Meet Vassar’s intramural cornhole champions

Monika Sweeney / The Miscellany News.

Muhammad Ali said it best: “Champions aren’t made in gyms…” He was right, especially when it comes to cornhole. Instead, they are made behind the dumpsters of the Athletics and Fitness Center (AFC) on a Monday evening. 

Vassar’s Intramural Doubles Cornhole Tournament ran every Monday from April 19 to May 17. A total of 18 teams were registered for the tournament, which consisted of three weeks round-robin style and two weeks of elimination. The tournament was supervised by student workers and run by Assistant Director of Athletics for Sports and Recreation Mike Callahan. With three cornhole games set up on the grassy plot of land behind the AFC dumpsters, up to six participants could be competing at once. 

Students competed in teams of two. Some of the most notable team names include: Unfriendly Black Hotties (Leon Moore ’24 and Asia Baker ’24), Mother Shuckers (Skylar Huebner ’24 and Mia Stein ’24) and Team Washed Up (Zachary Bromfeld ’21 and Lance Tebay ’21). Teams who advanced  to the final four included: Team Wingspan (Eli Feay ’24 and Case Parsons ’24), Unicornholes (Alec Yeaney ’21 and Jonah Frere-Holmes ’22), Corn in da Hole (Sophia McGrath ’22 and Kevin Silver ’22) and Lobby Boys (Gregory Calidonna ’22 and Ian Rosevar ’22). Team Wingspan, who went undefeated for the entire cornhole season, rode their streak to victory.  

I sat down with Vassar College’s reigning cornhole champs: Feay and Parsons. This duo, coming in at 6’6″ and 6’8,” respectively, might be better known by their team name––Team Wingspan. This name was created to poke fun at their combined 13’5″ wingspan (And yes, they do play basketball). 

Their road to victory was relatively smooth: After the elimination of 16 other teams, only two were left standing: Team Wingspan and Corn in da Hole. Considering  Team Wingspan’s undefeated record,  Feay and Parsons were confident. “I was calm, cool and collected––this was my time to shine,” Feay explained. Feay and Parsons took all three matches with ease. “First Vassar Intramurals. Next the ACL [American Cornhole League],” Feay joked.

Parsons and Feay made their way back from the AFC on the evening of May 17 with grins on their faces and excitement in their steps. Both boys stood up a little straighter on their walk back to their Joss double, as they proudly reflected on their successful season. Parsons shared the details of their victory: “It felt great because I really wanted to represent [Arizonian] cornhole in the best light and I felt like winning an intramural championship helped do that,” explained the Arizona native. Feay, a man of much fewer words, summed up his thoughts on winning with a simple eight letter word: “electric.”

Feay and Parsons, who each received a free t-shirt and campus clout after the competition, were proud of their win. “I mean, I was really only in it for the free t-shirt,” Feay joked. As for the secret to their cornhole success, Parsons admitted that spring sports having a season this year contributed greatly to their win. “If the baseball boys weren’t occupied, you probably wouldn’t be writing an article about Team Wingspan,” Parsons explained. “The key to winning? Getting more points than the other team,” Feay added. 

As for the future of Team Wingspan, they are excited for next year, both on the cornhole court and beyond. “If there’s cornhole next year, our future is still in tossing bags; Regardless, we’ll be on the basketball court together and I’m excited to see what Team Wingspan can do in a Brewer’s uniform,” Parsons shared.