Signing off for the summer: trading in sweat for soft serve

Baseball’s six seniors pose for the camera. These seniors led the team to three wins over Bard College on April 29 and 30. For the final conference weekend, the Brewers will face St. Lawrence. / Courtesy of Carlisle Stockton

Women’s Track and Field

A select group of the women’s track and field competed in the world-renowned Penn Relays on April 27 for 4×400 relay. The relay squad of seniors Alex Gittens, Lucy Balcezak, Saparja Nag and Molly Crowell and junior alternate Eliana Marcus-Tyler ran a speedy season-best 3:59.11, surpassing multiple Division I and II teams.

On April 30, the whole team competed in the Yale Springtime Invitational.

Sophomore Michelle Perri kicked off the Brewers’ success in the 100m dash, posting a collegiate-best 13.15 for 16th place. With another “best,” Crowell finished the 200m in a season-best 27.05 for 12th place, followed by Naga with a time of 27.53 for 17th.

Next up, Balcezak claimed an impressive 10th place in the 800m with a time of 2:20.68, followed by junior Savannah Wiman with a 2:22.58 for 13th. Sophomore Christiana Prater-Lee then clocked in at a season-best 11:09.71 in the 3000m to claim 16th place.

Sophomore Cameron Daddis then clinched Vassar’s best ranking on the day, 4th place, in the steeplechase with a time of 13:19.80.

Then the 4×100 relay of Perri, Nag, first-year Penelope Mort Ranta and sophomore Sophie Sharp took home fifth with a combined time of 52.32.

Vassar’s field competitors continued the success at Yale. Mort Ranta claimed sixth place in the high jump with a jump of 1.50 meters, firstyear Jackie Cenan finished in 10th in the discus with a distance of 30.31 meters and fellow firstyear Sabrina Stacks took home ninth place with a distance of 23.81 meters in the javelin.

The Brewers return to the track on Friday, May 5, for the 2017 Matthew Vassar Twilight meet at 5 p.m. At the meet, the squad will honor its seven seniors.

Men’s Track and Field

This past Sunday, the Brewers competed in the Yale Springtime Invitational in New Haven, CT. Despite Division I and II teams, VC posted impressive results to reach the leaderboards.

First up, first-year Skylar Widman finished the 100m in 11.39 to claim eighth place. Then in the 200m, junior Joel Johnson clocked in at a season-best 23.57 to earn 15th in the event. Senior Elijah Winston continued his impressive results, finishing the 400m in a mere 51.13 seconds to clinch second place.

In the 800m, five Brewers stepped up to the starting line. Senior Gabe Fishman crossed the finish line first for the Burgundy and Gray, claiming third place with a time of 1:56.55. Behind Fishman, junior Jared Freedman clinched 17th place with a time of 2:02.68 and sophomore Ry Blume earned 22nd place with a 2:05.69.

First-year Adin Becker zipped through the 1500m in a season-best 4:07.75 to earn second place. In the last track event for VC, the 4×100 relay team of Johnson, Widman, senior Louis Scaglione and first-year Anthony von Steuben raced a collective 44.23 to clinch fourth place in the event.

Then in the field events, junior Michael Walsh claimed fifth place in the triple jump with a distance of 11.79. Meanwhile, fellow junior George Whiteside placed ninth in the shot put with a personal-best toss of 10.13 meters.

Vassar will next host the Matthew Vassar Twilight meet on Friday, May 5, at 5 p.m., honoring its three seniors before the meet.

Women’s Lacrosse

The Vassar women’s lacrosse team had a stellar weekend sweep, beating Clarkson University 14-13 and St. Lawrence University 11-10. On Saturday, the team celebrated its five seniors Phoebe Hankins, Sydney Spadinger, Darby Stahl and captains Julia Trudell and Brittany Botticelli.

On Friday, Trudell was a powerhouse, contributing five goals, three draw controls and a ground ball. Trudell wrapped up her collegiate career with a total of 99 goals.

