If I’m a senior, is it too late to change my ways?

I have finally made it. The pinnacle of my academic career and most likely the end, unless I am met with an existential crisis upon graduation. Senior year of college. I will not lie, there were times that made me question whether or not I would ever make it. I mean, for those of you who have read my column, it is no secret that I have terrible work habits and a tendency to make very poor decisions in my academic life. While most of those experiences have brought me a lot of frustration and anguish, it has given me most of the material for this god forsaken column. 

Now, you may be wondering: Have I always been this terrible at doing my work and completing tasks on time while simultaneously putting all my energy into tasks that have no urgency at all? The answer is yes, yes I have. I firmly believe that at the age of 11, I was already diagnosed with a major case of senioritis. And I have carried that with me for the last 10 years. Although I have always managed to get everything done, it has never been in a timely, stress-free manner. And still, with my unlimited amount of hubris in the belief that I will make this the year I finally change, I have once again set myself on this journey. 

It usually starts out with little changes, like scheduling. This year, I decided I was going to utilize the Calendar app on my phone to structure my time in a less hectic way. Has this helped? Meh. Have I used it once since the first day of class? Nah. Then it usually goes to the really massive unachievable goals, like doing all of my readings. It doesn’t help that I need lots of noise around me to focus and I get very easily bored with literally every college reading I have ever had. What really digs it in is the fact that I have refused to buy any of the required texts for my classes this year. If it isn’t online in a blurry PDF, I ain’t reading it.  

But, as I look back at my writing for The Misc, a majority of my pieces have been centered around my laziness, my inability to tell the truth when it comes to said laziness and the lack of drive when it comes to my very expensive academic career. Not the best impression I can give to future employers.

This all raises the question… will I ever change? I think we all know the answer to that question, but no need to say it. 

1. What is it that you want to change about yourself? It sounds like you are aware of your negative qualities and have been for some time. If you are looking to make a change, it will require effort and dedication on your part. Are you up for the challenge?