The GOCO’s greatest hits

Images courtesy of @deece_reviewed via Instagram. Edited by Frankie Knuckles/The Miscellany News.

We recently asked on our social media what Deece foods students are feeling most nostalgic for while we’re away. Gordon Commons Sous Chef Patricia Spreer provided us with a few of the most-requested recipes.

Vegan Chili

Ingredients
3 cloves Garlic
1 Small Yellow Onion, diced
2 Green Bell Peppers, diced
3 ribs Celery, diced
3 small carrots, diced
1⁄4 cup Chili Powder*
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1⁄2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (Optional)
2 15 oz cans Red Kidney Beans, drained 2 15 oz cans Pinto Beans, drained
2 28 oz cans Crushed Tomatoes
1 cup vegetable stock
Salt and Black Pepper, to taste

1. First add the Onion, Celery, and Green Pepper to a large nonstick pot over Medium-High heat with 1⁄3 cup of Water. Cook until all the water evaporates, stirring occasionally. Once the pot is “dry” and the vegetables start to turn golden brown, deglaze the pot with an additional 1⁄4 cup of Water. This process should take around 10 minutes total.
  2. Add the Garlic, Spices, and Carrots to the pot, then sauté for a few minutes, adding a small splash of water if things start to stick.
  3. FInally, add the drained Beans, Crushed Tomatoes, and 1 cup of vegetable stock to the Pot. Bring everything to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the lid from the pot and cook uncovered for 5-7 additional minutes, until the Carrots are tender and the Chili reaches your desired thickness. Stir this mixture occasionally, to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.
  4. Serve warm, and top as desired. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 7 days, or in the freezer for up to one month.

Fudge Brownies

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon Canola oil
1 1/8 cup white granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking panwith cooking oil spray; set aside.
  3. Combine hot melted butter, oil and sugartogether in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk well for about a minute. Add the eggs and vanilla; beat until lighter in colour (another minute).
  4. Sift in flour, cocoa powder and salt. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredi- ents until JUST combined (do NOT over beat as doing so well affect the texture of your brownies).
  5. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top out evenly. (OPTIONAL: Top with crushed oreos)
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the center of the brownies in the pan no longer jiggles and is just set to the touch (the brownies will keep baking in the hot pan out of the oven).

Cereal Bars

Ingredients

8 Tablespoons butter
8 cups mini marshmallows
8 cups Rice Krispies cereal or your favorite cereal

1. Put parchment paper in a 13×9 inch pan, set aside. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
  2. Add the marshmallows, stir into the butter until melted.
  3. As soon as marshmallows melt, remove from heat and add the cereal, stir until combined. Transfer the mix-ture into the prepared pan, squish the mixture into the pan, be sure not to compact it too much. Let cool. Once cooled, cut into squares.