Sports Roundup

Men’s Soccer | Oct. 15-23 | 2-0-1

Vassar men’s soccer went 2-0-1 over fall break, moving to 10-2-2 overall and third in the Liberty League standings. The Brewers kicked off the break with a doubleheader weekend against two northern LL opponents, Clarkson University and St. Lawrence University (SLU). Against Clarkson, a goal in the 88th minute from Duncan Keker ’25 and five saves throughout the match from goalie Eric Wnorowski ’23 notched the 1-0 win for the squad on senior day. The next day versus SLU saw the team earn its eighth shutout of the season in a 2-0 win, with goals coming from Eamon Geraghty ’22 in the first half and Owen Fauth ’23 in the second. Their third match of the break played out at Hobart on Oct. 23, ending in a 0-0 tie after regulation and double overtime. Despite failing to find the back of the net, the draw marked the third straight shutout for the Brewers and stretched their unbeaten streak to six games. The men’s team will close out regular season competition against the top two teams in the conference this week, with a match at RPI on Oct. 27 and versus Ithaca at home on Oct. 30. 

Women’s Soccer | Oct. 15-23 | 2-1-0

Like the men’s team, women’s soccer also kicked off their fall break with two wins, but were unable to sustain their win streak through the last weekend. The Brewers made the long trek to Clarkson University and St. Lawrence University for games during the weekend of Oct. 15, and despite playing both opponents on their home turf left with two wins. Against the Golden Knights, the Brewers finally broke through in the 58th minute and again in the 70th minute as Skylar Herrera-Ross ’21 and Noelle Namba ’25 notched goals. The next day, even amid a weather delay, the squad persevered with two first-half goals from Jackie Morrison ’24 and Isabel Leinenweber ’23. Goalie Claire Mackenzie ’24 earned both the shutouts. The squad travelled back to Poughkeepsie for their third game of the break against William Smith College on Oct. 23. The Herons opened up the scoring early and maintained the lead throughout the game to win 4-1. Women’s soccer now goes into their final games of the regular season 8-5-1, but will hope to add to their win total against RPI on Oct. 27 and at Ithaca on Oct. 30.

Men and Women’s Rowing | Oct. 17 & Oct. 24 | Snake Regatta and Head of the Charles Regatta

Both men’s and women’s rowing competed this past week, with men’s crew at the Snake Regatta on Oct. 17 in Worcester, Massachusetts while women’s crew raced at the historic Head of the Charles Regatta in Cambridge, Massachusetts on Oct. 24. Competing in the men’s collegiate 4+ competition, the men’s squad finished eighth out of 13 teams with a time of 17:32.404. Jumping to the next weekend, the women’s squad raced in the women’s collegiate 8+ at the world-renowned rowing competition. The Brewers crossed the line at 20:21.663, finishing 39th out of 40 teams. Both squads look to close out their fall season this Saturday on Oct. 30 at the Head of the Fish Regatta in Saratoga Springs. 

Men and Women’s Cross Country | Oct. 16 | Connecticut College Invitational

The Vassar men’s and women’s cross country teams kicked off fall break with their biggest invitational of the season so far, facing off against multiple nationally-ranked teams at the Connecticut College Invitational. This race served as a preview for NCAA Regionals which will also be held at the course. The women’s team placed 14th of 26 teams in the Caroline Grape ’22 Memorial Blue Race, with a 23rd-place finish from Sasha Allison ’22, who ran the 6,000-meter race in 22:57.10. Augusta Stockman ’23 finished 55th overall and many other Brewers ran personal-best times. Miles Takiguchi ’23, who finished 19th with a season-best time of 25:23.60, led the men’s team to a seventh-place finish (out of 26) in the 8,000-meter Blue Race, along with Reed Dolan ’21, who finished close behind at 25th with a time of 25:33.90. Jack Casalino ’22 also turned in a strong performance with a time of 25:48.00, which earned him 33rd place overall. Both teams will travel to Saratoga Springs, NY for the Liberty League Championship on Oct. 30th.

Field Hockey | Oct. 15-24 | 2-1-0

Vassar field hockey went 2-1 over fall break, improving their record to 11-4 on the season. The Brewers started the break at Union College, steamrolling them 6-0. Carina D’souza ’22 commenced the scoring with a goal just three minutes into the game and the Brewers never looked back, with goals from four of her teammates to follow. The Brewers continued their week with an Oct. 23rd match at Rochester. The Brewers escaped with a 1-0 win off a goal from Tori Baker ’25, while goalie Sarah Dumaresq ’24 made five saves in the shutout victory. The Brewers finished their fall break with a home game against William Smith, a heartbreaker 2-1 loss in double overtime. William Smith scored in the first quarter but Vassar’s Avery Bauman ’23 tied it up in the second half. The Brewers defended well late into the game, but the Herons finally broke through with just 11 seconds left in the second overtime period. The Brewers are finished with Liberty League play until the conference tournament, but have two more non-conference games before then, including a matchup at Scranton on Oct. 27th.

Women’s Volleyball | Oct. 22 & Oct. 23 | 0-2-0

The Vassar women’s volleyball team played two games over the break. On Oct.23rd they hosted Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), who beat them 3-0 (25-13, 25-12, 25-11). For the Brewers, Sara Ehnstrom ’22 had three kills and a team-best nine digs while Madison Wilson ’22 had 11 assists to go along with her two kills and four digs. The Brewers fell behind early in the first set 10-3, before fighting back to make it 12-10, but RIT finished the set on a 9-1 run to win it. The Brewers kept the second set close at 5-4 and later 8-5, but RIT again finished the set on a strong run, 5-0, to take a 2-0 set lead. RIT dominated early in the third set, taking a 13-1 lead and the Brewers were never able to overcome the deficit. The next day, the Brewers fell to Ithaca 3-0 (25-20, 25-18, 25-23) in a hard-fought match. Vassar’s Sara Enhstrom ’22 led all players with 10 kills, alongside her 11 digs and block assist. Madison Wilson ’22 led all players with 31 assists and also notched a block assist and seven digs. The first set started off close, all tied up at 8-8, before Ithaca began to pull away at 15-11. The Brewers stormed back and closed the gap to 22-20, but failed to score another point, losing the set 25-20. The second set played out similarly, with Ithaca taking an early 9-8 lead, before Vassar fought back to make it 21-18, but the set ended with Ithaca pulling away once again to take a 2-0 set lead. The Brewers had their best effort in the third set, initially taking a 9-5 lead before Ithaca evened it up at 11-11. The Brewers retook the lead at 17-14, but Ithaca came back again and took the lead this time, 18-17. With the third set tied at 23-23, Vassar made two attacking errors to drop the set 25-23 and the match 3-0. With the losses, the Brewers fell to 6-10 (2-5 in the Liberty League). The Brewers are done with regular season conference contests, but will travel to New Paltz on Oct. 27th for an out-of-conference contest.