“JYA-er” divulges how “great” it is to “actually” be abroad

Courtesy of Flickr.

Every week, a different student writes about their incredible experiences studying abroad. Living in a foreign country, or even just leaving Vassar for another part of the United States, seems to give everyone so much perspective and so many great opportunities or whatever. Well, I’m facing new challenges and growing and changing, too, because I’m also abroad this semester, and it’s wonderful and everything is perfect. It’s PERFECT.

It’s possible that many of you read my articles every week and are wondering why I didn’t mention this sooner. The answer is: I don’t need to tell everybody I’m abroad to feel validated in my experiences. I know my time abroad is happening because I’m living it vicariously and freely, so suck it to all of you still stuck at school. My study abroad experience is completely flawless, and I’m going to return to campus a completely changed person and make everything better at Vassar because of it.

Those of you who are claiming that you’ve seen me at the Goose (Gordon Commons? Deece?) this semester are probably wondering where exactly in the world I am. That’s not really any of your business, but let me tell you it’s the most beautiful, secluded, scenic farm wilderness retreat within a ten-minute walk of a major metropolis/world-renowned city. I spend my days with my host family tending to the crops and livestock and climbing through the snow-filled mountains to find waterfalls that overlook the warm, inviting ocean, but I’m still close enough to other university students that I never feel alone and always have people to go out with on the weekends.

Speaking of friends, I’ve made so many friends that you wouldn’t believe it. I’ve fallen in love with seven different people, and we’re all going to get married to each other and live happily ever freaking after. So yeah, I’d say my semester away is pretty damn great. I am never lonely.

I’ve achieved so many of my linguistic goals because I’ve been extremely close to a major urban area. Not only have I learned to speak every single language in the world, but I also haven’t spoken a word of English since I arrived. What’s more, I’m not even tired of not speaking English. Living my whole entire day in my second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth, eleventh, twelvefth and so on languages is easy and not even a little exhausting. I feel so cosmopolitan, and I’m such a good citizen of the world that it doesn’t bother me to completely abandon my native language forever. Look how much I’ve broadened my horizons.

You’re probably wondering why I have not included any pictures with this article. If the place where I’m studying abroad is so amazing, why would I not take any pictures? It’s definitely because I value experiencing life through the lenses of my eyes and n0t the lenses of my phone or camera, and it’s not because I’m still at Vassar trying really hard to write a compelling thesis statement for my German Cinema paper. I just like to live in the world.

It feels more authentic to remember it and tell you all about it with my words rather than in pictures that are basically processed reality. Why do you want to see where I’m studying abroad so badly anyway? Get your own incredible place to study abroad.

Well, that’s about as much time as I have to write this. I’m too busy going on life-altering adventures to spend more time on this article. In the meantime, if anyone who’s still on campus has seen my VCard, I definitely didn’t lose it myself because I’m not there, but the last place someone who isn’t me remembers having it is between Main and the Goose, so if you find it please return it.

Much love, Blair