Behind Trudell, Hankins (1), juniors Storm Sideleau (1) and Amelia Rivoir (1), sophomore Fiona MacLeod (2) and first-years Tessa Waters (3) and Kelly Pushie (1) all reached the back of the net. Pushie also had a team-high three assists.

Junior goalkeeper Emily Chancey stopped six shots to lift the Brewers over Clarkson on Friday.

The very next day, a goal from Waters in overtime play would propel VC past St. Lawrence.

In regulation, Waters netted three more goals, followed by Sideleau with two. MacLeod, Pushie, junior Olivia O’Loughlin, sophomore Emily Hamburger and first-year Grace Goodwin-Boyd all also tallied one goal apiece.

MacLeod also scooped up a team-high five ground balls, while Botticelli led the team with three caused turnovers and O’Loughlin contributed a team-high four draw controls. Chancey was very strong in goal once again, tallying 12 saves on the day.

Unfortunately, although Vassar sits tied for fourth place, tiebreaker rules push the team out of playoffs. Losing five influential seniors, the team will return to action in the spring of 2018.

Women’s Tennis

As the squad celebrated its seniors Connie Yoo and Shayna Becker, Vassar annihilated Rochester Institute of Technology 9-0 on Saturday, April 29.

To get the wins rolling, Yoo and junior Dasha Ivenitsky earned a 8-0 victory at No. 3 doubles. Next up, junior Kate Christensen partnered with sophomore Morgane Flournoy to clinch a 8-1 win at No. 2. Lastly, the No. 1 doubles duo of Becker and first-year Tara Edwards earned a 8-4 over their RIT opponents.

Heading into singles action, Ivenitsky continued her domination with a strong 6-0, 6-0 victory at the No. 6 spot.

Yoo then clinched the win for the Brewers as she finished 6-1, 6-0 at No. 5. Edwards then stepped up to earn a 6-1, 6-0 win, while Flournoy clinched the victory with scores of 6-1, 6-1.

Similar to Yoo, Becker finished the day phenomenally with a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 2. Then to complete the sweep of RIT, Christensen claimed a 7-5, 6-0 victory at No. 1.

With its impressive record, the team will head into the Liberty League playoffs at the No. 2 seed. Vassar will take on St. Lawrence University in the semifinals on Friday, May 5.

Men’s Tennis

Unfortunately, in the team’s last match of the regular season, Vassar fell to Hobart College 4-5 in a nailbiter. Although the Brewers started off taking a 4-1 lead, they were unable to hold onto their momentum.

Kicking off the victories, senior Juan Felipe Laso and first-year Allen Sokolov topped their opponents 8-2 at No. 2 doubles. Shortly after, the duo of senior Alexander Luckmann and firstyear Jeremy Auh claimed a 8-4 victory at No. 1. Hobart then fought back to edge past senior Nick Litsky and sophomore Nick Zuczek 9-7.

Litsky then bounced back to handily clinch the win at No. 1 singles with perfect scores of 6-0, 6-0. Laso came back for more victories as he stayed tough to claim a 0-6, 6-1, 6-1 win.

Hobart then shifted the momentum and rallied the next four points. At No. 2, Sokolov fell in a difficult 7-5, 4-6, 2-6 loss, while sophomore Jamie Anderson was topped 1-6, 6-2, 3-6 at No. 4. After topping Auh with scores of 7-5, 6-2 and fellow first-year Zamir Birnbach 6-4, 6-4, the Dutchmen ran away with the match victory.

Despite their loss, the Brewers will still compete in the Liberty League playoffs as the third seed. In the first round, VC will compete against top-seeded Skidmore College on Saturday, March 6.

Baseball

Vassar went 3-1 this weekend against Bard College, including a doubleheader sweep on Senior Day. Senior Day, held on Saturday, April 29, honored VC’s six seniors: Denis Shanagher, Brad Kendall, Bobby Winkelmann, Trent Berg, Mike Koscielniak and Adam Erkis and on Saturday, the Brewers topped the Raptors 1-0 and 9-1, before they split Sunday with scores of 15-2, 3-4.

