have perfect guests, but that would have to be scripted. Maybe you’all would like that better.
    In the meantime, get your facts straight, Dr Wells.

• Sorry I’m not really replying to your post but didn’t see how to make my own . Anyways I don’t watch Dr. Phil & honestly don’t care what the hell the guy does. His show is for entertainment, he is not treating people or anything like that . He is there to entertain the millions of ppl who watch his show & that’s it . You have to sign a waiver when you go on that basically states this & now after shit comes back on ppl they want to start crying & blame Dr Phil for ruining the lives they’re already ruining before they met him. They did reach out for a reason , it’s not like they were all doing great with perfect lives then met him & it’s complete hell for them now. Bottom line is Dr. Phil owes nobody so much as a explanation about anything & these ppl need to use their heads & realize his show provides entertainment & is not any kind of treatment or whatever for their self made issues.

• Absolutely. Thanks for clearing that up. Licensing is not required to be dubbed doctor if you have a doctorate. I’m surprised to see that too. However, I still think he’s no better than Jerry springer and his show is a disgrace to the helping profession. He does little to help and despite all the claims of follow up…. Well, I personally doubt it. Any show who has the wife of the host and other family members hawking their products rubs me the wrong way. Also, allowing his wife get up and claim, HUNGRR HURTS MORE DURING THE HOLIDAYS, is way beyond what I can stomach.

22. Dr.Phil is no more then a Jerry springer, just less tits and dumb shit that comes out of his mouth, and is just piggy backing off the gullible ones that seek help, sorry to break your hearts.

23. Great article. But there is so much MORE.

The “wilderness retreats” he sends the rebellious kids to are rampant with abuse of all kinds; he talks down to addicts like he’s some kind of God (he’s not even an addiction specialist!); he makes patently false claims about marijuana causing violence/brain damage/low IQ.

Every episode contains a mini-infomercial for some unrelated product his family is pushing. He sells weight loss books when he’s a Type II diabetic in the overweight/obese range himself. He cheated on his first wife & told her it was “just a part of life” while acting like the perfect husband. He “campaigns against online bullying” while grabbing a majority of his topics straight from forums like Kiwi Farms & Reddit, the former of which literally exists to bully people & dox them.

…and that’s just scratching the surface. His show is one of my VERY guilty pleasures, but I have no illusions about how awful he is. We’re all gonna look back on this show in a few decades as a horrific abuse of power/trust. It’s worse than Jerry Springer by every measure.

24. I cannot believe that Phil tells Rae Nov 25th 2019 that “ She is not important”!She has been through much sadness as a child!! Unbelievable!!! I thought you were there to help not put them down!! Sick Phil and shame on you!!!’😡

25. Pay special attention to his eyes he is receiving cues and being told what to say through his ear piece. He looks to the camera on his left a lot, at the chair legs or the floor. A real psychologist would never have consented to put half of his guests on stage to start with. Some victims he will put on stage and show their face while others he will point out that he doesn’t put victims in that very situation. He always goes with bandwagon views. He knows what the popular opinion is and he wants to be popular. He always persequtes the teenage boy and forfeits the fact that he is speaking with a CHILD. He found that making quips makes the viewers laugh so he increases this. He found that having outbursts of ‘putting a guest in their place’ developed strong backing from viewers, so he does it on every show. He is an entertainer and does his job very well at all costs. He did not do 1 thing wrong. He did many things wrong and somehow keeps them low profile. He is a forensics specialist in one show and in the next he may be a family court specialist. Pay attention folks. I probably mispelled and had a few run on sentences, etc. I apologise, what can I say, I’m a dislexic writer and we all know that writers are notorious mispellers.

26. Has the show ever done ANY follow-up to see if any of his referrals to friends, treatment centers, ever actually helped a single guests or is he just a shill for these treatment centers?

Is not follow up the true measure of helping or not helping guests from the show?

27. Phil McGraw is a self righteous pompous ass and if people can’t see that then they are the very people who believe he can help them. He drags out an hour show talking about stuff that is just plain bullshit and in the end, as in the case of drug or alcohol addiction, offers to place the person in rehab. I can’t believe that I heard his wife say, on December 19, 2019, HUNGER HURTS MORE DURING THE HOLIDAYS. If that isn’t the most idiotic statement, then I can’t imagine what could be more idiotic. Indicative of where their heads are. Our society is so screwed up that this show is another reminder of our sorry human existence.

28. If Phil is the cure for what ails the human condition then we all should just shoot ourselves. What a liar and a fraud. He makes me dislike Oprah for promoting him. What a toad. His wife is no better. He has done more harm than good

29. Dr. Phill is so full of shit. He’s got my mom brainwashed into kissing his sorry ass. I wish he would go away. He’s hogging our oxygen and needs to give it back. I can’t believe people see this parasite as a hero.

