Four Hudson Valley wonders promise springtime splendor

Courtesy of weskaniaphotography via Flickr (Orange Country Arboretum).

After our recent two weeks away from the work and bustle of school, the end of the semester is quickly approaching. With just over six weeks left of classes, summer seems so close and yet so far. As we enter April in just one week, the weather will start to get warmer, birds will resume chirping and flowers will begin to bloom.

The Hudson Valley has a lot to offer in the spring. As the bitter cold departs until next winter, the spring season is a great time to get outside, enjoy time with friends and take in the beauty that New York State has to offer.

I have compiled a list of places to explore in order to enjoy springtime in the scenic Hudson Valley. All locations feature beautiful, well-manicured gardens within a reasonable drive off campus. Find a group of friends, make a plan and head beyond the borders of campus to enjoy New York’s finest flowers.

Stonecrop Gardens

81 Stonecrop Lane, Cold Spring, NY 10516

Take a drive away from our typical academic environs to meander through the majestic gardens offered by Stonecrop Gardens in Cold Spring, New York. Once a private estate, Stonecrop Gardens is now open to the public beginning in April through the end of October. A sprawling 12 acres of land featuring English-style gardens, stone beds and water gardens is the perfect way to spend a spring day. After just a quick half an hour ride off campus, you can spend an afternoon enjoying the landscape.

Mohonk Mountain House

1000 Mountain Rest Road, New Paltz, NY 12561

Just across the river from Vassar, the Mohonk Mountain House offers picturesque views and stunning gardens that pop with color. The gardens are inspired by mid-19th century Italian, French and English landscapes. This marvelous locale is just a short 30-minute drive off campus. Bring a picnic and enjoy the spring flowers and beautiful weather while overlooking the resort. Also, take time to enjoy the many hiking trails around the property.

Orange County Arboretum

211 NY-416, Montgomery, NY 12549

The 35-acre property features gardens dazzling with over 35,000 tulips in the spring. These flower beds do not disappoint, and they are just over 45 minutes from campus by car. The gardens are open to the public and free to view. Enjoy paved pathways to wander between gardens, observe water sculptures and contemplate a serenity only the outdoors can bring. On the drive there, note the breathtaking views and rolling hills of the Hudson Valley.

Boscobel House and Gardens

1601 NY-9D, Garrison, NY 10524

Enjoy 45 acres of beautiful landscape set on the Hudson River. Overlooking West Point, Boscobel House and Gardens features a rose garden. The geometrical design—a formal, English wheel pattern—the symmetry of these gardens lend serenity. Boscobel House and Gardens is open starting in mid-April. Travel just over a half an hour off of campus, bring a group of friends as well as a snack and spend the afternoon outside in the sunshine and fresh air.