Erkis earned the win from the mound, impressively only allowing one hit throughout the entire contest. Meanwhile, sophomore Taylor Smach singled to center field to bring in firstyear Matt Martino, Vassar’s sole run of the game.

In the second game of the day, the batting Brewers heated up and scored nine runs over 12 hits. Martino was back again, this time hitting a single to bring junior Matt Hernandez home and put Vassar on the scoreboard.

Soon after, first-year Evan Trausch brought in Shanagher, and a wild pitch and Bard error resulted in a run from junior Bobby Kinne. Next, Smach singled to bring in sophomore Matt Schwartz. Vassar’s five-run rally was completed thanks to sophomore Jake Doyle and sophomore Bryan Rubin, who brought in Smach and Doyle, respectively.

Then in the second inning, Kinne singled to bring in Shanagher once more. Vassar’s ninth and final run came at the hands of Shanagher, who doubled and sent Rubin home. Bard scored once in the sixth inning, but the Brewers wrapped up the day with a significant win. Berg earned the win on the day, allowing eight hits and one run.

The very next day, the Brewers widened the margin to capture an impressive 15-2 win. Kinne kicked things off, hitting a triple to bring home both Trausch and Martino. Then, after a run from Bard, the Brewers rallied with nine runs in the fourth inning. After a walk from Doyle sent Kinne home, Koscielniak singled to bring in first-year Daniel Bonfiglio, Smach scored with on a hit from Shanagher and Martino was awarded another walk to send home Doyle.

Up next, Trausch scored two runs on a single, bringing home both Shanagher and Koscielniak. Kinne also scored a pair of runs off of a double, sending Trausch and Martino to home plate. Bonfiglio was up next, hitting a double to bring in Kinne.

Then in the fifth inning, Trausch hit yet another double to send home both Martino and sophomore Alex Hartnett. Kinne then stepped up to the plate to earn a run from Trausch. Rubin would bring in the very last run of the game, as he doubled and brought in Kinne.

First-year pitcher Jake Silver earned the win, allowing only four hits and two runs.

Despite domination throughout the weekend, the Brewers lost some steam and eventually fell 3-4 late Sunday afternoon. Vassar took an early 3-0 lead by the fourth inning, but Bard fired back to claim the victory.

With a hit from Shanagher, Schwartz scored the first run of the day. Trausch and Kinne scored the last two runs of the weekend, both off of wild pitches. Bard reversed the momentum in the fifth inning to tie the game. Then in the tenth inning, Bard scored one run to claim the victory.

After this weekend, the Brewers advance their conference record to 9-8 and will wrap up their regular season with a pair of doubleheaders against St. Lawrence University on May 6 and 7.

Men’s Rowing

In the Spring Metropolitan Championships, the Brewers, led by the Novice 4+, raced to victory.

The Novice 4+ finished the 2000m course in 7:51 to claim second place in their heat and third place overall. With this impressive finish, the squad was awarded a bronze medal.

For the next event, Vassar loaded up two boats, one Varsity 4+ crew and a 2nd Varsity 4+ squad.

The Varsity 4+ boat took home third place with a time of 7:55. Then in the second heat, the 2nd Varsity 4+ completed the course in 8:25.

Due to their strong performance, the Brewers competed in the Varsity 4+ final for the Spring Metropolitan Championship title. VC clinched fourth place with a time of 7:32.

On Saturday, the Brewers will travel to Saratoga Springs, NY to compete in the New York State Collegiate Championships.

Women’s Rowing

On Saturday, April 29, Vassar competed in the Spring Metropolitan Championships. Throughout the day, the Brewers posted strong results.

First off, the Varsity 8+ finished in fourth place with a time of 7:38 behind some strong Division I competition. Next up, the 2nd Varsity 8+ chalked up an impressive third place finish with a time of 8:06. Like the men’s team, this finish earned them a shiny bronze medal.

To finish off the day, the Varsity 4+ crew took to the water. Vassar claimed another fourth place finish, clocking in at 10:32 despite the day’s roughest water conditions.

For the last competition of the year, VC will race in the New York State Collegiate Championships on Saturday, April 6.