Updates from the VSA

Members of the 2017-18 VSA Senate welcomed the Class of 2021 with colorful handmade signs outside Vassar’s Main Gate on move-in day on Monday, Aug. 21. / Courtesy of Vassar College

1. Election Timeline, Fall 2017

Filing opens: Tuesday, Sept. 5, at 12 p.m.

Filing closes: Sunday, Sept. 10, at 12 p.m.

Mandatory candidate’s meeting: Sunday, Sept. 10, at 7 p.m., Location to be determined

Campaigning Begins: Immediately after Candidate’s Meeting

Campaigning Ends: Friday, Sept. 15, at 12 p.m.

Voting: Friday, Sept. 15, 12 p.m. to Sunday, Sept. 17, 12 p.m.

Results Announced: Sunday, Sept. 17, 9 p.m., Old Bookstore (subject to change)

2. Amendments to the VSA Bylaws

The VSA Senate passed amendments to the following bylaws at their meeting on Monday, Sept. 4.

Amendment 1: An Amendment Concerning the Co-Chairs of Board of Students Affairs
SECTION 1: Let Article VIII, Section 3, Part B of the VSA Constitution be amended to read as follows:
B. The Board shall be chaired by either or both the elected Co-Chair of Equity and Inclusion or Chair of Academics.

Amendment 2: An Amendment Concerning House First-Year Representatives, 2017
SECTION 1: Let Article VI, Section 4, Part E of the VSA Bylaws be amended to read as follows:
E. The First-Year Representative shall represent the interests of their first-year class in their House to their House Team, shall sit on at least one VSA committee, and shall sit on the First Year Programs Committee.

Amendment 3

An Amendment Concerning the Student Status of VSA Senate Candidates
“SECTION 1: Let Article XI, Section 6, Clause A of the VSA Bylaws be amended to read as follows:
A. To be eligible for and hold any office in the VSA, a candidate person must be a full-time student at Vassar College.”

3. VSA Committee meeting times
(All meetings take place in the VSA office, located on the second floor of the College Center)

Equity and Inclusion: Fridays 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Orgs: Fridays 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Planning: Fridays 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Operations: Wednesdays 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Finance: Wednesdays 3 p.m. onwards

Health and Wellness: Mondays 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.

Programming: to be decided Board of Residential Affairs: to be decided

VSA Senate: Sundays 7 p.m. onwards (New England 105)

4. Executive Board Office Hours

Anish Kanoria (President and Interim Vice President): Mondays 2:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. and by appointment. More office hours to be announced soon.

Tamar Ballard (Chair of Equity and Inclusion): Mondays 1 to 3:30 p.m., Thursdays 3 to 4:30 p.m. and Fridays 4 to 5 p.m.

Robyn Lin (Chair of Finance): Mondays 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesdays 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. and Thursdays 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

Pat DeYoung (Chair of Organizations): Mondays 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., Thursdays 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.

Takunda Maisva (Chair of Residential Affairs): To be decided

Joaquim Gonçalves (Chair of Academics): To be decided