The Miscellany News, one of the oldest collegiate weeklies in the country, has served as the student newspaper of Vassar College since 1866. Produced by more than 40 student volunteers, The Miscellany News sets Vassar’s standard for in-depth reporting, creative thinking, exemplary writing and journalistic excellence. Student workers distribute the paper every Thursday morning during the academic year, and thousands of Vassar students, faculty members, administrators, staff, alumnae/i and Arlington readers flip through it over their morning coffee to stay up to date with the latest campus goings-on.

We welcome submissions from all members of the College community to supplement contributions from our staff of over 40 reporters, columnists, photographers, multimedia correspondents, designers and editors. Visit us at 9 p.m. in the Rose Parlor of Main Building every Sunday night for an informal discussion of the week’s paper (Paper Critique), or contact us at [email protected] to get involved.

Executive Board

Editor-in-Chief

Lucy Leonard

[email protected] | [email protected]

Lucy Leonard ’22 is a history major from Maplewood, New Jersey. Prior to serving as Editor-in-Chief, Lucy spent her Tuesday nights purging the Misc of unnecessary hyphenation and the dreaded backwards apostrophe as Copy Editor. Out of the eight Lucys in her graduating class, this one can be distinguished by a love of Deece croissants, political dramas and duffel coats. 

Managing Editor

Aena Khan

[email protected]

Aena Khan is a sophomore who declared a major in International Studies instead of choosing between History and Political Science, and a correlate in Arabic Studies. When she isn’t glued to her email or frantically finishing a reading, Aena works in the Admissions office and with the Vassar Refugee Solidarity. She would much rather be reading personal essays (pretty much always from Joan Didion) and enjoying atrocious amounts of caffeine.  

Senior Editors

Ted Chmyz

[email protected] 

Ted Chmyz ’21 is from Los Altos, California and is a reluctant Economics major. When he’s not fighting the long fight against Oxford commas he can be found playing frisbee at six in the morning in the Bays or waiting for the Deece to refresh its cookie supply. Otherwise, he is likely in his room, watching his fantasy football team’s progress on eight tabs at once.

Taylor Stewart

[email protected]

Taylor Stewart ’22 is a sophomore from Tokyo, Japan, who tells people she is an English major. She believes Mort Garson’s “Plantasia,” an album recorded for the listening pleasure of plants, is one of the best records of all time. She likes drawing, but likes looking at (and writing about) others’ drawings far more. Inspirations include Italo Calvino, Chowder and Garo Magazine.

Abby Tarwater

[email protected]

Abby Tarwater ’21 is an English major from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania who is also interested in history. When she’s not writing for the Misc, Abby can be found working in the Writing Center or dancing with Vass Shakers. She also enjoys long naps, tarot cards, reading and listening to records.

Contributing Editors

Duncan Aronson

[email protected]

Duncan Aronson ’21 is an education and political science major from Tokyo, Japan. He loves playing intramural sports, programming for the Japanese Association for Students, and rubbing his chin while tilting his head in skepticism.

Jessica Moss

[email protected]

Jessica is a political science and Russian Studies double major. She has previously served as Copy Editor, News Editor, Senior Editor and Editor-in-Chief. She enjoys lists, poetry, piano, long sentences, Sunday mornings and fluffy, yet sinister, cats.

Holly Shulman

[email protected]

Holly Shulman ’21 is a Hispanic studies major who spends a considerable amount of time contemplating potential double majors and/or correlates. She arrived at the Misc somewhat accidentally, having submitted one article on a whim over the summer and subsequently fallen prey to emails with the subject line “Just in case you want to write again this week…” Besides serving as a Contributing Editor, she is a VELLOP tutor, a research assistant and a member of the Vassar Equestrian Team, a statement which is frequently proceeded by a chorus of “I didn’t know that existed!”s.

Editorial Board

News

Editors

Tiana Headley

[email protected]

Tiana Headley ’22 is a sophomore political science major who should have declared in sociology. She hails from Miami and will swiftly correct anyone who claims living in Miami and living in Florida are the same thing. Besides fulfilling her duties as News Editor, she also works as an intern at the ALANA Center. In her free time, she enjoys meme archiving and keeping tabs on all the cats she follows on Instagram. 

