Bzrp music sessions complement artists’ individual styles

Courtesy of Ciruja12345 via Wikimedia Commons.

Argentine DJ Bizarrap’s style combines Latin trap with EDM and rap. He recently made his way into the spotlight via his Bzrp Music Sessions, a series of independent recordings with various Latin artists. However, I first discovered him through a collaboration with Puerto Rican artist Rauw Alejandro on the latter’s most recent album. The track, titled “BABY HELLO,” is the last on the album, a continuation of the celestial themes on Alejandro’s two latest projects—“SATURNO” and “PLAYA SATURNO”—both released in 2023. After enjoying the shift from Alejandro’s blended reggaeton beats to Bizarrap’s EDM sound, I sought out the DJ’s biography and discovered his music sessions. Since then, quite a few have made it into my weekly listening rotation. The music sessions share similar qualities from Bizarrap’s style, but also integrate individual influence from the artists themselves, making seamless transitions between different discographies. Below, I have compiled a short list of my favorite sessions that also work well together. 

Peso Pluma: Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 55

Like Bizarrap, Peso Pluma has recently broken into the mainstream with jaunty Mariachi-inspired acoustics. Having only previously heard his music featured in online videos, this session inspired me to peruse his “This is Peso Pluma” playlist on Spotify. His Bzrp session largely keeps true to his style but features a segue into a trap beat, including a few synths before concluding with the original sound. Many fans of Peso Pluma enjoy the deviation, as the two styles complement each other well despite being quite different.

Quevedo: Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 52

Quevedo’s music session actually gained the previously unknown Madrid-born artist recognition. This track is definitely the resident party song on this list, as the beat is reminiscent of European club music. Like Peso Pluma, Quevedo was relatively unknown to me prior to listening to his session. His other popular songs by him follow a similar pattern, but their underlying beats are more akin to the sound of modern reggaeton artists. 

Rauw Alejandro: Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 56

Rauw Alejandro’s music session was my gateway to Bizarrap, and both this session and the artist are my favorites of this list. Alejandro also has the closest original style to that of Bizarrap, which could be an explanation for why the two work well together. The former is considered a king in the modern reggaeton scene and often experiments with synth beats in his own music. One of his most recognized songs, “Todo De Ti,” features a prominent electronic sound reminiscent of 80s arcade music throughout the introduction and conclusion; the tune fades into the background of the remainder of the song. However, “Todo De Ti” is paced much slower than Alejandro’s session, which is closer to the aforementioned “BABY HELLO.” 

Shakira: Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 53

Perhaps the most famous of the sessions, Shakira’s recording won several accolades in 2023, including Best Urban Pop Song at the Latino Music Awards, Best Pop Song and Song Of The Year at the Latin Grammy Awards, and Latin Pop Song Of The Year at the Billboard Latin Music Awards. It is rumored to be a diss track to her ex, Gerard Piqué, following his cheating scandal in 2022. It starts off with a futuristic sound that continues throughout the chorus. Later in the track, she also raps over a typical Latin trap beat, which is uncommon for the longtime star. Her session overall is full of surprises, only enhanced when listeners consider the story behind it. 

Young Miko: Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 58

The newest session features up-and-coming Puerto Rican rapper Young Miko. I was introduced to her last summer, and I enjoy her voice and style. In this session, her rapping is combined with a trap and electronic sound, similar to the structure of Rauw Alejandro’s works. Later in the session, her voice fades into Bizarrap’s familiar synth during the bridge. 

The overall concept of the music sessions was previously absent from my listening rotation, which is why I am glad I found Bizarrap. His unique influence on the discography of some of my beloved artists has been great to discover, and in the process, I have also found new artists to listen to. The versatility of the artists he works with and the tracks he produces with them are a testament to the quality of his individual work.