Get Your Eyes Checked (Even If I Won’t)

Being in college means you will have to spend an ungodly amount of time looking at a screen. Whether it be a computer screen for homework, a phone for texting or a TV for watching every piece of trash that lives on Netflix, myriad hours are spent looking at these devices. 

In my early years of college, I never thought that this was much of a problem. OK sure, I got some alarming screen time notifications that my phone usage averaged 10 hours a day, but I was able to identify and eliminate the problem… for the most part.

However, upon watching TV with my suitemates, I noticed that the letters on the screen appeared a little fuzzy. This wasn’t the kind of fuzziness that happens at the end of a long day of work or other such eye-straining activities, such as scrolling on your phone for 10 hours. It was the kind that doesn’t go away until you squint super hard and focus on each specific letter. I personally wasn’t concerned and pointed out to my suitemates that something must be wrong with the TV. But my dreams of having perfect eyesight forever were promptly crushed as they informed me that they could see the words perfectly fine. 

This is where I started to panic. Anyone who knows me knows I am a bit of a freak when it comes to health. And by that, I mean that I am convinced that anything and everything is out to kill me. So this whole “might need to get my eyes checked”  was not the best thing for me to realize. 

Now, if this had happened to me about 13 years ago, it would have been a different story. When I was a child I used to yearn for the day when I could get glasses. When I was seven years old, I declared that I needed to get my eyes examined and was sure this would result in a swanky new pair of green-framed glasses. So, my mother, being the good person she is, decided to get both my brother and I checked—just to be safe. Upon going to the pediatric optometrist, I was informed that not only did I have 20/20 vision, but my brother desperately needed glasses and didn’t even know that you weren’t supposed to squint to see things. Needles to say, I was devastated. As my brother was being granted the gift of sight, I was throwing a hissy fit in the waiting room, coming to terms with the terrible news that I had just received. 

Over the years, I began to cope. Yes, I still bought an obscene amount of fake lenses from Claire’s… only to lose or break them a week later. But it was part of the process. I finally admitted to myself that I did not need (and was NOT capable of looking after) glasses. 

Since my recent day of reckoning, I have taken some precautions to ensure my eyes stay healthy. I have started to do the eye yoga that Sir Paul McCartney swears by. I purchased a $50 pair of blue light glasses that do absolutely nothing but I continue to wear them because I am hoping they will miraculously work. I even have limited my screen time… kinda. 

Now comes the million-dollar question. Have I gotten my eyes checked? No, I have not. Will I be getting them checked anytime soon? Maybe, but most likely not. WIll I tell myself that it is not a big deal, and I have no time to go to the eye doctor? You betcha.