Cherry Glazerr’s sound continues to evolve, pushes boundaries

Image courtesy of Paul Hudson via Wikimedia Commons.

What band could seamlessly combine gritty guitar, languid vocals and synth-oriented electronic elements? Why, none other than Cherry Glazerr. The band is currently made up of only three members, frontwoman Clementine Creevy, Tabor Allen on drums and Sami Perez on bass.  They are not your typical indie garage rock group; their sound is an eclectic and unique amalgamation of alternative, punk and most recently, electronic influences.

Creevy, a Los Angeles native, began releasing music in 2012 at the age of 15 and hasn’t slowed down since, according to All Music. Around a year prior to forming Cherry Glazerr, Creevy released solo music on SoundCloud under the name “Clembutt.” With the help of fellow Los Angeles musicians Hannah Uribe, Sophia Muller and Sean Redman, she formed Cherry Glazerr in 2013. While the band’s sound has developed from mellow and at times timid indie rock, to bombastic punky art-rock, to electronically surged alternative jams, there is no question that its music has always been unique and boundary-pushing.

Creevy has been the only consistent member since the band’s formation in 2013, with five other members drifting in and out from 2013 to 2018, per Last.fm, but the turnover of members has been completely organic. This variety of musicians has enhanced Creevy’s collaborative vision for Cherry Glazerr; she credits having a multitude of talented artists contributing to her project as influencing the band’s ever-changing sound. While the band’s sound has fluctuated throughout the years, Creevy’s leadership has provided the band with stability and an instantly recognizable quality through each new era. 

Creevy hasn’t limited herself to the musical realm. In 2013, she modeled for Yves Saint Laurent. In 2014, the brand’s creative director Hedi Slimane commissioned Creevy to write a song for its fall campaign, as reported in TWELV. This seemingly dissonant mash-up of indie-rock and high fashion birthed Cherry Glazerr’s most famous song, “Had Ten Dollaz.” This is ironic, considering that while promoting a luxury fashion brand, she repeatedly croons, “Had ten dollars but put it away.” Irony aside, “Had Ten Dollaz” allowed Cherry Glazerr to skyrocket to indie-rock stardom. The bass-fueled and intensity-laced track embodied the first major transition in Cherry Glazerr’s music. The casual and lighthearted sound of Cherry Glazerr’s first album, Papa Cremp, was abandoned for the moody and at times aggressive songs in Haxel Princess, the band’s sophomore album. Notable songs, such as the title track “Haxel Princess” and “Bloody Bandaid,” feature more precise guitar and pointed, calculated, yet often humorous lyrics. 

In 2017, Cherry Glazerr released a new album entitled Apocalipstick. Around the time of release for Apocalipstick, Cherry Glazerr signed to indie rock label Secretly Canadian. Other notable artists under the label, as reported in their signed artists list, include Faye Webster, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Skullcrusher. While the sense of humor and quick-wittedness present in Haxel Princess lived on in Apocalipstick, there was a new sense of gloom present. The decision to release Apocalipstick on the day of former President Donald Trump’s inauguration day was no accident—it was a calculated political statement. In an interview with CLRVYNT, Creevy confirmed that the political statements (and political humor) in Apocalipstick were inspired by the racist, sexist, psychotic monster himself.  

This is not the only time Creevy has taken a brave stand. In 2020, Creevy disclosed that when she was 14, she was sexually abused by Sean Redman of the Buttertones, a band also signed to Burger Records—the label that had released Creevy’s first album. Creevy’s bravery—along with the bravery of other women in bands under Burger Records, such as Starcrawler’s Arrow De Wilde—exposed the toxic culture and inexcusable behavior occurring under Burger Records, which led to the record label ceasing operations in July 2020, as stated by the Los Angeles Times.

Creevy’s bravery and resilience in the face of extreme adversity shine through on Cherry Glazerr’s most recent album, Stuffed and Ready, which also took a completely new sonic direction. With the combined undertones of indie-pop and art-rock, “Stuffed and Ready ushered in a new era of confidence. Tracks like “Daddi” explored new electronic influences, while songs like “Distressor” contain the wall of guitar-fueled sound present in previous albums. Recently, Cherry Glazerr has been delving into the world of electronic and synth-infused music. By collaborating with artists such as Moon Boots and working with producers such as Suzy Shinn, Cherry Glazerr has successfully shifted genres once again. Despite a roller coaster of different sounds over the years, fans keep coming back to Creevy and her familiar witty lyrics and instantly recognizable confident vocals. With Creevy only being in her mid-20s, who’s to say what comes next for Cherry Glazerr? Only time will tell what exciting new directions Creevy and the band will explore.