Vassar Brewers Spring Sports Recap

The second semester has officially come to an end, and with it, this year’s spring sports season. Here are four teams that shined this semester.

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team thrived in Liberty League play this year, finishing 16-2 in conference play, good for a second place regular season finish. After starting the season with five losses, the team found its stride, winning 17 of its next 19 games before falling in the Liberty League tournament semi-finals. Senior captains Sarah Gillooly ’22 and Dani Douglas ’22 led the team in scoring, averaging 15.4 and 14.2 points per game, respectively. Julia Harvey ’25 also finished the season with a double-digit scoring average, contributing 11.8 points per contest. Gillooly led the team with 5.7 rebounds per game and a Liberty League best 4.0 assists per game.

Eliza Srinivasan ’23 was another crucial contributor, averaging 5.0 rebounds and just under four assists to go with her 7.0 points per game. Three-point shooting was an essential part of the Brewer’s offensive attack and was anchored by Douglas, who shot 37% from beyond the arc on a conference leading 242 attempts, and Alex Lee ’23, who shot a highly efficient 40% from three. 

There was no shortage of end of season honors for the Brewers, as Gillooly was named the Liberty League Player of the Year, Srinivasan was recognized as the League’s Defensive Player of the Year and Gillooly and Douglas were All-Liberty League First Team selections. Head coach Anthony Mason and assistant coach JJ Hoffstein were also recognized for the Brewer’s impressive season with 2021-22 Liberty League Coaching Staff of the Year honors. 

Women’s Track & Field

The women’s track and field team had no shortage of impressive showings as their season of conference competition continued with the Liberty League Championships. Traci Francis ’25 and Ava Novak ’24 excelled in the 100-meter finals, both running career-best times. Francis finished third in the event, and Novak finished fourth. A season-best performance earned the 4×100 meter relay team of Malinda Smith ’23, Novak, Lola Perez-Fry ’23 and Francis a fourth-place finish. Program records were broken by Elinor Kops ’25 in the 100-meter hurdles and by Faye Stevens ’25 in the 400-meter hurdles. Vassar’s 4×400 meter relay team, made up of Novak, Stevens, Ava Waters ’23 and Sarah Gillooly ’22 finished fifth overall, while Gillooly placed fourth individually in the 800-meter finals. Sasha Allison ’22 and Noni Pattington ‘25 finished seventh and eighth overall in the 5,000-meter race. Pattington’s finish marked a personal best time, as did the sixth place finish of first-year Rhys Miller ’25 in the triple jump.

Men’s Volleyball

Once ranked as high as second in the country, the men’s volleyball team finished the season ranked fourteenth nationally. The Brewers finished the season with an overall record of 18-6 and went 5-2 in regular season United Volleyball Conference (UVC) play. The team saw its season come to an end in the UVC semifinals in a four set loss to eventual conference champion St. John Fisher. Team attack percentage leader Gavin van Beveren ’23 and team kill leader Andrew Kim ’23 were both honored as American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) All-Americans and were named to the All-UVC first team. Van Beveren, Kim, Jacob Kim ’24 and Payne Lounsberry ’25 were named to the AVCA North All-Region Team. Lounsberry’s impressive rookie season also earned him UVC Rookie of the Year and AVCA North Region Newcomer of the Year honors, as well as All-UVC honors, which Jacob Kim also earned. For his impressive playoff performances, captain Adam Gulick ’23 was named to the UVC All-Tournament Team.

Men’s Track & Field

The men’s track and field team finished Liberty League competition with impressive showings at the conference championships. Record setting victories from Aidan Mayer ’24 in the 3,000-meter steeplechase and Miles Takiguchi ’23 in the 10k race highlighted the championships. In the 100-meter finals, Darnell Worley ’24 set a personal record to earn a fifth-place finish. Vassar was well-represented in the 1,500-meter race, as Gibran Mourani ’22 and Mayer finished sixth and ninth respectively. The team also performed well in the 5,000-meter race, with Takiguchi finishing fourth and Jonathan Dean ’22 and Jack Casalino ’22 finishing eighth and tenth respectively. In hurdles, Lukas Muzila ’23 took seventh in the 400-meter hurdles finals and first-year Max Bergman ’25 finished sixth in the decathlon 110-meter hurdles. The 4×400 meter relay team of Tucker Quinlan ’23, Sam Lytel ’24, Tim Jacques ’24 and Simon LaClair ’24 finished fifth overall.