The sun is a’shining, spring teams’ wins are aligning

The College Squash Association (CSA) Championships signaled the end of the women’s squash season. The Brewers ended their season with a winning record of 11-6 overall. / Photo courtesy of Carlisle Stockton

Men’s Volleyball
On Wednesday, Feb. 22, the Vassar men’s volleyball team had a chance of redemption against top-ranked Springfield College, who defeated the Brewers 3-0 a few weeks earlier. Unfortunately, history repeated itself and VC fell again 0-3.

However, VC showed significant improvement, and finished two of the three sets with more points on the scoreboard than those played on Feb. 4. In fact, the Brewers finished in second set 23-25, making the Pride fight hard to earn the win.

Junior Matt Knigge continued his strong season by posting nine kills, four blocks and an ace. Meanwhile, fellow junior Zechariah Lee added 21 assists, eight digs and a block as senior captain tallied seven digs and two assists.

After losing 16-25 in the first set, VC came out with energy and earned a 5-3 lead in the second set. After Springfield climbed back to take a 10-7 lead, the Brewers kept fighting and with a 4-1 run, tied the game at 22 apiece. Following two more points from the Pride, a kill from freshman Yoni Auerbach pushed the score to 23-24.

However, a Springfield termination allowed the team to run away with the second set of the night. After a tight battle, the Brewers lost some steam and were defeated 13-25 in the last set. Yet, the third set still involved three ties and two lead changes. With this loss, Vassar unfortunately ended its six-game winning streak.

On Thursday, Feb. 23, VC regained momentum and defeated The Sage Colleges 3-0 with set scores of 25-13, 25-22, 25-18. This victory was highlighted by senior captain Trey Cimorelli, who earned his monumental 1000th dig of his collegiate career.

Cimorelli is the second Brewer to ever earn this accolade in program history. Recent graduate Christian La Du was the first Brewer to reach this accomplishment.

Although he only needed two to reach this benchmark, Cimorelli did not lighten up his dominance and tallied 11 digs against the Gators.

Continuing strong performances for the Burgundy and Gray, fellow senior captain Quinn Rutledge posted eight kills while Knigge added eight kills, five blocks and two aces. Sophomore George Diehl contributed seven kills, two blocks and two aces as senior captain Christian Lizana ended with six kills, six blocks and an ace.

Looking towards more accomplishments, Knigge sits just four assisted blocks away from rewriting the Vassar record set in YEAR by graduate Matt Elgin ’13.

After such a strong performance, the Brewers will practice for the next week before resuming play in a tri-match against the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Juniata College on Saturday, Mar. 4 at home.

Men’s tennis faced the University of Rochester with key performances from seniors Alexander
Luckmann, Nick Litsky, and Juan Felipe Laso. Their next match will be this Sunday. / Photo courtesy of Carlisle Stockton

Men’s Tennis
It was a shot by senior Alexander Luckmann that solidified the nail-biting 5-4 win over the University of Rochester on Saturday, Feb. 25. The Brewers found themselves in an early 0-4 deficit, but turned things around to recover and earn the win after strong singles play.

VC had a bumpy start to their first conference game as they fell in all doubles matches. At No. 1, senior Nick Litsky and Luckmann fell 3-8 against their Yellowjackets opponents, Aaron Mevorach and Masaru Fujimaki. Up next, senior Juan Felipe Laso and freshman Dom Demeterfi were bested at No. 3 doubles 8-4.

The closest doubles match was at No. 2; freshmen Jeremy Auh and Allen Sokolov battled back-and-forth and eventually forced a 7-7 tie. Nevertheless, Rochester pulled away with another win after scoring the eighth point.

Sophomores Nick Zuczek and Jamie Anderson handedly won their match 8-1, but because it was an exhibition match, Vassar did not earn any points with the victory.

At No. 5, Auh was unfortunately unable to turn things around in singles play as he fell 4-6, 5-7. However, this loss would spark momentum for VC as the team clinched the next five victories and their first conference win.

Facing Fujimaki once more, Litsky was ready for revenge and ran away victorious at No. 1 singles with scores of 7-5, 6-2. At No. 3, Laso earned the second win as he bested Rochester’s Sam Leeman 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.

The wins kept rolling in thanks to Anderson, who emerged victorious 7-5, 7-6 at No. 4. Sokolov tied the match as he secured a 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 win at the No. 2 spot.

With the teams tied with four points apiece, it was all down to the No. 6 singles match. Luckmann faced Yellowjackets Yifan Shen in three sets. After winning the first set 6-4, Luckmann experienced some difficulty and faltered 5-7 in the second. However, Luckmann answered with a 7-5 win of his own to earn the victory for the Brewers.

With this win, the team moves to a 5-2 overall record and a 3-1 conference record.

Up next, the team will travel to Ewing, NJ to face The College of New Jersey on Sunday, Mar. 5.

Women’s Lacrosse
The Vassar lacrosse team started its 2017 spring season with a home scrimmage against New Paltz on Saturday, Feb. 25. Due to its non-official manner, the teams faced off in two separate halves, setting the score to zero before each half.

Nevertheless, the Brewers ended each period with an advantage, with respective scores of 7-5 and 7-1. Therefore, VC claimed the victory with an overall score of 14-6.

Vassar started the day strong, earning a quick 3-0 lead. Senior captain Julia Trudell was the first to get on the scoreboards after maneuvering around the New Paltz goalkeeper to reach the back of the net. Shortly after, freshman midfielder Tessa Waters added another goal for the Brewers as she scored off of a free position. Minutes later, with another penalty shot, junior midfielder Olivia O’Loughlin tallied another goal to round out VC’s early run.

However, the Hawks quickly answered with two goals to shorten the margin to one.

Up next, sophomore midfielder Fiona MacLeod tallied another one for the Burgundy and Gray, with the assist coming from sophomore attacker Lindsay Wolk. The team then earned another three-goal lead as freshman Kelly Pushie tossed the ball to Trudell for her second goal.

Continuing the back-and-forth nature of the scrimmage, New Paltz scored twice more to narrow the score to 5-4. One of the Hawk’s goals resulted from a free position due to a Vassar foul.

The teams then went goal-for-goal as senior captain Brittany Botticelli launched the ball in the net, followed by another Hawk goal.

Freshman midfielder Adele MacEwen wrapped up the scoring efforts for the half as she scored Vassar’s third free position of the afternoon. With MacEwen’s contribution, the teams finished the first half with Vassar up 7-5.

With an blank slate and scoreboard, the Brewers entered the second half ready to assert more dominance.

Quickly into the first half, senior attacker Phoebe Hankins scored to lifted Vassar to a 1-0 lead. The next goal would come after an impressive save from junior goalkeeper Emily Chancey. After saving a New Paltz shot, Chancey launched the ball down the field, where it eventually found MacLeod. After this speedy transition, MacLeod contributed her second goal against the Hawks.

Junior attacker Storm Sideleau then scored an impressive left-handed shot to give Vassar another 3-0 lead. However, New Paltz then scored its lone goal of the half to make the score 3-1.

Following a second goal from Waters, MacLeod scored off of a free position to earn a hattrick. Sideleau then earned her second goal with a behind-the-goal assist from sophomore attacker Gabi Patick. Joining the two-goal club against the Hawks, Botticelli scored the final goal of the contest.

In the scrimmage, both Chancey and sophomore Kristin Caolo found home in the Vassar net. Caolo served as goalie in the first half as Chancey took the field during the second period. As Chancey tallied six back-to-back saves to start the second half, the goalies collectively finished with a save percentage of 53 percent.