Sports Roundup

Men’s Squash | Nov. 6-7 | 3W-2L

The Brewers had a busy opening weekend of contests as the team hosted five different opponents. On Saturday, the squad sent Fordham and Northeastern home with losses, defeating both teams 6-3. Two wins from Rithik Jalali ’24 at number one, Jarid Haslinger ’25 at seven, Azaan Malik ’25 at eight and Reese Collins ’22 at nine led the way for the Brewers. Sunday action had the Brewers sweeping Swarthmore 9-0 but falling to Georgetown 2-7 and Boston University 4-5. Eight of the nine Brewers posted 3-0 wins against Swarthmore, easily cruising to their first triumph of the day. Against Georgetown and BU, Vassar earned two wins from Collins and Patrick Looby ’25 in both matches, while victories from Jalali, Malik and Sameer Mustafa ’23 kept the Brewers close against BU. Collins and Malik earned Liberty League Honors for their performances over the weekend, with Collins named Performer of the Week and Malik named Rookie of the Week. Next weekend, the squad will look to improve on their 3-2 record in the Raptors Round Robin at Bard.

Women’s Squash | Nov. 6-7 | 4W-OL

Women’s squash kicked off their season with stellar performances up and down the ladder, boasting an undefeated record. On Saturday, the Brewers swept Fordham 9-0 and then followed their win up with a hard-fought 5-4 victory over Northeastern. Claire Coss ’22, Anna Lee ’24, Nicole Pihlstrom ’22, Claire Weiss ’24 and Olivia Berkson ’24 all notched two wins. Success continued on Sunday with a 7-2 triumph against Boston University, which saw wins from Coss at one on the ladder down to Sophia Choudhri ’25 at nine. The final contest of the weekend against Colgate University saw the two teams going down to the last match, as the Brewers boasted wins at the second, third, fourth and fifth positions, but losses in the sixth, seventh, eighth and ninth. Coss snatched the final win of the day to nab the victory for the Brewers, as she defeated her Colgate opponent 3-0. The 4-0 weekend for Coss saw her earn Liberty League Performer of the Week Honors this past Tuesday. The squad will next host William Smith College on Nov. 14.

Women’s Fencing | Nov. 7 | NEIFC Invitational

Vassar hosted the NEIFC Fall Invitational this past weekend, and the team showcased a promising start to their season. Nicknamed “The Big One,” the tournament is attended by schools all over the country across divisions. Fencers compete at the individual level, but must represent a member institution. Zoe Tolbert ’22 spotlighted for the Brewers on Sunday, tying for third in the foil event. After easily winning out in her pool, Tolbert reached the semifinals of the event tied for the top-seed, but unfortunately fell 14-15 in the semis to tie for third. Performances from Tori Lubin ’22 (fifth overall in the foil) and Olivia Barnes ’25 (ninth overall in the epee) were also noteworthy. The Brewers competed less successfully in the saber, but Kira Wheeler ’25 led the way with an 18th overall finish. Vassar will host yet again next Sunday, Nov. 14, for the Vassar Invitational. 

Men’s Fencing | Nov. 7 | NEIFC Invitational

Men’s Fencing also competed at the NEIFC Invitational this past Sunday, posting top-10 finishes across each weapon group. In the epee, Jack Plumer ’23 placed sixth overall to lead the squad, followed by Nishay Bhatnagar ’22, Alden Pierson Smela ’22 and Eli Weise ’25 in 18th, 22nd and 25th overall, respectively. Five Brewers finished in the top-25 for the saber, driven by the eighth overall finish from Conor Travaglione ’23, who went 6-1 in the pool play but fell in the fourth round to the eventual champion of the event. In the foil, Benjamin Lee ’24 swiftly reached the semifinals after posting five wins in pool play, but lost to the future champion of the event 7-15, admirably finishing tied for third overall. Caleb Klein ’22 reached the quarterfinals, following Lee at 15th overall in the standings. Like the women’s team, the squad will compete at the Vassar Invitational next Sunday in the Walker Field House.