Sports Roundup: Nov. 21

Squash

Vassar College vs. Colby College | November 17, 2019 

Sunday was tough for both teams, as they both suffered defeats from Colby College: 3-6 for the women and 0-9 for the men. The women’s team managed their three wins on the bottom of the ladder, as junior Isabel Bronson, senior Samantha Henderson and sophomore Lucie Bisbee took victories at the sixth, seventh and ninth spots respectively. The Brewer men fared worse, as they failed to win a single game across nine match losses. Both teams will look to bounce back as they host Connecticut College and Haverford this Saturday, Nov. 23.

Women’s Basketball

Vassar College 81, Worcester State 54 | November 16, 2019

Vassar took home the first ever Hochberg Family Tip-Off Tournament in confident fashion, as they dispatched their finals opponent Worcester State 81-54. Vassar took an early lead, doubling the Lancers through the first quarter 22-11, and never looked back. The Brewers brought a balanced offense, as no player scored above 14, but five reached double digits, including junior forward Sophie Nick, the tournament’s MVP, who posted 12 points and eight rebounds. The win was a strong start for the Brewers, who earned a bid to the NCAA tournament last year.

Fencing

Matt Lampdell Hudson River Invitational | November 17, 2019

Both men’s and women’s fencing had a chance to repeat as champions of the Matt Lampell Hudson River Invitational on Sunday at home, but only the men were successful, as they went 7-0 en route to the title. The women started strong, going 4-0 in pool play and dominating their semifinal, but lost a tight championship bout against Drew (whom they defeated 17-10 in pools) 13-14. The men’s team will return to action first, as they compete in the Drew Invitational on Sunday, Nov. 24. The teams then reunite for their next tournament, the Sacred Heart Traditional Multi-Meet, on Dec. 8.

Cross Country

NCAA Atlantic Regionals | November 16, 2019

While the women’s and men’s teams earned fifteenth and fifth place finishes respectively at the NCAA Atlantic Regionals on Saturday, the big news for Vassar cross country came on Sunday, as the NCAA selected the women’s team for the first at-large bid to the NCAA tournament in program history, held this year in Louisville on Nov. 23. Even before the team overall was selected, sophomore Keara Ginell had earned her way to the tournament with a third-place finish at regionals. Along with Ginell, junior Hannah Martin and men’s runner Reed Dolan took home all-region honors.

All photos courtesy of Carlisle Stockton