Olivia Watson

[email protected]

Olivia Watson ’22 is a sophomore from Indiana, who, after much reflection, is majoring in Neuroscience and Behavior with a correlate in Italian. When she’s not busy tracking down sources for news articles or frantically texting her co-editors, she works in Vassar’s Costume Shop, takes dance classes and loves getting bagels at the Deece. 

Features

Editor

Janet Song

[email protected]

Janet Song ’23 did not tell her mom she gave up her Economics major to study English and Media Studies. Time is an illusion to her and she somehow manages to cram her time with the Misc, Portrait, Vassar Asian American Working Group, and late night sessions of Stardew Valley gameplay. If she is not sleep deprived, she can be found with her stuffed alpaca RJ watching compilations of badly written Riverdale lines.

Assistant Editor

Gillian Redstone

[email protected]

Gillian Redstone ’21 is a junior from Northbrook, Illinois with double majors in Art History and Italian. She just returned from her semester studying in Bologna, Italy and is excited to bring her newfound perspectives into her writing for the Misc. She most enjoys writing about art/musuems, travel, music, television and food, and can basically always be found doing anything that involves those five topics. Beyond the Misc, Gillian zooms around mountains with Ski Team, co-music directs for the Vassar College Majors and spends countless hours in the Art Library, which she fondly refers to as the “Art Dungeon.”

Arts

Editor

Meghan Hayfield

[email protected]

Meghan Hayfield’22 is an English major and potential religion correlate from Long Island. She can often be found making a mess in the ceramics studio, taking pictures of trees, or, much to the dismay of everyone else, eating not-quite-ripe pears. Her favorites include summer tomatoes, biking downhill, Jane Austen and rain puddles.

Humor & Satire

Editor

Izzy Migani

[email protected]

Izzy Migani ’21 is from Guilford, Connecticut. She’s majoring in biology and has a double correlate in anthropology and art history. Her hobbies include drinking sangria, feeding the same two ducks every day, and showing everyone that cool shadow puppet she can do whether they ask about it or not.

Opinions

Editor

Jonas Trostle

[email protected]

Jonas Trostle ’21 is a rising junior who is pursuing a major in economics with a minor in Greek and Roman Studies. When he is back amongst civilization, Jonas serves as treasurer for Vassar’s Mock Trial team, as well as being the Opinions Editor for The Miscellany News. His writing focuses on the intersection of law and policy, and how simple decisions can have long-term and unforeseen consequences. When he’s not writing, he spends his time basking in the sun, caring for his potted plant (Andi) or listening to ’90s industrial rock.

Sports

Editors

Alex Eisert

[email protected]

Alex Eisert ’22 is a junior psychology major from New York City with prospective minors in economics and philosophy. He is interested in how and why people make decisions, something that he clearly struggled with himself when determining his course of study. When he isn’t scrolling through the backpages of the Vassar Athletics website looking for his latest Stat Chat inspiration, he can be found playing cards in the Retreat or taking pensive walks on Vassar’s nature preserve.

Dean Kopitsky

[email protected]

Dean Kopitsky ’22 is a sophomore at Vassar, meaning he doesn’t know what he’s majoring in, but American Studies is what he tells concerned inquirers. While he wants to pursue a career in journalism, his prospects are dim, as he only writes when “inspired.” Outside of school, he appreciates a good trail run followed by mowing down enough hash browns and chocolate chip waffles to sedate a calf.

Assistant Editor

Jackie Molloy

[email protected]

Jackie Molloy is a sophomore.

Design

Assistant Editor

Mohtad Allawalla

[email protected]

Mohtad Allawala ’23 is a prospective International Studies major from Karachi, Pakistan, who shares a love/hate relationship with InDesign. When he is not at the Deece, Mohtad can be found at the library’s 24 hour section, where he is frequently the last one to leave. He likes talking about how great his hometown is and loves wearing shorts in freezing temperatures. Mohtad is also class senator for the VSA and part of the Vassar March For Our Lives chapter. 

Rose Parker

[email protected]

Lilly Tipton

[email protected]

Graphics

Editors

Julián Aguilar

[email protected]

Julián Aguilar ’23 is a prospective Science, Technology, and Society major and Urban Studies correlate sequence from rural California. At Vassar, Julián serves as the Graphics Editor for the Miscellany News, contributing Graphic Designer for the Grey Matters Journal, Web and Publication Intern for Vassar’s Computing and Information Services, College Planning Senator in the Vassar Student Association, and as the 2021 Head Advising Fellow for Matricualte Vassar. Outside of his academic and extracurricular activities, Julián also operates a non-profit organization as the founding President of the Board. In his free time, Julián loves to enjoy a good cup of pour-over coffee and spend time with his dog, Rocky.

