Hibernating student reviews the best dorm snacks

Maryam Bacchus/The Miscellany News.

It’s that time of year again where as soon as you step outside, your hands and face turn red and your classes are only half full because everyone is sick. Surviving winter is difficult, but with the added stress of having to take care of yourself while away at college, it becomes more like an obstacle course. That’s why, in true hibernation fashion, I have a stockpile of snacks and nonperishables in my cave. The many people that have seen my stash have often uttered, “Wow, you could live solely off your room” or “Huh, I never thought to buy that.” So, in an effort to share my knowledge, I’ve compiled a list (in no particular order) of my favorite survival snacks.

#1 – Nostalgic cereal

Do you hate waking up for breakfast but you have a 9 a.m. back-to-back with a 10:30 a.m.? Do you take a nap after your classes and sleep through the non-peak Deece hours? Have you ever just wanted to eat Trix out of a solo cup while watching “The Suite Life on Deck”? If you answered yes to any of these questions, this one’s for you. Cereal is the perfect easy-meal. Even better, now that you’re (mostly) an adult and (mostly) in control of your own spending, this is the validation you need to buy the sugary cereal your parents once denied you. I personally stockpile the aforementioned Trix, as well as Honey Nut Cheerios and Life for when I’m feeling “healthy.” Last semester, I was in my pebbles era with both Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles on deck. The best thing about cereal is that there are so many options to choose from, so you can almost never get tired of it. Next time you find yourself aimlessly wandering the aisles of Target, ask yourself what cereal you miss the most and consider buying it.

#2 – Clementine or mandarin oranges

I know, I know, you’re about to stop reading because I mentioned fruit, but hear me out. These little cuties offer you Vitamin C in the height of sick season and a fun bite-sized treat that is also reminiscent of childhood. You can drizzle them with honey or agave if you’re feeling sweet, or add some salt to cut the sour taste.  

#3 – Peanut butter and…everything?

I have had a family-size jar of peanut butter since last semester, and it was honestly one of my best purchases ever. Peanut butter itself is versatile in sandwiches and can be a topping in smoothies or with fruit. In combination with the jelly of your choice, it makes a sandwich that is both nutritious and filling for when you don’t want to leave the warmth of your room for a lukewarm Deece dinner. This is by far the most practical item on this list.  

#4 – Clif bars

Hot take: Clif bars are almost too sweet. I used to dislike them until I realized how truly multifunctional they are. They could be a dessert, snack or meal, and versatility is the name of the game when you have limited storage space. Leave one in your backpack or jacket pocket for emergencies on the go. My favorite flavors are Chocolate Chip and Chocolate Brownie, the latter being my current fixation. You can never go wrong with healthy chocolate. 

#5 – Spicy chips

“Spicy chips” is intentionally vague because there is really so much you can do here. If you have an affinity for artificial cheese, you can go the classic Flamin’ Hot Cheetos or some form of Hot Fries route. If you enjoy a specific flavor of spice like sweet chili or jalapeño, there are many different brands and chip types to choose from. My personal favorite to stockpile is Kettle Brand Jalapeño Chips. Every time I try to get another snack, I end up finishing a bag of these chips in two sittings and completely ignoring whatever else I bought. I cannot identify what makes them so good, but they are—and thus are a staple for snacking. 

#6 – Gatorade

Last but certainly not least, Gatorade is there for you through thick and thin. Sick and dehydrated? Gatorade. Too much fun on a weekend? Gatorade. The walk to the gym got you winded before you’ve even started your workout? Gatorade. If one drink could solve all of life’s problems, it just might be Gatorade. While water does serve a similar purpose, we all deserve a sugary treat every now and then. 

The next time you head to Target on a time crunch, pull this article up as your shopping list. Alternatively, consider what snacks make you feel the same ways I do about my favorites and stock up on those. Either way, I definitely recommend having a mini pantry in your room to survive these trying times. 

Maryam Bacchus/The Miscellany News.