Sports Roundup: Nov. 14

Swimming & Diving

Vassar College vs. RPI | November 9, 2019 

The Brewers were unable to triumph over RIT on Saturday, as the men’s team fell 106-189 and the women’s team lost by a single measly point, 149-150. While the women’s team especially will be disappointed to have lost an entire meet by a single stroke in some race, or half a splash of a diver’s leap, throughout the day, both teams had some outstanding performances. In total, Vassar racers reached the wall first in 12 separate races, along with many other top three performances both in the pool and on the high-dive.

Field Hockey

Vassar College 0, Rochester 1| November 9, 2019

Vassar field hockey was unable to repeat as Liberty League Champions, as they suffered a 1-0 defeat against Rochester in the championship game on Saturday. The Brewers were on the back foot throughout the contest, as they only managed one shot to Rochester’s 15. Despite this, Vassar’s trademark defensive consistency kept them in the contest, as first-year goalkeeper Jules Smith posted seven saves. Rochester finally broke through late in the third quarter, then Vassar’s attempts at a comeback fell short in the fourth.

Women’s Soccer

Vassar College 1, Williams Smith 4 | November 10, 2019

Vassar lost the Liberty League Championship finals Sunday, as the thirdseeded Brewers fell 4-1 to the top seed (and winners of the last 13 Liberty League tournaments) No. 2 William Smith. The day before, the Brewers earned their way to the finals with a 1-0 win over second-seeded RIT, as senior midfielder Savannah Cutler scored the decisive goal. The next day however, Vassar was outmatched by the powerhouse Herons, as they were more than doubled in shots, shots on goal and corners taken through the match. Vassar will hope to rebound as they face another Liberty League foe, St. Lawrence, this Friday, Nov. 15.

Women’s Rugby

Vassar College 32, Marist 14 | November 9, 2019

Vassar defeated Marist in the Tri-State Conference Championship game on Saturday, securing themselves a spot in the next round of national playoffs and taking home the conference title in the process. Marist hung around through the first half, as Vassar headed into the break up 17-14. The Brewers turned it on in the second, not allowing another point and rattling off 15 of their own. Junior prop Meg Martin led the way on offense for Vassar, scoring 22 points on her own. The reigning NCAA-champs will look to keep rolling as they host the University of Vermont for their Round of 32 matchup this Saturday, Nov. 16.

All photos courtesy of Carlisle Stockton