Ciara Murray-Jordan

[email protected]

Juliette Pope

[email protected]

Juliette Pope ’21 is a Psychology major and studio art minor from London (but no she doesn’t have an accent so stop asking). Her journey to becoming a part of the Misc was all a bit of a blur and she isn’t really sure how she got here, but supposes she probably wouldn’t change it anyway. Outside of making graphics for the Misc, Juliette enjoys all forms of art except painting, making color-coded schedules (another form of art if you ask her) and thinks her life would be greatly improved if she had a pet snake.

Copy

Editors

Jacqueline Gill

[email protected]

Jacqueline Gill ’23 is a prospective English major from San Jose, CA. When she’s not debating the infamous Oxford comma or checking citations, she can be found reading in the Old Bookstore or hanging out with her friends.

Caitlin Patterson

[email protected]

Caitlin Patterson ’22 is a Political Science major who is still lamenting Vassar’s lack of  a Media Studies correlate. A second-generation copy editor, she has worked on Copy Staff since her first semester at Vassar. When she’s not reacquainting herself with the AP style guide, she enjoys complaining about the cold, listening to obscure music and collecting clothes in Pantone color 2226 C.

Assistant Editor

Phoebe Jacoby

[email protected]

Phoebe Jacoby ’22 is a Media Studies major from Connecticut with a potential correlate in Studio Art. When she isn’t copyediting for the Misc, she likes watching rom-coms, thinking about doing crosswords and appreciating pesto as the superior condiment. During her time at Vassar, she has found the Deece booths to be an excellent nap spot.

Photo

Assistant Editors

Yvette Hu

[email protected]

Yvette Hu ’22 is a prospective Media Studies major from Shanghai, China, who also loves world literature, art history and psychology. When she’s not rushing across the campus to take photos for various events, she might be playing the piano in Skinner or singing along with the guitar and having long, soothing conversations with her bestie. She is also passionate about writing and is currently involved in the ASC magazine Portrait.

Grace Rousell

[email protected]

Business

Manager

Emma Tanner

[email protected]

Emma Tanner ‘22 is an STS major from Northampton, Massachusetts. She is a member of the Vassar Women’s Soccer team and loves nothing more than a good oversized groutfit.

Social Media

Editor

Natalie Bober

[email protected]

Natalie Bober ’21 is an Educational Studies major with an Art History correlate.  She is the president of Big Night In, a member of the Education Students Committee and a frequenter of the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center.  In her free time she makes jewelry and binge watches makeup videos, all while snacking on anything containing chocolate.

Video

Production Manager

Alexis Cerritos | [email protected]

Alexis Cerritos ’22 is a founding member of the Misc’s video production team. When he’s not behind a camera, you can find him napping—when he’s not napping, you can find him behind a DJ board or procrastinating. He’s always down to discuss the latest news in the hip-hop world.

Audio

Editors

Alex Barnard | [email protected]

Alex Barnard ’21 is the Misc’s first audio editor! Formerly an arts columnist, Alex edits, organizes and oversees the production of the Misc’s podcasts. When he’s not busy with classes and his various duties for the paper, Alex can be found playing guitar, listening to Black Sabbath or watching Letterkenny (which he thinks more people should watch. It’s on Hulu so…yeah watch it).

Live Events Commitee

Chairperson

Ben Scharf

[email protected]

Ben is a sophomore from Worcester MA, switching indecisively between a major in Psychology and Cognitive Science. He enjoys loud music, watching cooking shows (strictly for the ASMR triggers) and drumming. He loves the 1975, and painfully misses the Dixie Chicks. Reach out to him with any and all event inquiries. Office hours are held every weeknight, 1:00-1:30am in the basement of Davi, next to the vending machines. 

Contributors

Reporters

Delila Ames

Alysa Chen

Rayan El Amine

Sara Lawler

Leila Raines

Columnists

Sawyer Bush

Madison Caress

Madi Donat

Rohan Dutta

XinRui Ong

Photographers

Sherry Liao

Copy Staff

Nina Ajemian

Taylor Gee

Jason Han

Emma Kahn

Jake Johnson

Tiffany Trumble

Crossword

Frank