Sports Roundup

Men’s Tennis | Sept. 26 and Oct. 1-2 | TCNJ Invitational and ITA Northeast Regionals

Vassar men’s tennis took the court two Sundays ago at The College of New Jersey Invitational. Facing off against NYU, the Brewers went 4-2 in singles and 2-2 in doubles. Despite being on opposite ends of their college careers, James Balon ’25 and William Hwang ’22 led the Brewers, each earning singles victories and then joining forces for a doubles win. This past weekend, the Brewers headed to Hobart College for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s Northeast Regionals. Benjamin Almquist ’24 won two singles and one doubles match on the first day of competition for the Brewers only wins, but the next day, he fell in the singles round of 16 to the tournament’s top seed. This concluded the Brewers’ season, and they’ll retake the courts again in February 2022.

Women’s Tennis | Oct. 3 | at Holy Cross (W, 4-1)

Vassar women’s tennis travelled to Worcester, Massachusetts to take on Division I College of the Holy Cross this past Sunday, besting them 4-1. Cara Kizilbash ’22 and Elyse Duley ’25 teamed up for a dominant 8-0 win, then recorded powerful 6-2, 6-1 and 6-1, 6-1 singles victories, respectively. Melina Stavropoulos ’22 notched wins in both singles and doubles as well. Her performance earned her a spot on the Liberty League’s honor roll for the week. With this marking their last fall competition, Stavropoulos and the Brewers hope to hold onto this momentum through the winter.

Men’s and Women’s Rowing | Oct. 2 | Poughkeepsie Regatta

Just as men’s tennis was wrapping up their season, men’s and women’s rowing took to the Hudson River this past Saturday to begin theirs. The men’s team went up against Clarkson University in a 5,000 meter contest, besting the Golden Knights by 35 seconds. In the women’s event, two Brewers’ squads clashed, finishing one one-hundredth of a second apart. Both the men’s and women’s teams will traverse the Hudson again, this time in Saratoga Springs, at the Skidmore Regatta this Saturday.

Men’s and Women’s Soccer | Oct. 2 | at Union (W, 2-0, and L, 1-2)

While the rowing Brewers tamed the waters and men’s tennis wrapped up their fall schedule, men’s and women’s soccer battled Union College. Men’s soccer made the trip to Schenectady, defeating the Dutchmen on their home turf for their second win against a Liberty League team and their eighth win overall. Women’s soccer took on the Dutchwomen at Vassar, but left with their second loss against a Liberty League opponent, dropping to 5-3-1 overall. The women look to bounce back with another home matchup, this time against New Paltz on Oct. 6, while the men don’t play again until Oct. 9, where they look to keep rolling in a home showdown vs. Skidmore.