The Miscellany News, one of the oldest collegiate weeklies in the country, has served as the student newspaper of Vassar College since 1866. Produced by more than 40 student volunteers, The Miscellany News sets Vassar’s standard for in-depth reporting, creative thinking, exemplary writing and journalistic excellence. Student workers distribute the paper every Thursday morning during the academic year, and thousands of Vassar students, faculty members, administrators, staff, alumnae/i and Arlington readers flip through it over their morning coffee to stay up to date with the latest campus goings-on.

We welcome submissions from all members of the College community to supplement contributions from our staff of over 40 reporters, columnists, photographers, multimedia correspondents, designers and editors. Visit us at 9 p.m. in the Rose Parlor of Main Building every Sunday night for an informal discussion of the week’s paper (Paper Critique), or contact us at [email protected] to get involved.

Executive Board

Editor-in-Chief

Jessica Moss

[email protected] | [email protected]

Jessica is a political science and Russian Studies double major. She has previously served as Copy Editor, News Editor and Senior Editor. She enjoys lists, poetry, piano, long sentences with archaic language, spending Sunday mornings with The New York Times, intellectual adventures and fluffy, yet sinister, cats.

Managing Editor

Frankie Knuckles

[email protected] | [email protected]

Frankie is a junior English/philosophy double major. They can be found knitting, eating potatoes in their various forms and drinking coffee and tea at all hours. They also enjoy cheesy romantic comedies, marathon media consumption and songs with witty lyrics.

Senior Editors

Duncan Aronson

[email protected]

Duncan Aronson ’21 is an education and political science major from Tokyo, Japan. He loves playing intramural sports, programming for the Japanese Association for Students, and rubbing his chin while tilting his head in skepticism.

Lucy Leonard

[email protected]

Lucy Leonard ’22 is a history major from Maplewood, New Jersey. Prior to serving as Senior Editor, Lucy spent her Tuesday nights purging the Misc of unnecessary hyphenation and the dreaded backwards apostrophe as Copy Editor. Out of the eight Lucys in her graduating class, this one can be distinguished by a love of Deece croissants, political dramas and duffel coats. 

Contributing Editors

Izzy Braham

[email protected]

Izzy Braham ’20 is a Political Science major with a Hispanic Studies correlate from Los Gatos, CA. She has written for the Misc since her first year at Vassar and has previously served as the Arts Editor. Her passions include Elena Ferrante books, eating peanut butter off of spoons, spilling the tea and having full control of the aux. Catch her at My Market buying more peanut butter.

Leah Cates

[email protected]

Leah Cates ’20, from Omaha, Nebraska, is a senior who is majoring in women’s studies with a correlate in creative writing, thereby rendering herself unemployable upon graduation. Prior to her tenure as Contributing Editor, Leah served as Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor and Humor & Satire Editor of the Misc. Besides renouncing sleep for the Misc, she enjoys serving as President of Generations and Academic Intern for the women’s studies program. She also likes to work out, but doesn’t get why you have to drop off your ID card at the AFC to be babysat by that plastic organizer, and wonders why more people don’t wander out ID-less.

Sasha Gopalakrishnan

[email protected]

Sasha Gopalakrishnan ’20 is an international student from Delhi, India. She is an International Studies major with a correlate in Women’s Studies and has been a part of the Misc since the fall of freshman year. She is also a part of Vassar Refugee Solidarity and South Asian Students’ Alliance, and she desperately tries to attend more than one meeting a year for VCTV, even as she flaunts it on her resume. You are most likely to catch her at Express, consuming copious amounts of coffee and wearing ~experimental~ earrings.

Mack Liederman

[email protected]

Mack Liederman ’20 is a political science major from Westfield, New Jersey.  Outside the pages of print, you can catch Mack calling play-by-play for varsity athletic events, or simply cruising around campus on his Penny board.

Editorial Board

News

Editors

Tiana Headley

[email protected]

Tiana Headley ’22 is a sophomore political science major who should have declared in sociology. She hails from Miami and will swiftly correct anyone who claims living in Miami and living in Florida are the same thing. Besides fulfilling her duties as News Editor, she also works as an intern at the ALANA Center. In her free time, she enjoys meme archiving and keeping tabs on all the cats she follows on Instagram. 

Aena Khan

[email protected]

Aena Khan is a sophomore international studies major.

Olivia Watson

[email protected]

Olivia ’22 is a sophomore from Indiana, who, after much reflection, is majoring in Neuroscience and Behavior with a correlate in Italian. When she’s not busy tracking down sources for news articles or frantically texting her co-editors, she works in Vassar’s Costume Shop, takes dance classes and loves getting bagels at the Deece. 

Arts

Editor

Taylor Stewart

[email protected]

Taylor Stewart ’22 is a sophomore from Tokyo, Japan, who tells people she is an English major. She believes Mort Garson’s “Plantasia,” an album recorded for the listening pleasure of plants, is one of the best records of all time. She likes drawing, but likes looking at (and writing about) others’ drawings far more. Inspirations include Italo Calvino, Chowder and Garo Magazine.

Features

Assistant Editor

Gillian Redstone

[email protected]

Gillian Redstone ’21 is a junior from Northbrook, Illinois with double majors in Art History and Italian. She just returned from her semester studying in Bologna, Italy and is excited to bring her newfound perspectives into her writing for the Misc. She most enjoys writing about art/musuems, travel, music, television and food, and can basically always be found doing anything that involves those five topics. Beyond the Misc, Gillian zooms around mountains with Ski Team, co-music directs for the Vassar College Majors and spends countless hours in the Art Library, which she fondly refers to as the “Art Dungeon.”

