Sports Roundup: Oct. 31

Field Hockey

Vassar 5, St. Lawrence 2 Vassar 2. Skidmore 1

Vassar got back on track over the second weekend of October Break, defeating St. Lawrence and Skidmore. Against St. Lawrence, Vassar dominated, culminating in a 5-2 victory. While they only managed one goal in the first half, they turned it on after the break, scoring three times in the third to put the game out of reach. Skidmore put up more of a fight against the No. 14 Brewers, as Vassar scored two early goals then relied on defense to see out a 2-1 victory, giving their Liberty League opponents their first loss of the season.

Women’s Volleyball

Vassar College 3, Union 2

Women’s volleyball triumphed over Union last Friday in an intense back-and-forth. Across the first four sets, the teams traded comfortable victories, as the teams alternated in taking sets by margins of at least six points. However, in the final, winner-take-all frame, things heated up in the Kenyon Gym. Union took Vassar to the edge of defeat, with a 15-14 lead, meaning a mere single point spelled victory for the visitors. But Vassar rallied back, winning three straight points to finish the match 17-14.

Women’s Rugby

October Break Doubleheader

Courtesy of Tiffany Trumble

Vassar took home two victories in their return from October Break on Sunday, one in their usual dominant fashion and one in a much closer affair. It was business as usual for the reigning NCAA champion Brewers against SUNY New Paltz in the Tri-State quarterfinal, pounding the Hawks into the muddy turf in a 36-5 rout. Against non-conference foe Princeton however, the Brewers had a tougher time, giving up five tries in the second half alone after originally taking a 29-7 lead. In the end the Brewers just barely held on to their undefeated record, as the game finished 44-43.

Men’s Soccer

Vassar College 1, No. 22 Ithaca 0

Men’s soccer certainly enjoyed their break, as they pulled off a heroic upset over No. 22 Ithaca. Despite being presumed underdogs against their ranked opponents, Vassar held their own throughout the contest, outshooting the Bombers 11 to eight. While it was a scoreless stalemate throughout much of the day, Vassar’s efforts finally paid off in the closing stages of the game. In the 85th minute, first-year Kyle Lopes scored his second goal of the season, pouncing on a deflection off an Ithaca defender to give the Brewers their third win in a row.

[Correction (Nov. 4, 2019): An earlier version of this article had the wrong score for one of the games. Vassar College beat Ithaca 1-0, they didn’t lose 1-3.]