30. This guy turned into the biggest marketing tool for his self, his family and friends. Years ago it was a fairly decent program. Watch it today if you have the stomach to do so. What he does with his guess is abhorrent. I’m surprised that the guess, which in many cases already have problems, walk out of that studio in one piece. This is not intervention. It’s making public people’s problems and airing their dirty laundry so he can make money. That’s what he knows how to do. Ratings. It’s all about ratings.

31. I went on the Dr. Phil show. I have PTSD but didn’t know it yet. I basically had a mental breakdown the entire time. The staff lied to me, used me, took advantage of me to get me to say things in my interview. They told me the episode was going to be about my mental illness and abuse. Instead it was about humiliating me on national tv and my family played right into it. they literally cut a portion of my episode to make it seem like I had been sobbing and then immediately not sobbing. It was traumatizing. I’ve never experienced worse bullying in my life. The episode went around social media and everyone I ever knew saw it. I could say so much more. I fucking hate his show. And nobody ever understands why.

• Hi, It’s my first time commenting here~
      My heart goes out to you! You are already brave to seek treatment! I have greatest empathy for you.

He is NOT providing therapy. The fact that he labels himself as entertainer instead of ‘providing therapy’ speaks volumes. He tries to escape any responsibility. Real psychotherapy, to my understanding, is a one-to-one thing and consists of weeks of appointment to build understanding, rapport and trust, not a 40 min show. You are also allowed to disagree with the psychologist with respect. (I am always interested in psychology and took an introductory to psychology elective in my university.) So I watched him when stumbled on youtube clips. I have only known him for two days (I not in US) and one episodes led me to search ‘is dr phil appropriate’.

Here is a video I watched by Dr. Todd Grande, Associate professor of College of Social and Behavioral Sciences of a university in England (still not a psychologist) says about the show… It’s the first video I watched from him and I like his attitude. He says he tries his best to be fair. https://youtu.be/qSSXSYV7cFQ with conclutions at 5:50-6:10, then went on to pros and cons and final conclusion in last few mins.
      And also I know medical practitioners (family doctors who can prescribe medications), their No. 1 most important ethic is DO NO HARM by Hippocratic Oath.

Here is a follow-up article of this article https://vclive.miscellanynews.org/2019/07/07/a-man-beyond-morals-how-i-came-to-hate-dr-phil/

Again, I reiterate that it is the show, not you. If you can, find a real psychotherapist (I haven’t seen a therapist so I can’t speak much) :) I sometimes have anxiety, and find meditation and self-acceptance helps :) It’s okay to be not okay :)

• Thanks for your reply. I found this article again just to check and see if anyone had said anything. I’m very interested in the video you linked and will be checking all of that out. I would never recommend anyone going on the show. They did set me up with a therapist that’s been paid for indefinitely and it s helped me more than I can even express but it’s really got nothing to do with Phil. I saw him for yes only 40min and he only knew about me what he had heard about me. The show was a disaster. Thank you again for this response it was very kind of you.

• I would like to add that I sometime experience social anxiety because I was gossiped about behind my back (well but I heard them) by my peers for 6 years. It’s hard. So what I want to say is we can’t control our environment, there are these people out there with judgement. What they think about you isn’t always right: they are not God or anyone. They just don’t know what we have been through. :) Not all people are the same so you might find loving people and not-so-friendly people.

32. Phil McGraw’s behavior on the Dr. Phil show brazenly, appallingly showcases a Narcissists’ self in the manner of a bull in full rut. It’s injudiciously exploitive to the vulnerabilities of mankind.
    Audience members sit perched gobbling the pathetic story lines with supportive clapping and laughter, lauding this unscrupulous and sanctimonious jerks’ methods. He props himself as a king disemboweling his unwitting guests in a ring of fire that few have the fortitude to prevail against. They sit, like deer in headlights, with the details of their disparaged lives being further shredded while the number one ‘right finder’ in all of America satiates himself to a wrongly found oblivious high! Hey folks ..ADDICT COME TO MIND!? Addicted to the spotlight at any cost, in my opinion! The twists, he seemingly adds, to many-a-stated history casts shadows where none appear to be. He points and lays blame at the feet of those trying their best and giving their all. These are people at their wits end, reaching out for help and risking much to go public for it, in support of their loved ones.
    I watch… and feel for his guests. I sit in my own seat wishing there was a genuine way to receive support for troubling circumstances in a family without creating the need for intensive therapy by the means I chose as help! I feel the shows methods are trickery used by a story telling craftsmen practicing his art.
    And there you have it.. my disgusted opinion.