Humor & Satire

Editor

Francisco Andrade

[email protected]

Francisco Andrade is a Media Studies and Education Major. Fans have described him as “chaos personified” and “I don’t know who that is.” He is an Army veteran and has managed to complete six years of military service and still look like he is 15 years old. When he isn’t playing his cello or writing humor articles he can be found near the Vassar woods, shouting into the darkness.

Opinions

Editor

Jonas Trostle

[email protected]

Jonas Trostle ’21 is a rising junior who is pursuing a major in economics with minors in math and Greek and Roman Studies. When he is back amongst civilization, Jonas serves as treasurer for Vassar’s Mock Trial team, as well as being the Opinions Editor for The Miscellany News. His writing focuses on the intersection of law and policy, and how simple decisions can have long-term and unforeseen consequences. When he’s not writing, he spends his time basking in the sun, caring for his potted plant (Andi) or listening to ’90s industrial rock.

Assistant Editor

Abram Gregory

[email protected]

Abram Gregory ’21 is a philosophy-English double major. His areas of focus are Hegelian ethics and medieval aesthetics’ presence in modern literature. He’s on the varsity fencing team and competes at the regional and national level. When he isn’t busy on the fencing piste or knee-deep in theory, Abram enjoys occupying the office of your friendly neighborhood pessimist in the Opinions section.

Sports

Editors

Jonah Frere-Holmes

[email protected]

Jonah Frere-Holmes submitted his bio minutes before the deadline. He appreciates basketball and Chinese food, and wants to know who you endorse for president in 2020. He is still mourning the loss of his student MetroCard.

Dean Kopitsky

[email protected]

Dean Kopitsky ’22 is a sophomore at Vassar, meaning he doesn’t know what he’s majoring in, but American Studies is what he tells concerned inquirers. While he wants to pursue a career in journalism, his prospects are dim, as he only writes when “inspired.” Outside of school, he appreciates a good trail run followed by mowing down enough hash browns and chocolate chip waffles to sedate a calf.

Assistant Editor

Jackie Molloy

[email protected]

Jackie Molloy is a sophomore.

Design

Assistant Editor

Mohtad Allawalla

[email protected]du

Mohtad Allawala ’23 is a prospective International Studies major from Karachi, Pakistan, who shares a love/hate relationship with InDesign. When he is not at the Deece, Mohtad can be found at the library’s 24 hour section, where he is frequently the last one to leave. He likes talking about how great his hometown is and loves wearing shorts in freezing temperatures. Mohtad is also class senator for the VSA and part of the Vassar March For Our Lives chapter. 

Copy

Assistant Editors

Jacqueline Gill

[email protected]

Jacqueline Gill ’23 is a prospective English major from San Jose, CA. When she’s not debating the infamous Oxford comma or checking citations, she can be found reading in the Old Bookstore or hanging out with her friends.

Phoebe Jacoby

[email protected]

Phoebe Jacoby ’22 is a Media Studies major from Connecticut with a potential correlate in Studio Art. When she isn’t copyediting for the Misc, she likes watching rom-coms, thinking about doing crosswords and appreciating pesto as the superior condiment. During her time at Vassar, she has found the Deece booths to be an excellent nap spot.

Caitlin Patterson

[email protected]

Caitlin Patterson ’22 is a Political Science major who is still lamenting Vassar’s lack of  a Media Studies correlate. A second-generation copy editor, she has worked on Copy Staff since her first semester at Vassar. When she’s not reacquainting herself with the AP style guide, she enjoys complaining about the cold, listening to obscure music and collecting clothes in Pantone color 2226 C.

Photo

Editor

Yvette Hu

[email protected]

Yvette Hu ’22 is a prospective Media Studies major from Shanghai, China, who also loves world literature, art history and psychology. When she’s not rushing across the campus to take photos for various events, she might be playing the piano in Skinner or singing along with the guitar and having long, soothing conversations with her bestie. She is also passionate about writing and is currently involved in the ASC magazine Portrait.

Business

Manager

Robert Pinataro

[email protected]

Robert Pinataro is from Jacksonville, FL and is a senior economics major at Vassar. Outside of the classroom, he is a catcher on the Vassar baseball team and has worked for the Miscellany News since his freshman year as a Columnist, Sports Editor and now Business Manager.

Online

Webmaster

Mohamad Safadieh

[email protected]

Social Media

Editor

Natalie Bober

[email protected]

Natalie Bober ’21 is an Educational Studies major with an Art History correlate.  She is the president of Big Night In, a member of the Education Students Committee and a frequenter of the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center.  In her free time she makes jewelry and binge watches makeup videos, all while snacking on anything containing chocolate.

Video

Production Manager

Alexis Cerritos | [email protected]

Alexis Cerritos ’22 is a founding member of the Misc’s video production team. When he’s not behind a camera, you can find him napping—when he’s not napping, you can find him behind a DJ board or procrastinating. He’s always down to discuss the latest news in the hip-hop world.

Audio

Editor

Alex Barnard | [email protected]

Alex Barnard ’21 is the Misc’s first audio editor! Formerly an arts columnist, Alex edits, organizes and oversees the production of the Misc’s podcasts. When he’s not busy with classes and his various duties for the paper, Alex can be found playing guitar, listening to Black Sabbath or watching Letterkenny (which he thinks more people should watch. It’s on Hulu so…yeah watch it).

Contributors

Reporters

Delila Ames

Carissa Clough

Rayan El Amine

Sara Lawler

Columnists

Sawyer Bush

Lindsay Craig

Rohan Dutta

XinRui Ong

Ivanna Guerra

Photographers

Sherry Liao

Graphic Designers

Juliette Pope

Copy Staff

Jason Han

Amanda Herring

Tiffany Trumble

Crossword

Frank