Women’s Rugby Advances to Championships

Women’s Rugby | Nov. 20-21 | USA Rugby ACRA Championships

Women’s rugby advanced to the USA Rugby ACRA National Championships on Nov. 21 after defeating the United States Coast Guard Academy at the Vassar Farm. Before their semi-final victory, the Brewers clashed with Colby College on Nov. 20 in the quarterfinals. The squad quickly went to work against Colby, claiming a 34-0 lead after the first half and ultimately dominated them 53-5. The next day, the Brewers faced Coast Guard, who had beaten Colorado School of Mines in the other quarterfinal the previous day. The match proved to be a tougher competition for the team, as Vassar found themselves down 15-0 in the first 20 minutes, but the squad fought their way back to keep it close at 15-12 after the first half. Vassar capitalized on their momentum in the second half as Emily Howell ’22 scored the final two out of her four tries on the day to go along with tries by Sophia Florida ’22 and Julia Busby ’22. With MC Cicenia ’23 kicking two more conversions, Vassar finally knocked off Coast Guard 26-20 and booked their ticket to the ACRA Fall Championship game. The squad will now travel to Matthews, North Carolina to face Temple University this Saturday, Dec. 4 where they will have the chance to win their second National Championship.

Cross Country | Nov. 20 | NCAA Championships

After a historic season of firsts, including the program’s first national championship appearance, the Vassar men’s cross country team capped off their season with a 21st place finish at the DIII National Championships in Louisville. Jack Casalino ’22 was the first Brewer to cross the finish line at 24:44.2, earning 90th place, moving up 67 spots after the first 1,000 meters. Miles Takiguchi ’23 and Reed Dolan ’21 finished next for the squad, with Takiguchi at 141st and Dolan at 147th. Johnathan Dean ’22, Aidan Mayer ’24 and Benny Clark ’25 rounded out the event for the Brewers, crossing the line at 180th, 194th and 235th overall, respectively. The duo of Augusta Stockman ’23 and Sasha Allison ’22 represented Vassar women’s cross country, finishing their seasons at 121st and 134th respectively. Both improved on their places throughout the race, with Stockman starting at 240th and Allison at 223rd.

Women’s Fencing | Nov. 21 | Matt Lampell Hudson River Invitational

Vassar fencing capped off a successful tournament weekend right before the Thanksgiving break, with the women’s team claiming the invite title while the men’s team finished as runners-up. On the women’s side, the team’s Burgundy squad went 5-0 against Vassar Gray group, Drew, West Point, RPI and Yeshiva in the opening pool round. After receiving a first round bye, the Burgundy group defeated West Point in the semifinals 14-4, with foil going 8-0. Vassar’s Gray squad defeated Yeshiva 16-2 in the quarterfinals, but fell to Drew 12-1 in the semis. In the championship, Burgundy and Drew clashed, but Burgundy easily knocked off the Rangers 14-6, with foil winning 8-1 and epee 4-1, although Drew prevailed in the saber 2-4. Women’s fencing will next compete at the Sacred Heart Tradition Invite this weekend on Sunday, Dec. 5.

Men’s Fencing | Nov. 21 | Matt Lampell Hudson River Invitational

For men’s fencing, the Brewers’ two groups, A and B, easily advanced out of the pool rounds, with the A squad going 3-1 against Drew, RIT, Cornell and Binghamton, and the B squad posting a 4-0 record against Army, RPI, Marist and Rochester. After receiving the second seed in the tournament, the A group swiftly moved onto the semifinals, defeating Binghamton 15-2. Wins came across the board for the group, with saber and epee winning 8-1 and 3-1, and foil going undefeated at 4-0. The B squad also moved to the semifinals with a 14-8 win over RIT. Saber easily won at 6-1, while foil sneaked past their opponent with a 5-4 victory. Epee split with the Tigers 3-3. For the semifinals, the Vassar squads drew each other, with the A group winning 13-4. The A group went 9-0 and 3-0 against their teammates in foil and saber, but the B group got the edge in the epee. In the championship round, the A faced off against Drew. Unfortunately, Vassar fell to the Rangers 14-7, losing out in the foil and epee, but splitting saber. The Brewers will join the women’s team at the Sacred Heart Tradition Invite this Sunday.